EDF energy smart meter

Options
2»

Comments

• PeterHR
    PeterHR Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a gripe about EDF smart metering and account management.

We had SMETS2 meter installed in February.

Go into my myedfenery account online and it says I have a huge credit (£400 overpaid), and they last read the electric meter in April and the Gas two weeks ago ... but they are actually reading both every 30 minutes.

My grip is why cant they pull the current meter readings into the accounting system on the day they pull the DD (that would be a day or two before they get payment) - then we would really know where we stood on the account.
  • robbo990
    robbo990 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Similar issue to you, except my smart meters are in dumb mode, but I provide monthly readings and showing £589 credit. Spoke to EDF who said they only produce statements twice a year.

Ended up using spreadsheet to auto calculate costs/standing charge from readings so I know I'm covering what I'm using. (Actually only £200 in credit)
    Official SOS Club number 004 - Dry until (05.01.10)
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    PeterHR wrote: »
    I have a gripe about EDF smart metering and account management.

We had SMETS2 meter installed in February.

Go into my myedfenery account online and it says I have a huge credit (£400 overpaid), and they last read the electric meter in April and the Gas two weeks ago ... but they are actually reading both every 30 minutes.

My grip is why cant they pull the current meter readings into the accounting system on the day they pull the DD (that would be a day or two before they get payment) - then we would really know where we stood on the account.

When my smart meter was smart with SSE I could get half hourly readings but they only made up the bill once every three months so you didn't know whether you were in credit or debit unless you kept your own spreadsheets.

Thats why people get into a mess with their bills, they think they are in credit when in reality their bills can be be three six or even 12 months out of date.

Even my present supplier produces a bill four days before my DD comes out so it always looks like I'm in debt which gets back into credit four days later.

They also seem to have a random number generator for their estimates if I don't actually give them a reading on the exact billing day. Just one day early can add an extra 50-100kwh to my bill (even more if I miss it by being on holiday when they then guess a whole month).

They've got nine months worth of previous data to make better estimates but it seems to be beyond them to use the data that they've already got.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is the saddest thing about smart metering. It's pointless whilst the industry dinosaurs continue to exhibit their long standing incompetence at handling even two readings a month.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    They also seem to have a random number generator for their estimates if I don't actually give them a reading on the exact billing day. Just one day early can add an extra 50-100kwh to my bill (even more if I miss it by being on holiday when they then guess a whole month).

They've got nine months worth of previous data to make better estimates but it seems to be beyond them to use the data that they've already got.
    My energy co are similar. I am pretty consistent at about 8.5 kWh per day average. If I give a read early they add an estimate of about 20 per day, if I give a reading late but within the billing window they will reduce that figure by around 5 per day.
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    native wrote: »
    I have managed my account perfectly well for many years I do not need a machine to tell how much I am using.

Erm, isn't that what the machine you've already got is doing?
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    native wrote: »
    EDF easy online exclusive July20v3 says that to agree to this tariff by agreeing to be contacted for smart meter installation. When the contact is sent the agreement also says about having a smart meter installed when they come available in my area. Two different statements. Martin on his page say edf informed him that we do not have to accept a smart meter and can stay on that tariff. When I contacted edf they said they are not responsible for what people write and smart meter installation applies. I have more confidence in Martin than this company but it seems sharp practice. By the way I did cancel the contract I will not be dictated to. .

I would be asking if by agreeing to have a smart meter installed is the tariff for both gas and electric cheaper, and will remain cheaper than any other tariff they have? Secondly will the daily standing charge be lower than all their other daily tariffs?
    If not then don't have it installed. I had a smart meter installed with British gas and their daily charge was about 2p a day, at least, dearer than their other tariffs and the Kw/r price was dearer as well so I hit their free electric for all I could even having lights on in the day washing and drying batch cooking, if it used electric I turned it on for that 8 hour period.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The T&C state having the meter installed when they are available in your area but not what happens if you don't. EDF outsource to a fitter and opt you in to get it fitted. The company will call to arrange an appointment, but if you don't agree an appointment, like by not speaking to them, then you won't get one installed. So you have agreed to have one installed just not agreed when. It's sort of like Brexit we are going to leave just haven't decided how/when.

They are pre-approving people because that's what the stats needed to comply with government targets -numbers who have agreed to have one installed
  • berylliumbill
    Options
    EDF started to install smart meters on November 28th 2019, I STILL do not have an in-home display. That's three months! I have today switched to Shell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure