Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stungbigtime
    • By stungbigtime 13th Jun 19, 5:59 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stungbigtime
    Cifas horror
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:59 PM
    Cifas horror 13th Jun 19 at 5:59 PM
    Hello... A newbie here so sorry if in the wrong forum. I really need some help or guidance if anyone knows about this stuff. I have just learnt that a fraud marker from a firm called CIFAS has been put against my name since 2014 and I never knew this until now!!

To summarise.. The report states Black Horse Finance made the entry late 2014.. (Application Fraud): False time at address, Undisclosed address with adverse credit, undisclosed address(es).

1. False time at address being mycurrent: My then GF now my wife. I moved in with her 2009 so on application in 2014 at application stated 5 years. However I was not on the electoral register. However I was later added and back dated to 2013 by the local authority but could not back date further. But at the time I agree I was probably not recorded there.

2. Undisclosed address with adverse history appears to be my fathers address which I used as a base for letters and documents until I was sure I was permanent with my now wife and was actually going to remain in London. The adverse credit history would have been with Black Horse themselves where I was made redundant in 2011 for 5 months and requested a temporary arrangement to pay them less which they agreed. Fortunately I got a job and paid off any arrears immediatey and continued the finance deal for the full 5 years until 2010 settled all payments on time. And as expected see these TA merked on my Credit files which i agree. (Note This was my 2nd black horse finance deal .My first deal also had perfect payment history... In other words I have had good history with Black Horse.).

3. Undisclosed Address(es): This appears to be my mothers address where I changed one of my banks and or finance adresses to as I was planing to move back from London to home in the Midlands. But never went through with it. And to be fair my driving licence is I think still recorded as that is my home. (Things to do list springs to mind).

Im middle aged and worked in Accounting/Analysis all my life and never heard of this. My wife 9 year older and we trying to remortgage our flat as interst only mortgage is ending. Its will be devastating if we get refused due to this. As we NEED a remortage

All credit files clean and broker says we have excellent standing based on all the stuff.. However this cifas may cause issue

Any advice appreciated

Im still trying to understand this CIFAS.. Scary stuff.. And I thought Credit Ref Agencies where bad. CIFAS is shocking. Doesn't even show on any credit file. I've checked them all
    Last edited by stungbigtime; 13-06-2019 at 6:02 PM.
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Jun 19, 6:22 PM
    • 11,361 Posts
    • 14,058 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:22 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:22 PM
    CIFAS will sometimes be referred to on credit files but is essentially independent, as being fraud-related rather than credit-related, but yes, it'll be referenced when seeking new credit.

In terms of all of the data that you refer to, you have the right for it to be corrected if any of it is factually inaccurate but would need to do so via Black Horse Finance if they supplied it to CIFAS. It does sound like you declared various addresses in an inconsistent manner (which is exactly what such anti-fraud databases are intended to identify), so if you were doing so in good faith then you'll need to persuade BHF of your motives and see if they're prepared to advise CIFAS to remove the marker - the process is explained at https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request and should be echoed on your report.

If you're unsuccessful in getting the marker removed, it should expire late next year....
    • stungbigtime
    • By stungbigtime 13th Jun 19, 7:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stungbigtime
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:02 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:02 PM
    Thanks - I am expecting a call next week to confirm the official mortgage application go ahead... I'm guessing it would be 99% rejection then and should not bother attempting (Santander). Or is there a possibility as its a joint application (despite me being the sole earner)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

2,629Users online

Martin's Twitter