TV licence people wanting to open a 'full investigation'.

Comments

• Cornucopia wrote: »
    They don't - there has been no official mention of radio licensing.

The only other place I have seen it mentioned other than in Zapito's post, is in extreme "fantasy pro-BBC" posts on Digital Spy. I can only assume some kind of link between Zapito and that crowd.

Interestingly, radio licensing is proving to be a tricky issue for the German authorities in their adoption of a broadcasting levy. Stupidly, they decided that each vehicle with a radio in it would need a separate levy registration and payment.

We had that for many years in this country, until about 1970 I think.

Again, from memory, I think it was seven shillings and sixpence (37.5p) a year. I don't know anyone who ever bought one - I never did, but at the time the TV licence was £4, which included £1 duty (tax)!

But in those days, very few cars came with a radio fitted as standard - my Ford Zephyr 6 Mk3 was my first car which had one fitted, but that was considered a luxury car at the time.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Smodlet wrote: »
    You only have to be able to watch live TV, not actually do so. I think the BBC's take is to put the onus on the individual to prove they cannot receive a live TV signal. After all, anyone could say they don't watch it, couldn't they? The point is, if you have the equipment, you could watch it so therefore need a licence.
    How many more times?

It is actually watching or recording a live TV broadcast (from any source) that requires the licence, not mere possession of equipment capable of doing either.

As for "onus on the individual to prove they cannot receive ....", have you never heard of our 'innocent until proven guilty' justice system?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We were getting letters monthly, sometimes more often.

I normally returned to sender, but it got annoying so I wrote them a letter detailing the anxiety and stress they were causing by harrassing me in my own home, I also stated I would start legal proceedings if we were contacted by them again. Three years later, not a single letter from then.
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    I get the same every month without fail and every month it goes in the bin, I never paid TVL and I never will.
    What happens if you push this button?
  • Double_V
    Double_V Posts: 912 Forumite
    Do we must have TVL ?
    Do we not pay Sky or other companies to view programs ?

My friend doesn't have TVL and he said it's not mandatory. :|
    And he didn't give out his name to the guy who came to collect data etc.
    And all letters are to occupier and since last 3 years no TVL. And letters also stopped coming.
    And I am here paying £12.12 to TVL and £55 to Sky :(
  • Double_V
    Double_V Posts: 912 Forumite
    kingrulzuk wrote: »
    I get the same every month without fail and every month it goes in the bin, I never paid TVL and I never will.

Do you have a TV ?

Is it not mandatory ?
  • Join the resistance and don't pay the Regressive TV Tax
    https://www.facebook.com/activeresistancetothetvlicence/
  • Join the resistance and don't pay the Regressive TV Tax
    https://www.facebook.com/activeresistancetothetvlicence/

Just break the law and let others subsidise your viewing.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 31 May 2016 at 1:04PM
    Just break the law and let others subsidise your viewing.

Whilst my household is properly legally Licence-free, I think we need to recognise that the recent Government review confirms the BBC as a completely undemocratic organisation. The BBC has also had a failed governance model over recent years, although hopefully the move to regulation by OFCOM will address this (maybe).

TV Licensing itself is a completely dysfunctional organisation, with many, many questions about its operation and remit. (Number 1 on that list: what is its remit, where is it published and where does it originate in legislation?)

Against all of that, although I am critical of evaders not wanting to make the relatively small adjustment to Licence-free viewing via catch-up, I am mindful that I cannot point them to an alternative, democratic process by which to vent their feelings, because no such thing exists.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure