PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Home Structural engineer problem

LyndseyB
LyndseyB Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 12 September 2018 at 1:49PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi I was wondering if yourselves may be able to assist me with some help & advice please
In a new property which requires further building works

The questions we have is who is legally responsible to correct and carry out further works to rectify any problem?

Thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    LyndseyB wrote: »
    ......... as a result a structural engineer was instructed by the previous owners, who recommended building works to rectify the issue to make it structurally safe - a concrete lintel has been bolted in.

Builders were instructed by the previous owners and the work carried out.
    If there is clear evidence of poor workmanship, the previous owners would have a case against the builders.

I'm afraid you've learned a lesson the hard way.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is why you have structural engineer's report before you buy or you take the risk and you do not accept any work done by sellers without checking that it has been done properly.

There is nothing you can do about this because it wasn't your builders who did the work and you didn't check that it was done to your satisfaction before you paid for the house.

This is an example of why if a house you are buying needs work you do not have it done by the seller you either leave it and get it done when you own the house or you withdraw your offer and look for a different property. When you paid for the house you accepted it in the condition that it was in.
  • avacapri
    avacapri Posts: 55 Forumite
    how big are the doors?

we had a lintel put in and the engineer explained that over a large span the can bow but I would be surprised if a concrete one does as they are normally just short spans - perhaps the lintel is defective and as such you may have a claim, perhaps the builders packed out the frame and forced it down, I would get some builders in to look at it as the solution may be very easy and cost very little.
    I am just guessing - especially if the frames are upvc they can bend easily and if the builders have packed out the centre section forcing it down it will create a bow.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forget the window for a minute, the purpose of the lintel is to support the rest of the house, not to aid the function of the doors.

So is the new structural engineer satisfied with the lintel and the structure? If so then just get a double glazing Company in to adjust the fit of the frames and doors.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    This is why people should never get an owner to rectify shortcomings before purchase. Being human, they will tend to get Bill the Bodger and his mates to carry out the fix at the cheapest price.

Far better to negotiate a reduction and deal with any matters of concern after taking possession.

Never mind, you're not the first people to be upset at a problem you've discovered on purchase, but it's hardly a situation to warrant 'distress,' because it can be remedied.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure