DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Comments

• Humblebee. Its not to bad going self managed. First thing though get all your amounts and reference numbers and who you owe money to from stepchange. Next decide what you want your budget to be/what you want to
    offer everyone. Debtline has an online budget/formula to work it out for you if you want to use that. (Stepchange work it out in a completely different way.) Experiment with your budget a bit and make sure you include anything and everything. If you want to offer x for so many months just put that in the letter. I rang/emailed mine and wrote to hubbys. I just wrote that i am going self managed gave a copy of the new budget and said im offering x amount from now on and it will begin on such a date.
    When i rang stepchange to cancel with them they were absolutely fine, checked i was okay and I had a plan and basically said good luck but the doors still open. Once you cancel you dont have access to the online info so a notepad with a page for each debt to record what youve done will help keep you organised.
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 15.5 k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Just a quick question today guys. The other day I was inspired by someone on another thread who was overpaying her mortgage just a little every day, even just a couple of ££, like rounding down bank account I suppose. Thought this was a great idea and decided to start it as we are desperate to pay mortgage off.
    Mortgage has never been involved in our DMP and we have never missed a payment in 22 years. Anyway I sent £5 the other day as an extra payment.
    This got me thinking, our mortgage was with C&G and now it is owned by Lloyds. We have debts with Lloyds, so do you think I shouldn't over pay mortgage, as they may query why we don't pay more on the debts??

I wouldn't worry too much about your mortgage with C&G and links to lloyds. Our mortgage is with RBS and we have debts with them. Mortgage has never been in arrears. We overpay each month on our mortgage and no-one from RBS has ever queried why we can't afford to pay more towards the non-secure dmp debt. I guess it's different departments in a large organisation that don't really communicate with each other.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I wouldn't worry too much about your mortgage with C&G and links to lloyds. Our mortgage is with RBS and we have debts with them. Mortgage has never been in arrears. We overpay each month on our mortgage and no-one from RBS has ever queried why we can't afford to pay more towards the non-secure dmp debt. I guess it's different departments in a large organisation that don't really communicate with each other.

Thanks that is what I hoped, but wanted to make sure. It is only going to be little bits, but even if I could make it £1k a year it all helps. We have 7.5 years left and I am determined to get it down.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    ash28 wrote: »

Anyhoo....as advised I sent off CCA requests before Christmas and have recieved replies from Capital One and Barclaycard. Capital One have provided a copy of the original application form, a set of terms and conditions and a statement, so I'm assuming that one is enforceable.

Barclaycard sent a letter and although they do not say it is unenforceable, they say they are satisfied that I owe the money and I should continue to pay or they may register a default.
    They say that they should provide a copy of the executed agreement and any document referred to in it and a statement of the account - which they haven't. They say they have sent a reconstituted copy of the credit agreement.

Thanks in advance.

Never, ever assume anything.

Barclaycard can provide a reconstituted copy, so its likely that agreement is enforceable.

Capital one however may not be, many years ago an application form did once double as a credit agreement, but in the majority of cases an application form, does not constitute a credit agreement.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates
    Ambassador
    paperstars wrote: »
    Hi all, nice to meet you.

I am a 27 year old who after many years of being in debt mainly due to depression, has decided to go down the DMP path.

PayPlan seemed the best choice for me. Although their communication is sparse when you want a quick response from them. August 2021 is when I will be debt free with them but ideally want this earlier (doesn't everyone?) and after I pay my car off and another debt with my parents in August this year, more pennies will go towards my DMP.

Has anyone else been on PayPlan and what are your thoughts? I am wanting to speak to others who are in the same boat as me so I don't feel so alone with all these debts.

Thank you in advance

Gemma

:j

Hi,

and welcome to the forum.

Not much to choose between the two debt charities to be honest, the service levels should be approx the same.

Many people are on a DMP with one or the other of them, feel free to post whenever you feel like it, not everyone posts everyday though, most check in now and again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • ash28
    ash28 Posts: 1,789
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Never, ever assume anything.

Barclaycard can provide a reconstituted copy, so its likely that agreement is enforceable.

Capital one however may not be, many years ago an application form did once double as a credit agreement, but in the majority of cases an application form, does not constitute a credit agreement.

Thanks for your reply sourcrates, I thought the Barclaycard one might be unenforceable because it was taken out in the late 90s as an Egg card and most of them seem to be unenforceable....but perhaps it is enforceable. I shall try and find out.

I did think the stuff from Capital One was ok....they said it was enforceable but shall try and find out whether it really is or not.

Thanks again.
  • ash28 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply sourcrates, I thought the Barclaycard one might be unenforceable because it was taken out in the late 90s as an Egg card and most of them seem to be unenforceable....but perhaps it is enforceable. I shall try and find out.

I did think the stuff from Capital One was ok....they said it was enforceable but shall try and find out whether it really is or not.

Thanks again.

Don't necessarily take the creditor's word that a debt is enforceable;). One of my creditors told me that my debt with them was but when I had it checked out (because of the age of it) it turned out it was actually UE:eek:

For some reason links to the site don't work but I strongly advise you to have a look at the All About Debt website. there's a section devoted to unenforceability and they will scrutinise your paperwork free of charge if you send it via their secure system to a legal expert.
  • ash28
    ash28 Posts: 1,789
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Don't necessarily take the creditor's word that a debt is enforceable;). One of my creditors told me that my debt with them was but when I had it checked out (because of the age of it) it turned out it was actually UE:eek:

For some reason links to the site don't work but I strongly advise you to have a look at the All About Debt website. there's a section devoted to unenforceability and they will scrutinise your paperwork free of charge if you send it via their secure system to a legal expert.

Thanks carbootcrazy, I will get them both checked on All About Debt, probably tomorrow.

Capital One is from 2000 and Barclaycard (Egg) from around 1997/8 or thereabouts.

Thanks again.
  • sourcrates
    Ambassador
    ash28 wrote: »
    Capital One is from 2000 and Barclaycard (Egg) from around 1997/8 or thereabouts.
    Thanks again.

In which case reconstituted is still acceptable, but both would require the inclusion of the prescribed terms in force at the time of signing, which is where most creditors fall short.
  • Im sorry for all these questions but i want to help my hubby as best i can before he starts.
    He has a credit card with 0 balance at the minute, would it make sense to keep this open or just close it?
    Also he has a credit card with approx £5k remaining balance, would it be best to use this now to change our car (our car is on its last legs) and then for him to go into his dmp, or will the credit card refuse as hes going to rack up more debts prior to starting?
    i just want to do whats best for us. Im already in a dmp so getting a car loan is going to be out of the question for the foreseable future (i have approx 5/6 years left) My husbands dmp will be in and around the same length of time. Thanks in advance.
    learning to live again, slowly but determined £30k in debt, but dealing with it and proud
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback