Lenovo G5 plus promotion fraud?

Hi,
I have been trying to buy the g5 plus on the lenovo website for over a week. Every time i'd check the website it would be out of stock but it would come up with a promotion on the side:

Moto g5 plus....

£10 off with promo code UKWELCOME10.

Today the phone was in stock and I applied the promotion but the discount wasn't applied. I spoke to the chat service and she said the phone is a new model so the promotion won't apply and it is a mistake and 'the highest levels of management have been told.'

It has been up the website for a week- it's still on there NOW. No way it takes this long to remove a promotion. So is this against the law? Who do I report it too? Thanks.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    eskimo26 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have been trying to buy the g5 plus on the lenovo website for over a week. Every time i'd check the website it would be out of stock but it would come up with a promotion on the side:

Moto g5 plus....

£10 off with promo code UKWELCOME10.

Today the phone was in stock and I applied the promotion but the discount wasn't applied. I spoke to the chat service and she said the phone is a new model so the promotion won't apply and it is a mistake and 'the highest levels of management have been told.'

It has been up the website for a week- it's still on there NOW. No way it takes this long to remove a promotion. So is this against the law? Who do I report it too? Thanks.
    To answer your last question... Trading Standards.

This CAB webpage will help you: Report to Trading Standards
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You don't waste your time because no one is interested. It needs hundreds of complaints before anyone will take notice and as its no big deal you will be one of a very few complaints about it if any more.

To answer your question though if you insist in such a trivial complaint for an obvious mistake https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

Crossed post with the above, its not the trading standards they don't deal with individual complaints anymore, its the Advertising Standards Agency.
  • eskimo26
    eskimo26 Posts: 897
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bris wrote: »
    You don't waste your time because no one is interested. It needs hundreds of complaints before anyone will take notice and as its no big deal you will be one of a very few complaints about it if any more.

To answer your question though if you insist in such a trivial complaint for an obvious mistake https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

Crossed post with the above, its not the trading standards they don't deal with individual complaints anymore, its the Advertising Standards Agency.

I'll contact lenovo to see if they will offer a goodwill gesture, i'm a skint student so I can't afford the phone- it is being bought for me so it's not trivial for me.

This is why standards is this country are so poor and it'll never change because people view these things as 'trivial'. I just find it really irritating.

The promotion has been up at least a week and the website isn't processing any payment cards [I tried a few and had to use paypal in the end]. I asked twice for a Manager to contact me and she just gave me a toll free number and said to ring them. [It's there standard customer service number.]

The company lenovo are obviously a joke, if it wasn't for the reputation of the phone I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Unfortunately they bought or merged with motorola so they now own the moto range of phones.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,469
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'll contact lenovo to see if they will offer a goodwill gesture, i'm a skint student so I can't afford the phone- it is being bought for me so it's not trivial for me.

This is why standards is this country are so poor and it'll never change because people view these things as 'trivial'. I just find it really irritating.

The promotion has been up at least a week and the website isn't processing any payment cards [I tried a few and had to use paypal in the end]. I asked twice for a Manager to contact me and she just gave me a toll free number and said to ring them. [It's there standard customer service number.]

The company lenovo are obviously a joke, if it wasn't for the reputation of the phone I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Unfortunately they bought or merged with motorola so they now own the moto range of phones.

Maybe people value their time more then spending ages contacting various agencies for the sake of a £10 discount.

If you're a student, why not take advantage of the 15% student discount they offer? Also don't forget about going through a cashback site.
  • eskimo26
    Forumite
    edited 15 April 2017 at 11:41PM
    Maybe people value their time more then spending ages contacting various agencies for the sake of a £10 discount.

If you're a student, why not take advantage of the 15% student discount they offer? Also don't forget about going through a cashback site.

I went through all the rigmarole of applying for their student discount, got access to their student website where the phone was.... guess what? It was advertised but wasn't for sale.

I went through chat and they told me they don't do student discounts on all the products. So again they had it there on the student website with no explanation why you couldn't buy it.

Lenovo is the pits. I would have bought it from any other website but they only sell that specific phone themselves.

I probably won't chase it I just needed somewhere to let off steam. But seriously won't be considering lenovo products in the future period.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ...I just needed somewhere to let off steam.
    We have somewhere especially for that:
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    If you've such issues with Lenovo (all over a £10 discount), why are you continuing to deal with them now? You're going to have to deal with them again if there's any problems with the phone - and given that you think they are "the pits" and "a joke" that seems likely.

(Or are you just entirely overreacting?)
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,147
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Op - I assume you realise that you're actually purchasing the phone from China rather than the UK when using the Lenovo web site?
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite

If you think that Trading Standards in this country is poor, you should see what its like in Syria! ;) Over there they don't care if you've been sold a dodgy IED!! I also wonder if their "skint students" have access to the internet or a mobile phone...?

Very interesting :)

Anyways, back to the Lenovo G5...
  • eskimo26
    Forumite
    edited 26 April 2017 at 4:21PM
    Op - I assume you realise that you're actually purchasing the phone from China rather than the UK when using the Lenovo web site?

What? how so? So now I have my phone and they are telling me they are sold locked but they don't know to which network.

They are selling locked phones through there own website and their customer adviser on chat doesn't know to which network.

ok wait he just told me they 'work with every uk network' but locked to international networks. No wait a second he has now typed "sorry locked as mentioned previously." No wait he just said they can be used for any UK network again.

This is unreal. !!!!!!!' unreal.

Anyone have lenovos email for complaints, I'd ask the chat adviser again but frankly...
    IAmWales wrote: »
    If you've such issues with Lenovo (all over a £10 discount), why are you continuing to deal with them now? You're going to have to deal with them again if there's any problems with the phone - and given that you think they are "the pits" and "a joke" that seems likely.

(Or are you just entirely overreacting?)

It's arguably the best budget phone on the market period, the competition isn't really there at this price point. You get an extra 1gb of ram buying it through their website and no I don't think i'm overreacting the £10 promotion aside they have a website that won't take payments and a chat team who is frankly schizophrenic in there responses to simple yes and no questions.

I had a moto g2 when the company was with google. No issues, amazing phone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure