Replacing large old fashioned 6'' x 6'' cooker switches (MK K5011 not suitable)

bxboards
bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
Hi

I'm doing some work in my kitchen and am re-tiling shortly.

The cooker switch is really big, about 6 inches square with a large plate that surrounds the switch and covers the void. The pattress box is about 3 inches deep too, all much large than more modern switches which tend to be the same size as a double 13a power socket.

Has anyone seen anywhere to buy these, if possible I'd be happy to just replace the old switch and rusty plate to save digging out the old backbox and replacing with a smaller one. The brand is MK.

Couple of photos of the current switch:

sqjmzq.jpg
28u22d3.jpg

Anyone seen anywhere to buy these new?

Comments

• casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Something like an MK K5011 would cover the hole. The back of is only 55mm deep but it's a lot easier to pack out the depth than to make the hole smaller.

Details here - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK5011.html
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    <Having happy flashbacks to childhood - that switch meant hot food!>

All the best with your beautiful modern new tiled kitchen & thank you for reminding me of happier past times.
  • bxboards
    casper_g wrote: »
    Something like an MK K5011 would cover the hole. The back of is only 55mm deep but it's a lot easier to pack out the depth than to make the hole smaller.

Details here - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK5011.html

Thanks, that looks perfect - I really appreciate the link I spent ages looking at various places and drew a blank!
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You will be tiling anyway so why not just rip it out and put in a more up to date switch and make Good? it would be easy enough to fit a metal box and make good. You can even get really long screws to secure the cooker switch.

It's best to do this now whilst it's all exposed.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    bris wrote: »
    You will be tiling anyway so why not just rip it out and put in a more up to date switch and make Good? it would be easy enough to fit a metal box and make good. You can even get really long screws to secure the cooker switch.

Fitting a new back box isn't difficult - The space top/bottom/back can be filled out with mortar quite easily. The only problem would be extending the conduit, assuming there is some already in place. Worst case, chasing out the wall to fit an appropriate conduit would be an option. If the OP were to do that, I'd suggest using 25mm conduit so that a larger cable could be fitted if it ever needs upgrading. And use a 47mm deep back box to give plenty of room for the cables.

Doing that sort of work now means you can have the switch where you want, and also matches up with the other sockets & switches in the kitchen.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I wouldn't replace it, It will clean up perfectly, and could even be resprayed to match the kitchen better.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    MK K5011 https://www.mkelectric.com/en-my/Products/WD/white/logicplus/cookercontrols/45AMPmetalflush/Pages/K5011WHI.aspx is what you need. Still sold today.

About £36 from Amazon and other retailers.
  • bxboards
    bris wrote: »

Thanks, I hummed and harred about changing it - and still am!

Reason for keeping 'as is' - my house is a 250-ish year old cottage so being up to date can sometimes be inappropriate. Also the current switch used to serve one of those tall stand alone cookers, that have a back with switches that extend past the worktops. The switch is really actually too high now for the worktop embedded hob, and ideally I'd lower it, but there the exposed 10mm cable isn't long enough to drop it or relocate at all, so in this case the excessive surround of the old switch helps to 'centre' it a bit.

But in an ideal world, I'd probably change it, and did consider that a lot, as certainly the newer smaller stuff is cheaper, but due to the cables being embedded in the wall, I'm a bit stuck for options.

I appreciate the post, always good to have another opinion, as it's all too easy to go full steam ahead without considering other options
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bxboards wrote: »
    Thanks, I hummed and harred about changing it - and still am!

Reason for keeping 'as is' - my house is a 250-ish year old cottage so being up to date can sometimes be inappropriate.

If you want to replace it and keep it looking almost the same, how about this one from MK?
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK5011.html?source=adwords&ad_position=1o2&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=MKK5011&product_partition_id=174043015267&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw8fEjLiP3AIVlZ3VCh100gMrEAQYAiABEgK8a_D_BwE
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    I wouldn't replace it, It will clean up perfectly, and could even be resprayed to match the kitchen better.

That is exactly what we are going to do with ours. It certainly isn't going to be replaced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure