Excessive mobile data usage

sajjed
sajjed Posts: 97 Forumite
Hi all.
I am on 02 sim only, have been for years, last month I upgraded to another sim only contract with 02, 3gb instead of 2gb. ( never used to use the 2gb within a month) since the upgrade data use is being eaten!
I have a Iphone Xs before and after the sim upgrade.
Auto play video is off
Background app refresh is off.
Wifi assist is off.
In 6 days I have used 1.7 gb of data
Any advice please what might be the cause of the excessive usage?
02 say everything is ok at their end so they say its down to me using the data

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,868
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you're streaming things like Netflix down your mobile internet connection stuff like that eats through bandwidth like there is no tomorrow. That and maybe tethering.

Changing your contract with the provider doesn't magically make the phone do new things. This is something you've done to eat all that data that you say wasn't the case before you moved to the new contract.
  • sajjed
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    If you're streaming things like Netflix down your mobile internet connection stuff like that eats through bandwidth like there is no tomorrow. That and maybe tethering.

Changing your contract with the provider doesn't magically make the phone do new things. This is something you've done to eat all that data that you say wasn't the case before you moved to the new contract.

I don’t stream don’t use Netflix or Youtube etc I don’t tether either.
    Have wifi at home and use laptop
    The last week i have only been out the house 1hour a day, 50 mins of that I was driving
    Nothing has changed on the way I use my phone. I am not a heavy internet user
    I am genuinely baffled on the data disappearing
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    sajjed wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I am on 02 sim only, have been for years, last month I upgraded to another sim only contract with 02, 3gb instead of 2gb. ( never used to use the 2gb within a month) since the upgrade data use is being eaten!
    I have a Iphone Xs before and after the sim upgrade.
    Auto play video is off
    Background app refresh is off.
    Wifi assist is off.
    In 6 days I have used 1.7 gb of data
    Any advice please what might be the cause of the excessive usage?
    02 say everything is ok at their end so they say its down to me using the data

Go into the menu to “Settings” and to “Mobile Data”. It will show you which apps have used what amounts of data.
    ====
  • Grumpygit
    Grumpygit Posts: 362 Forumite
    Hi

Not in UK but Channel Islands and a lot of people over here have been complaining about excessive data usage and roaming charges whilst away either in UK or other places......me included.

Mobile data turned off, roaming turned off (as is wifi assist) and only using wifi but, the line from our provider is that if away, we should also ensure that location services are turned off as well as this is (according to them) what is causing the charges.

Now I appreciate that this is not the same issue as you face if you have a contract and don't have to roam, but I don't know if this is linked.

Most people (including me) have Iphones and our provider is blaming the phone not their service.

We don't believe them and I have yet to go in and complain myself but I thought that I would share this in case (for whatever reason) it's an issue with the Iphone not the service.

I haven't had this issue before and have gone away and done the same thing, it's only a recent thing that's being reported.
  • sajjed
    Grumpygit wrote: »
    Hi

Not in UK but Channel Islands and a lot of people over here have been complaining about excessive data usage and roaming charges whilst away either in UK or other places......me included.

Mobile data turned off, roaming turned off (as is wifi assist) and only using wifi but, the line from our provider is that if away, we should also ensure that location services are turned off as well as this is (according to them) what is causing the charges.

Now I appreciate that this is not the same issue as you face if you have a contract and don't have to roam, but I don't know if this is linked.

Most people (including me) have Iphones and our provider is blaming the phone not their service.

We don't believe them and I have yet to go in and complain myself but I thought that I would share this in case (for whatever reason) it's an issue with the Iphone not the service.

I haven't had this issue before and have gone away and done the same thing, it's only a recent thing that's being reported.

Thanks. Maybe its the phone but I have had it since the Xs was released in September last year and it replaced iphone 6 and a iphone 5 before that, i thought i understood iphones and their settings .
    The phone is genuinely on my desk while i use laptop during the day apart from 1 hour a day when i am out driving for 50 mins .
    The phone when i am home connects with wifi not mobile data
    It is strange it only occurred since my sim contract update. Maybe coincidence but strange
  • sajjed
    d123 wrote: »
    Go into the menu to “Settings” and to “Mobile Data”. It will show you which apps have used what amounts of data.

I have earlier today ‘reset statistics’ it was showing what I had used since when i first got the phone back in September.
  • I’ve had the same issue this month with iPhone too. It could be storage assist within iCloud. So apps and photos etc are downloading from iCloud as I use them as they are not stored on the device to save space. I am having to manually switch off Mobile data in settings so that all the back ground work with iCloud is being done over WiFi only.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    sajjed wrote: »
    I have earlier today ‘reset statistics’ it was showing what I had used since when i first got the phone back in September.

It’s a pity you didn’t check which apps had downloaded the most before resetting.
    ====
  • sajjed
    edited 14 June 2019 at 8:42PM
    I’ve had the same issue this month with iPhone too. It could be storage assist within iCloud. So apps and photos etc are downloading from iCloud as I use them as they are not stored on the device to save space. I am having to manually switch off Mobile data in settings so that all the back ground work with iCloud is being done over WiFi only.

I have icloud drive turned off photos etc back up to my laptop when connected.
    phones 256gb storage so I have plenty of device space
    Background app refresh is set to wifi only.
    Wifi assist i have turned off
    Autoplay of videos is off
    I am really baffled why i have suddenly started using so much data.
    Nothing has changed with my phone and I am not out and about using more mobile data,

I have had to turn off mobile data but its defeating the object when I am out and about to have it turned off !
  • bob99999
    bob99999 Posts: 46
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi
    Had a similar problem recently after I had sent and received some photos by email.
    Thought they had gone but apparently as i had gone over size limit, my iphone continued to try to send & receive over and over.
    Only found out after i had cleared and monitored data usage as to why i used gb's over a few days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure