Why not Youinvest?

I'm looking to transfer an under-performing ISA and had iWeb initially in my sights.

My intention is to switch funds into a different range of funds. The costs at Youinvest are £1.50 to buy a fund and 0.25% annual custody charge (under £250K). I will be staying pretty static. Is this not therefore a very good deal? For me anyway!

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Why pay the trading fee?

If a per centage fee is worth considering then you'd probably be better off with Cavendish, who also charge 0.25%, but no trading fees.

Are you sure that 0.25% will work out cheaper than flat fees from iWeb?
  • There are plenty of platform comparison sites around, I'm sure some kind soul will post a link. YI are one of the more expensive platforms. However, my experience is that they are reliable, the UI is easy to use and they respond to queries in a helpful manner, so as a user I am not too concerned at the charges. I have no idea what the transfer out fees are though.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ValiantSon wrote: »

Are you sure that 0.25% will work out cheaper than flat fees from iWeb?

If the flat fees by iWeb are £25 standard account opening charge and £5 to buy each new holding, then no!

iWeb has no custody charge then?
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    I moved away from Bell in 16 when they increased their charges without giving you an opt out (they have a history of this having done it before). Saved nearly 4 figures in charges myself. Apart from the large increase in fees they were fine, just saw no point in giving them so much money.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 8 February 2018 at 3:04PM
    I use Bell since the days when their Youinvest service was called Sippdeal and they're fine. When they changed the fee structure last time I was not really affected because a majority of my money is not in funds, but shares or ITs instead. It is worth plugging your scenario into the various comparison tools. At 0.25% they are not really one of the more expensive platforms, as pretty much all the percentage-based platforms are at least 0.25% or higher including the DIY ones and the ones typically used by intermediaries / IFAs. Vanguard is an outlier with its lower percentage but obviously restricted to its own products. Obviously for someone with a high value of funds to put on the platform, any percentage based provider will eventually be more than the flat fee ones.

For someone paying in monthly, the £1.50 a trade for funds or for regular investing in ITs or shares is not really a lot of cost per year, and is cheaper than you'd pay for deploying your 12 monthly contributions at IWeb as they have no 'regular investments program' to reduce the dealing fees.

But if you had £100k of funds under administration that would be £250 a year which would cover a lot of trading fees at IWeb (although you might find that not all the funds you want are available at IWeb of course). My SIPP is bigger than that but my funds component isn't.
  • schiff
    TY for all your replies :)

My fund is £50K, I won't be adding to it monthly, if at all. Sales/switches will be rare. It looks like iWeb.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A wise choice, assuming they don't shift the goal posts at their end any time soon.

Problem is I'll be moving three accounts there in April from IG so that's an impending risk to them imposing higher charges you probably hadn't considered..
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • schiff
    You must be shifting a lot of brass if you fear they'll up their charges after your three transfers!
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    it's not the brass I'm referring to, it's the misfortune.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure