Loyalty

i'm due an upgrade with Vodafone so called them, i'm 2 months from the end of a 24 month contract and was told that as a loyal customer taking out a new contract it would be more expensive than a new customer.

if I waited until my contract expires I would be classed as a new customer.

I won't be taking out a new contract.

Do all networks treat customers like this

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,595 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    i'm due an upgrade with Vodafone so called them, i'm 2 months from the end of a 24 month contract and was told that as a loyal customer taking out a new contract it would be more expensive than a new customer.

Not just mobile networks, insurance companies, breakdown companies, internet providers etc.
    Rewards for being a loyal customer are very much things of the past now. One of the penalties of it being so easy to shop around on the internet without much effort I suppose.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Loyalty is what your dog gives you, why would you expect that sort of relationship from any company that’s only wanting your cash to make a profit?
    ====
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Basically MSE is a Disloyalty site .
    Common thread and reason for joining is go elsewhere for a better deal .
    One suspects that if loyal customers got new customers discounts then new customer discounts would no longer exist .
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Basically MSE is a Disloyalty site .
    Common thread and reason for joining is go elsewhere for a better deal .
    One suspects that if loyal customers got new customers discounts then new customer discounts would no longer exist .

Actually I had a discussion about this with BT.

Why, as an existing customer should I accept a worse deal that is being offered to a new customer.....or in other words why should I accept being treated as a second class citizen (ok a little melodramatic!)

I politely made my point and ended up renewing with the same deal as a new customer.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 September 2017 at 9:44PM

Are you sure? Most companies won't treat you as a new customer when your contract has expired, you must terminate your contract. Some companies even make you wait (up to a year) before you are a new customer.
    I politely made my point and ended up renewing with the same deal as a new customer.

Are you sure? New customers signing up via quidco or topcashback get extra cash back, which I would assume BT won't give you if you sign up direct.

I was a new BT customer, taking the cash back into account, my phone line, broadband, adsl and mobile with unlimited calls costs around £5 a month. For around a year earlier I actually made a profit from having a phone line (this is unfortunately unsustainable....).
    JJ_Egan wrote: »

If loyal customers got better discounts than new customers, then new customers wouldn't exist.
  • i'm due an upgrade
    I do wish folk would stop this "I'm due an upgrade" nonsense. You are nearing the end of a 2 year finance deal to buy a mobile phone, with a call package included. Voda (and for that matter the other networks) love customers to think they are due an upgrade and tempt them into another 2 years on their network.

The money saving option is to go SIM only and shop around. There are some cracking SIM only deals. If you need a replacement phone (do you?), simply purchase one.
  • Not quite right - that's where a lot of people who end up on here go wrong for another reason. It's NOT a 24 month contract; it's an indefinite contract with a minimum 24 month term.
  • its quite easy to contact them and negotiate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport