NHS starting salary

Options
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice regarding a band 5 nhs position I have been offered, it's not a clinical role its a biomedical engineering role. I currently get paid 27k in my current role in the private sector but if I accepted the nhs role I would be starting on £24,244 initially I was a bit reluctant to accept the new job, but I don't overly enjoy my current job so I would of taken the pay loss and accepted the nhs offer and it would take 3 years to reach £26970 on the new nhs pay scale so it wouldn't be too bad.

But my boss came back to me today and offered me £32240 to stay with the company, which is a pretty big increase, I would prefer to work for the nhs as I believe I would enjoy it more then my current role, but the difference between starting at £24214 and going into work tomorrow at £32240 is pretty big, even the top of band 5 is only £30615 and that would take 6 years to reach.

I do realise nhs staff get a pretty generous pension, which is much more then my current 4% but can anyone suggest any benefits that would outweigh that big pay gap?

When I was first offered the role I did ask them to match my current £27k but the recruiting manager was apparently told no by HR.

I plan on calling the manager up tomorrow and saying what I've been offered and see if they can up the starting salary but I doubt they will, has anyone had luck with getting a increase on the starting salary.

I really would like to accept the NHS job but I would start on a 8k less salary and the only benefit I can see with the nhs is a decent pension.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• JayRitchie
    JayRitchie Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The NHS pension is very good - I'd guess you might value it at about 25% of salary. How do working hours and annual leave compare?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The NHS pension is more valuable than many people realise. eg:

https://www.nasgp.org.uk/does-the-nhs-pension-scheme-still-represent-good-value-for-money/
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hm121 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am looking for some advice regarding a band 5 nhs position I have been offered, it's not a clinical role its a biomedical engineering role. I currently get paid 27k in my current role in the private sector but if I accepted the nhs role I would be starting on £24,244 initially I was a bit reluctant to accept the new job, but I don't overly enjoy my current job so I would of taken the pay loss and accepted the nhs offer and it would take 3 years to reach £26970 on the new nhs pay scale so it wouldn't be too bad.

But my boss came back to me today and offered me £32240 to stay with the company, which is a pretty big increase, I would prefer to work for the nhs as I believe I would enjoy it more then my current role, but the difference between starting at £24214 and going into work tomorrow at £32240 is pretty big, even the top of band 5 is only £30615 and that would take 6 years to reach.

I do realise nhs staff get a pretty generous pension, which is much more then my current 4% but can anyone suggest any benefits that would outweigh that big pay gap?

When I was first offered the role I did ask them to match my current £27k but the recruiting manager was apparently told no by HR.

I plan on calling the manager up tomorrow and saying what I've been offered and see if they can up the starting salary but I doubt they will, has anyone had luck with getting a increase on the starting salary.

I really would like to accept the NHS job but I would start on a 8k less salary and the only benefit I can see with the nhs is a decent pension.

Thanks in advance

Aside from the pension, you get 35 days AL starting, 6 months full sick pay and guaranteed salary increase.

I’m real terms your current increase isn’t that high; 5k after tax, NI and pension, is £250 a month.
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Whilst it’s a good increase in salary you’ve already stated you don’t enjoy the job.... I don’t see how having the extra money will make you feel more positive towards the role in the future (aside from being a bit more financially comfortable) any problems related to the current role will still be there.

That’s really not meant to be negative as to be offered that much to stay in the first place must be flattering but o think you need to think closely to the original reasons you wanted to leave in the first place
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    NHS jobs are advertised with the band, the actual figures and state if new to the NHS that you would start at the bottom of the band, so when you applied and knew this, why didn’t you pull out if that wasn’t acceptable?

You need to decide if it’s the job you enjoy or the salary, after you decide this you will know what job to go for.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    If the NHS has another suitable candidate whom they can offer the job to if you refuse, you're very unlikely to negotiate anything. So long as another candidate meets all the other requirements they're not going to worry about you - even if you're the best in the world at your job.

If you don't enjoy (or even dislike your current job) it's up to you to decide how much more you want to be paid to put up with it. (Mind you, although I enjoyed working in the NHS, some of my colleagues didn't).

As a recipient of a NHS Pension, I'd go for the NHS. I know the current NHS pension isn't as good as mine, but you'd struggle to find anything better in the private sector - plus sick pay etc. etc.

Clinical staff are under a lot of pressure and stress, but in my experience it's non-clinical staff who tend not to enjoy the job much (largely because they come into more contact with NHS managers!). As a former NHS workforce planner, I would argue a bio-medical engineer is clinical, although many would disagree.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    NHS annual leave is also generous and increases with service as well.

You'll be paid a premium if you work a bank holiday or any "unsociable hours".
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You’re basically taking an £8k pay cut to join the NHS. I suppose it depends on your financial circumstances whether you need that money or not.

I would have a think about what your plans are for the next few years and see what is more important to you.

In three years at the NHS you will be on almost £27k but I would imagine you’re current salary would also increase during this three year period.
  • Hm121
    Hm121 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies, sorry but I'm unable to quote on my phone.

But yes I would get a few more holidays then I currently get, I guess sick pay is a positive but I get good sick pay where I work at the moment.

@markn88 - yes the nhs list the bands and pay, they list the range for that band and anyone in their right mind would naturally assume it means starting salary ranges anywhere between those 2 points based on experience. And no where did it say on the job description that new comers start at the bottom of the pay scale, most people wouldn't know this unless they have worked for the nhs beforhand.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    if new to the NHS that you would start at the bottom of the band,

That's the official position, unofficially these rules are sometimes bent if the successful applicant is the only one regarded as appointable or was streets ahead of everyone else.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback