IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

My Witness Statement is due

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 April 2017 at 5:27PM
    Follow the links in order to find proof that the part of the POFA 2012 relating to private parking charges was enacted on the 1st of October 2012, starting with item 3 of the first link.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/2075/contents/made

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/2075/article/3/made

Item 3 (c), recovery of unpaid parking charges, Schedule 4, Section 56.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/9/schedule/4/enacted
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • ElParque
    ElParque Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    My Witness Statement - Updated.

WITNESS STATEMENT

I, xxxxxxxxxx of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, am the defendant in this claim. I am unrepresented, with no experience of Court procedures. If I do not set out documents in the way that the Claimant may do, I trust the Court will excuse my inexperience. In this Witness statement, the facts and matters stated are true and within my own knowledge, except where indicated otherwise.

1. Whilst I was the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned, I was not the main driver of the car and indeed very rarely drove it. I have no idea who was the driver at the time of the incident and nor is there is any evidence of the driver's identity. As this event has been resurrected from so many years ago, I think it extremely unrealistic to expect me to recall who might have been driving the car on one particular day back then.

Exhibit 1 - Proof of main driver.

2. As I am unable to recall who was the driver at the time of the supposed event I therefore put Excel to strict proof that any contract can exist between them and me.

3. At the time in 2012, the car insurance covered more than one family member, who I have no obligation to name to a private parking firm. It remains the burden of the Claimant to prove their case.

Exhibit 2 - Driving Licences of my wife and sons.

4. There was no requirement upon me as keeper to respond to what appeared to be junk mail, in early 2012, and in any event was not a matter where a registered keeper could be in any way legally liable as the law stood at that time. No adverse inference can be drawn from my lawful decision to ignore the colourful letter, impersonating a parking ticket yet with no basis in law.

5. Having not heard about this matter in years, suddenly in August 2016 I received a letter and a court claim out of the blue and I have researched this and discovered that Excel are issuing robo-claims for archive 'parking charges' in their thousands.

6. I am no more liable now than I was then, but this unwarranted harassment and baseless litigation has caused me significant distress and an inordinate amount of time to deal with, such that I intend to report Excel to the Information Commissioner for misuse of my data, obtained from the DVLA in 2012.

7. My DVLA data was supplied for the single strict purpose of enquiring who was driving, not for storing for five years then suing me as if I can now be held liable, in the hope I will not defend/will have lost the paperwork/will have moved house, or even better, that I will be so scared that I will pay over £264.70 ( including the legal insult of five years' interest), for what was apparently an unproven £100 charge, allegedly incurred by another party, if incurred at all.

8. It is apparent from court records reported in the public domain that this Claimant has been obtaining payments from keepers under false pretences - using the court as a cheap form of debt collection from the wrong 'registered keeper' parties - and has obtained default CCJs in the hundreds, despite never complying with the POFA 2012 and even bringing pre-POFA cases to the Courts, as here.

9. In 2012 after complaints about them for stating or implying on their documentation /signage that the vehicle owner/keeper is liable for the payment of parking charges in respect of parking contraventions and following an investigation, Excel were banned by the DVLA from access to keeper data. This is exactly what they have done in my case.

Exhibit- FOI Request 139931

10. The claimant has failed to properly respond to my request made on xxxxxxxxxxx by royal mail postal service, requesting any documentation and relevant contracts with the land owners that allow the claimant to issue claims upon the landowner’s behalf. My request was not actioned appropriately (I received a number of indistinct colour photos of my car, a photocopy of the original PCN and copies of letters supposedly sent to me 5 years ago, without further information).

I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.

Signed xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dated xxxxxxxxxxx

My exhibits are

1. Email from August 2011 indicating that I was not the main driver

2. Email confirming there were three cars parked nightly at 16 Parkhill Drive at that time

3. Photos of driving licences of my three children.

4. Protection of Freedom Act 2012

5. Photo of sign from the car park

6. EXHIBIT IL2 – POPLA ANNUAL REPORT 2015

7. Phoney Signs and Dodgy Fines by Martin Cutts

8. POPLA Annual Report 2015 by Harry Greenslade

9. EXCEL v Cutts 2011

10. ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 ('the Beavis case').

11. Excel v Ian Lamoureux 17 Nov 2016

My Skeleton Argument will discuss how these exhibits are relevant. I've struggled to understand the distinction between the WS and the Skeleton! Have I got it right?
  • ElParque
    First Anniversary
    How do I find the judgement in the case that parking Prankster refers to in a blog namely
    Excel v Mr B C7DP8F83 at Sheffield 14/12/2016

Apparently it shows how Elliot v Loake is inapplicable. I can't find it!
  • ElParque
    First Anniversary
    I should say that my court date is May 4 so I really do need to get my WS and exhibits sorted by tonight. I intend to deliver the docs to court in person tomorrow and email BW Legal at the same time.

Cheers
  • ElParque
    First Anniversary
    Here is my Skeleton Argument. Is it a good idea to include it with my WS or should I wait until I've seen the claimants WS before submitting it? Or should I simply turn up in court with it?

All advice very gratefully received!

Skeleton Argument

• The date of the alleged contravention occurred before the enactment of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (the POFA) which took effect from 1st October 2012, therefore the Keeper cannot be held liable in law.

POFA APPENDED AS EVIDENCE:

• In 2012, the year of this alleged parking event, Excel were sanctioned by the DVLA for stating or implying in signs or documents that a registered keeper could be held 'liable for the payment of charges' and/or had any 'legal responsibility' to name the driver. It is contended that this is exactly what Excel are now doing in this claim, conduct which was identified in 2012 as 'a significant breach' of their Trade Body Code of Practice with the British Parking Association. So serious a matter was this, Excel were banned from obtaining data by the DVLA for three months.

FOI RESPONSE* FROM DVLA APPENDED AS EVIDENCE

• The vital matter of 'keeper liability' regarding the law when parking on private land was confirmed by parking law expert barrister, Henry Greenslade, the previous PARKING ON PRIVATE LAND APPEALS (POPLA) Lead Adjudicator, in 2015 in the Annual Report where he stated:

“There is no ‘reasonable presumption’ in law that the registered keeper of a vehicle is the driver. Operators should never suggest anything of the sort. Further, a failure by the recipient of a notice issued under Schedule 4 to name the driver, does not of itself mean that the recipient has accepted that they were the driver at the material time. Unlike, for example, a Notice of Intended Prosecution where details of the driver of a vehicle must be supplied when requested by the police, pursuant to Section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, a keeper sent a Schedule 4 notice has no legal obligation to name the driver. [...] If... {POFA 2012 Schedule 4 is}... not complied with then keeper liability does not generally pass."

POPLA ANNUAL REPORT 2015 APPENDED AS EVIDENCE:

• Therefore, where an operator is unable to transfer the liability for the charge using the POFA, no lawful right exists to pursue unpaid parking charges from the keeper of the vehicle. In this case because of the indisputable fact that the event pre-dated the law I contend the operator is unable to transfer liability and pursue me, the keeper . This claim is founded upon a misrepresentation of facts and misrepresentation of the law.

The judge in the very recent case of Excel v Ian Lamoureux held that without using POFA and with no evidence as to the identity of the driver, the claim against Mr Lamoureux was misconceived and so was dismissed..

EXCEL v Ian Lamoureux 17 Nov 2016 appended as evidence

• The Claimant places reliance on its provision of signage at the site and upon the content of that signage. It is contended that the signs that were in place at the location were unclear and wordy, yet with the actual terms and 'parking charge' buried in small print, thus being incapable of forming a contract, as was found in many cases involving Excel signs at and around that time.

• Judge DJ Lateef's damning findings about Excel retail park signage in 2011 in Excel Parking Services v Cutts (case no: 1SE02795 at the Stockport County Court) included these observations from her visit in person: “The key issue was whether Excel had taken reasonable steps to draw to Mr Cutts’ attention to the terms and conditions of using the car park”. The signs were found inadequate and the claim was thrown out. It is contended that the signs here were of a similar low, incoherent standard of overly wordy terms in a blue and yellow design in early 2012.

• I produce an article from the Plain Language Commission which talks about the actual signs used by Excel at the time of the incident. They are shown to be indistinct and inadequate. Excel insisted at the time, on BBC 1's watchdog programme and in written answers to the program that their signs comply with BPA standards. (The BPA is a self-governing body run by its members and in their interests). Despite the supposed adequacy of the signage, Excel were unable to explain why they had issued 11,000 PCNs at one car park and had not taken any steps to make the signs clearer. The conclusion might be drawn that they have no interest in issuing fewer PCNs because that's how they make their money. Indeed, the less clear their signage is the more likely drivers are to not understand them and to end up with an invoice for supposed contravention.

• It is expected that this Claimant may try to counter that article about these signs but it is worth noting that this was within months of the Cutts case and it is also relevant that Mr Cutts manages the Plain Language Commission and is the author of Lucid Law, the Plain English Lexicon and the Oxford Guide to Plain English, so he is something of an authority on clear, legible terms. And the Judge agreed with him.

• Conversely, it is also worth noting that Simon Renshaw-Smith (previously known as 'Captain Clampit') who runs Excel, attacked the Judge’s integrity. He reportedly wrote to Stockport MP Andrew Gwynne: ‘The recent decision by Deputy District Judge Lateef, is an embarrassment to the judicial system. Such an off the wall judgment leads one to question if there was indeed an ulterior motive. DJ Lateef is not fit to serve the Civil Courts.’

APPENDED AS EVIDENCE: EXCEL V CUTTS 2011

'Phoney fines and dodgy signs take drivers for a ride' Plain Language Commission,

Edition 1 – 19 April 2012. Pages 24 -30 and 38 - 40

PHOTO OF SIGNAGE AT THE SITE TAKEN IN 2015.

• The original PCN I received recently by this Claimant states a Full Charge of £100.00 (£60.00 discounted) however the Claimant's legal firm now inflates these sums, in a deliberate or negligent attempt at quadruple recovery:
    1. £100.00 Principal debt, 2. Contractual Costs pursuant to PCN T&C - £54.00
    3. Interest - £35.70 4. Legal Representatives Costs £50.00, 5. Court Costs £25
    6. Outstanding balance to pay now £264.70

• It is clear that no checks have been made as to the facts of the alleged contract, signs or parking charge, in this Claimant's undue haste to issue robo-claims in their thousands, scraping the barrel of archive cases to bring to court, under excuse of jumping on the bandwagon started by the (completely different and complex) case in ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 ('the Beavis case').

• I counter the argument re the relevance of the Beavis case in case the claimant should make it. My case can be distinguished from the Beavis case, which was dependent upon Mr Beavis being the driver who accepted a clear contract, formed by unusually prominent signage. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice and the clear, prominent terms on brief signs was held to be paramount. None of this applies in my case.

THE BEAVIS CASE SIGN IS APPENDED AS EVIDENCE;

• The claimant cannot rely on Elliot v Loake ('EvL') to claim that the driver and the keeper can be 'assumed' to be the same, since this was a criminal case and referred to the owner, not the keeper. In any event, in EvL there was overwhelming forensic evidence from other sources that the defendant was the driver at the time. By contrast, in my case this Claimant has not offered any evidence to the driver's identity and cannot make any lawful assumption.

• The Claimant had no locus standi at the time of this parking event and at best, were contractors of a principal, the landowner. They have failed to show a cause for action by way of sight of a copy of the contract they have with the landowner to assign the right to enter into contracts with the public and to make claims and take civil action against drivers in their own name, in 2012.

• In any event, this Claimant fails to fulfil the requirements of CPR16.2 for particulars of claim in that they have neglected to set out any facts or state what it is they are claiming monies for. Their particulars of claim just state "monies due in respect of a parking charge notice" and do not say whether the sum is due as a contractual sum, damages for breach of contract or money due for something else, such as a liability for a failure of duty of care or trespass under common law tort.

• It is noted that in view of all of the above, the Court could decide of its own volition to strike this claim out under CPR 16.4 and as an unrepresented Defendant I ask the presiding Judge to use their case management powers and relieve me of the burden of having to appear to defend myself as registered keeper, in view of the Claimant having supplied no evidence of any basis for a claim against me in law.

I believe that the facts stated in this Skeleton Defence are true.

Signed

Dated
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 April 2017 at 12:24PM
    ElParque wrote: »
    How do I find the judgement in the case that parking Prankster refers to in a blog namely
    Excel v Mr B C7DP8F83 at Sheffield 14/12/2016

Apparently it shows how Elliot v Loake is inapplicable. I can't find it!

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/excel-lose-at-sheffield-elliot-v-loake.html

But this one is better.

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/excel-parking-youve-been-gladstoned.html

Ms Kauser kept coming back to the fact that as Mr C was in the car, even if he wasn't driving, he knows who was, and if he's not prepared to name the driver, it's a reasonable inference that he was driving, quoting Elliott v Loake as case law.

Bunkum, said Mr Wilkie, Elliot and Loake is a criminal case, which has no bearing on a civil matter, as Elliot was prosecuted for S.172, which cannot apply here.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • ElParque
    First Anniversary
    Sorry to mither but could one of the very wise members of this board take a look at my WS above and advise me of any changes that need to be made? I need to print all the stuff off tonight and take it to court tomorrow!

If you are able to, thanks in advance!
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 April 2017 at 9:01AM
    1. Whilst I was the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned, I was not the [strike]main[/strike] driver of the car [STRIKE]and, indeed very rarely drove it.[/STRIKE] In fact, i very rarely drove this vehicle [STRIKE] I have no idea who was the driver at the time of the incident and nor is there is any evidence of the driver's identity. As this event has been resurrected from so many years ago, I think it extremely unrealistic to expect me to recall who might have been driving the car on one particular day back then.[/STRIKE] The claimant has provided​ no evidence as to who was driving at the material time

[STRIKE]Exhibit[/STRIKE] 1. Proof of [STRIKE]main[/STRIKE] driver.

2. [STRIKE]As I am unable to recall who was the driver at the time of the supposed event I therefore put Excel to strict proof that any contract can exist between them and me.[/STRIKE] As there is no evidence of who was driving the claimant is held to strict proof on this matter

3. At the time in 2012, the car insurance covered more than one [STRIKE]family member,[/STRIKE] person [STRIKE]who I have no obligation to name to a private parking firm[/STRIKE] and as already stated the defendant very rarely drove the vehicle in question and was not the driver at the material time.[STRIKE] It remains the burden of the Claimant to prove their case.[/STRIKE]
  • ElParque
    First Anniversary
    Thanks for that Lamilad. I was going to produce as exhibits, the driving licences of my three sons, an email showing and that there were 3 cars between the 5 of us and an email recently obtained confirming that my wife was the main driver of the car.

Would you say that these exhibits are unnecessary?
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If your case is on the 4th may then you can file and serve your WS tomorrow - and your skeleton a few days before the hearing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure