PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Made some melting moment sbiscuits for my DGS this morning and looks like I shall have to put flour on the shopping list as its getting a bit short now ,being indoors has started me baking again :)
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    :eek: It must be like Sweeney Todd in your house.

"No thanks Gem-gem, I couldn't possibly eat a pie. I ate before I got here. Thanks awfully though". :)

I hate it when you type out a word and it changes it without you realising it!!! Hubby and I are not into eating florists - Hannibal and BFG are not our middle names.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Hi fellow LFHWers,

Early dinner - Tried a new soup - sweet potato, chilli & red pepper with hm croutons. In addition I used up a stray potato & half a yellow pepper:A The chilli was from in-laws garden. Met with my seal of approval, but more importantly met with DH’s seal of approval:j I could hear him scraping the colour off the soup bowl:eek:

Next few days we will be eating out as we are away but when we get back I will use up all the hm ready meals from the 2nd freezer (in a corner of the living room:o) - probably 10 days worth at least! Then the defrost & clean can commence:o. As far as our kitchen freezer is concerned I need to use up all the herbs so will have to be a bit more liberal in my usage:laugh:

I also need to work out what herbs to grow apart from rosemary (which I absolutely love) & where to plant (small garden:() & don’t want to clutter up the kitchen windowsill (as I also have a small kitchen:( )

I also need to plan better so that I make a variety of things that can all go in the oven at the same time. I can feel New lists coming on - with the headings being oven temperatures :o

MrsSD
    LFHW
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I had to nip into town today but took a list and only bought what was on the list. Came home and ate a combo of small leftovers, a sort of meze!? LO HM chick n veg soup (just a small ramekin full), the very end of a piece of blue cheese scrapped across a ryvita, and a left over cooked sausage. Cost pennies but was very tasty. I think having 3 things, even though all were small, made me feel full, too!

Tea tonight will be roast lamb, bought as YS. I got 2 pieces and froze one a few weeks ago so mid-week roast it is!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • crazytree
    crazytree Posts: 72 Forumite
    I must be the only person in the world who never sees good yellow sticker bargains! Not fair (sulk)...
    I used a lurking tin of canallini (sp) beans in a minestrone soup for my lunches for the next couple of days. Used up all the unhappy looking peppers in a sausage casserole which is two nights dinners. And even managed to clear the soft oranges from the fruit bowl to make a sponge pudding with the last of the cooking apples that also needed using up. Quite proud of this coz the sponge was delish and lasted us for three nights puddings.
    A yogurt that I thought was going to be wasted went to the hens for their treat. It's amazing how much mess they made with it!
    Tx
  • [Deleted User]
    Made a chicken curry with half a cooked chicken and some mushrooms Dd had found reduced in MrT's, made 4 decent sized portions for a tad over £2.00 and used up left over half a red pepper and some diced onions from the freezer with a tin of tomatoes from the cupboard.Have enough left over mushrooms to use shortly for an omelette for breakfast.The only thing binned were the bones from the chicken as I had no room spare to save in the freezer to make stock with and I have a good bit of stock already in the freezer in cubes in the ice tray Who need oxo's cubes when I can make them my self (well the chicken ones at least ):):):)There were very few bones anyway :) four 'ready' type chicken curry meals in my freezer for future meals :):):)stacked in take away boxes scrounged from the family

JackieO xxx
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My 5 year old was looking at me as if I'd got a bit confused this morning as I proceeded to eat houmous on toast with coleslaw for breakfast. I pointed out to him that I like it and it needs using up. He wasn't convinced.

Last night I made a curry with everything that needed using up first from the fridge - mostly mushrooms and broccoli -and it was lovely. There's even a portion leftover for the freezer. Today's lunch will be some leftover spaghetti and I'm planning to make a potato and leek bake for tea as we have plenty of both. I'll probably knock a batch of soup up too as I've got half a butternut squash, half a swede and loads of carrots and parsnips. I'll see what looks most in need of using and start there.

If there's room in the freezer I'm going to try making Jack Monroe's peanut butter frozen yoghurt recipe as I got a huge tub of natural yoghurt in when I thought we were having family to stay at the weekend and they couldn't make it. Hubby won't eat yoghurt and the boy will only eat small amounts of it so I need to get creative. The other option is make some naan bread dough and freeze it for future curries.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi all

Made veggie curry the other day as stated. Made about 6 portions and two leeks were chopped and frozen as the curry didn't need 4

I was going to do a banana bread but haven't time so I froze the bananas (added to many already frozen bananas, I can never judge it right when buying them. I'd better cook some up soon)

Made aubergine and pasta bake for meat free Monday. It doesn't freeze that well so I'll have the leftovers for lunch or dinner tomorrow.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • today I made the best pizza EVER just using lo chicken from sunday - served 4 for dinner, a casserole for Monday for 3 & one in the freezer for a working day and 90gms of chicken for another pizza another day. Was enough for oh, me and nipper and los for oh's lunch tomorrow.

I used a portion of hm wild garlic pesto that has been knocking around in the freezer forever, a portion of pizza sauce (batched cooked ages ago) 1/2 a pepper, 90gms mushrooms, 1/2 a pack of ys mozzarella and 40grms chedder. It weas fantastic!

Trying to muster the enthusiasm to bake a banana cake to use the brown bananas I got out of the freezer. it's make it or bin it so I guess I'll have to find the energy so as not to waste them!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • [Deleted User]
    Good morning chums and a brighter morning ahead by the looks of things.

I have posted my recipe for 'melting moments biscuit's' on the 'Fiscal fast' forum for those of you who have asked for it.
    Hope it helps as they are really nice and so quick ,easy and cheap to make.

Today I shall be probably make some jam tarts with left over pastry odds and ends from the freezer.
    I always seem to make too much pastry, and any left over bits I wrap in cling film and freeze.Once there are enough odds and ends I get them out ,defrost and make either some jam tarts, or a pastry case which I turn into a latticed mince meat tart, or if enough a small apple pie. Today as I shall see my DGS this afternoon I will make them some jam tarts as I have some odds and ends of jam in various jars to use up.

If there is still pastry left, the last few may end up with some golden syrup and crushed up cereal as filling. I collect the ends of the cereal boxes in a lock'n'lock box so they can be crushed up with a rolling pin for this purpose,add a small handful of granola and its surprising how tasty and crunchy the filling can be in a few small tarts :):) absolutely nothing goes to waste :)

I have three ravenous teenage boys who come in from school with hollow legs and often a few of their pals. They are all bean poles, and can make my cakes,biscuits and tarts vanish like snow on a warm day :):):) Friday afternoon is 'Grannies' treat day and they descend like locusts :):):)

I am out tonight to a big charity quiz night in Chatham with my team so I have no dinner to cook tonight as we get fed and watered there :)

Hope you all have a good and frugal weekend .

determined new ms your pizza sounds delicious and well done for being so inventive and I bet it tasted even better as it was HM with left over odds and ends. Great touse up things that would perhaps have been binned :):)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback