IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket in My Spot - Appeal Rejected - P4Parking

Options
MercilessKiller
MercilessKiller Posts: 7,143 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi All

I live in a development in London and own both the property and the parking spot allocated. I have a valid permit, which is registered to my car & numberplate. I was told when moving in that by registering my numberplate, if a ticket was given it can be rescinded. I can't find any documented evidence of that.

My car was in an accident. Following that, the permit was no longer stuck to the windscreen. Unfortunately, with the lovely hot weather my air con blew the permit onto the car seat and guess what? I got a ticket. 3 years of living at the property with car there every night but there we go.

I filed an appeal with P4Parking confirming my permit details, photographic evidence, the registered numberplate and what I was told when moving in. I was sent a letter confirming my appeal was denied as the signs around the development clearly say a permit MUST be visible at all times.

I find this crazy as I own the spot (though I guess technically the freeholder does seeing as everything around london is leasehold). But even so - what are my rights here? Could they really take me to court due to breaking contract of parking in my own registered spot? Their system should clearly have my number plate registered for that spot (which was the whole point of registering the number plate).

I guess the odd thing is why would ANYONE register their numberplate on the permit if it literally makes no difference? The system is there for a reason - surely.

Would love some advice on what to do or whether I just need to suck it up and pay the £60 (I have 14 more days to pay that before it goes up to £100).

Also, one thing to note, my car parking space is underground in a secure part of the development and not on the public road where other spaces are.

FYI I am now planning on filing a Popla appeal but also wanted to get thoughts.

Thank you!
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
[/FONT]

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Could they really take me to court due to breaking contract of parking in my own registered spot?

They could take you to court even if you didn't break the contract - or if they just dislike you - or for any made up reason. Anyone can sue anyone else for anything.

Whether they will depends on the company. Lots of them just wait for a stupid POPLA decision (as shown above) and hope people will pay.

Which parking company? UKPC?
  • MercilessKiller
    Options
    P4Parking apparently? I erroneously said it was a POPLA appeal - it wasnt. It was a p4parking appeal - I've now appealed to POPLA though.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    [/FONT]
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,035 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why are you agreeing to scammers making money on your property?
    What does your lease say about parking?

If you used that appeal to POPLA you will lose, pity you didn't come here first we could have helped kill this.

Your original post confirms that you have not sussed the scam that is private parking management, it's all about making profits for doing very little and scamming what they can.

Honesty, fair play, and reason play no part in fact it's quite the reverse.

Wait for your POPLA rejection, in the meantime read the newbies thread, then ignore all but court papers if they arrive, though you will get loads of scrap from debt collectors that can be ignored as they are powerless.

Also get on to the management company that engaged these parasites and tell them to call of their tame Muppets.

The good news is that P4 have never seen the inside of a court to date!
  • MercilessKiller
    Options
    We are reviewing their contract and opening up an RFP to replace them - so the good news is we know how crap they area.

I've added all the info to the POPLA appeal including a picture of my permit on the car seat (with EXIF data), and confirming there are no visible signs, and confirming my numberplate is registered to the space on THEIR system.

It sounds like I shouldn't consider paying though :)
    [/FONT]
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It sounds like I shouldn't consider paying though

Are you merciless or not. You might want to think about changing your name if you are even considering paying.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We are reviewing their contract and opening up an RFP to [STRIKE]replace [/STRIKE]remove them
    That would be a better idea.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,035 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We are reviewing their contract and opening up an RFP to replace them - so the good news is we know how crap they area.

I've added all the info to the POPLA appeal including a picture of my permit on the car seat (with EXIF data), and confirming there are no visible signs, and confirming my numberplate is registered to the space on THEIR system.

It sounds like I shouldn't consider paying though :)

You should get P4's evidence to POPLA you must go through it and refute everything you can, what ever you do don't pay a scam.

The only way these PPC's make money is through motorists making errors, if their management of parking worked and there were no violations of their T&C's there would be no PPC, think about it!

This is why all appeals are rejected in the name of a fast buck, and POPLA only uphold technicalities, signage non compliance, COP non compliance, and PoFA non compliance.

Eg., "My permit was on the seat" won't wash, the PPC will say the T&C's say in clear view on the dashboard POPLA will agree!

No one that comes on here is advised to pay!
  • MercilessKiller
    Options
    Ha - thanks everyone. I will mercilessly not pay in that case ;)

And there was a picture of the passenger seat from P4 to prove the permit wasn't visible but it was at a weird angle clearly ignoring the fact it was on the car seat, ha.

Either way, there's a fair few things here that don't make sense (including my number plate being registered on there system and my car on CCTV being parked there every day for 3 years with the permit, and no signs anywhere in the underground car park area).

So it sounds like ignoring is the way to go post POPLA.
    [/FONT]
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You want to get rid of this PPC, and make sure they are not replaced. Getting a PCN in your own space is a very good reason not to allow a PPC on the property, or have a contract with them.
    Once they have got rid of any rogue parkers, the only way they can make money is by targeting genuine residents.
    They do, and will, and will continue to do so until residents rise up and smite the foe.

Make sure everyone knows having a PPC on site is bad news for everyone.

Don't forget to complain to your MP bout this unregulated scam, and make sure every other resident knows this as well.

These are some of the comments made by the MPs in Parliament concerning the unregulated parking industry (Feb 2018):

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    OP, please search for and read hairray's thread.
    Other than the issue with no signage in the underground parking, it's identical to yours.
    His thread will explain to you the legalities of your concern that you are only a leaseholder. That doesn't matter.
    Whoever brought in the PPC is interfering with your rights. Go on the offensive - draft Letters Before Claim threatening the management company/freeholder and the PPC with claims are on hairray's thread. You'll need to get your lease out and read it and adapt the parts of the letters which refer to specific clauses.

Daniel san's is another relevant thread, but he's a tenant I think, hairray was a leaseholder.

In essence, you will be saying that you already had rights to park when these numpties were brought in, and they can't interfere with those rights by imposing new obligations on you. They are trespassing on your space (trespass to land) and on your car (trespass to goods) when they step foot on/touch either. Tell them they do not have your consent. You will be saying that the management company cannot interfere with your right to Quiet/Peaceful Enjoyment of YOUR property, which includes your demised space.

Demand that the management company gets the ticket cancelled and tell them you will no longer display a permit because you aren't obliged to. And if the PPC sets foot on your space/touch your car again that is a further trespass and you will sue them. The PPC is acting as THEIR agent and they are responsible for its actions.

The point about no signage, keep that for the POPLA appeal and as a defence in proceedings in addition to the technical leaseholder arguments.

Re what do you do now:
    Ignore letters from debt collectors
    Respond if you get a Letter Before Claim.
    I would suggest that you also write to the PPC now saying that you want a copy of their contract with the landowner authorising them to operate on the site and asking for a plan of the site showing all signage and its location and a copy of the wording on that signage. Repeat this request when you get a LBC.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure