Options
    Local Borough Council: Calderdale MBC
    Council Tax Band Before: D
    Council Tax Band After: C
    Amount refunded: Circa £2,700 :money:
    Annual saving going forward: Circa £200
  • Barton_Gate
    Options
    Following your advice I challenged my banding and have just received a £2100 rebate.
    Thank you Money Saving Expert.
  • Bitcoinguy
    Bitcoinguy Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you @MartinLewis for your superb advice on Council Tax valuation challenge.
    I went through the process, took over 8 months, however Valuation Tribunal allowed my appeal!
    Dwelling moved from Band C to Band B.
    Looking forward to a nice little refund back
    Winning :)
  • OldDog
    OldDog Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Local Borough Council:Castle Point
    Council Tax Band Before:Band G
    Council Tax Band After:Band F
    Amount refunded:£6,830

I first saw Martins email in early march this year and although I thought I may be in the wrong band, this gave me the confidence to pursue it. Mine and a neighbours house were both Band G whilst the next door two houses were both Band F, despite all four being built at the same time, on similar sized plots with similar specifications. I collated my evidence and made a phone call to the VOA who agreed that there was a case to look in to it. It is worth noting that whilst the Nationwide price calculator indicated I was low F in 1993, the VOA it seems do not use such indicators.

Within 7 weeks, I have received a notification of reduction to band F, followed by a refund from my Borough Council of £6,594.88. I have been in the property for 34 years and was interested to agree their figures back to 1993. I therefore requested a breakdown of the figures which it supplied but I was also advised that the Council records only went back to 1995 and that was all they could pay. I was (stupidly) told to supply evidence of payments to it for the missing two years if I wanted an additional refund. Luckily I had my original Council bills for those years so sent them copies of those. I also said that a DD had been set up and been in place since 1985 and their records would have shown that there had never been any outstanding amounts. Therefore, the balance of probalities was that the monies were paid and for them to prove otherwise. They agreed and I received a further refund of £235.79, making a total of £ 6,830.67.
  • Swanlady
    Swanlady Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 June 2019 at 12:54PM
    Options
    London Borough of Enfield just repaid me £4,609.30.

I will be saving £362.66 on current bill.

Claiming was easier than I imagined it would be. Only took a few weeks and the money was in my account before I even received the statements from the Council.
  • katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi does anyone have the link to martins email / info on how to do this? thanks
  • katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    would anybody be able to help me check our home please?

looking at the sold prices and bands, our street is a mix of band A and B.

We are band B (3 bed two storey) our neighbour is also band B but theirs is a 4 bed (2 storey) and their neighbour also band B is also a 4 bed 3 storey house

The houses on the opposite side are all band A 3 beds and they all have gardens twice the size to the houses on our side where we only have small back yards

we are number 11 - bandings http://cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/InitS.asp?lcn=0

sale prices https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E1445640&searchLocation=CF37+2NP&referrer=landingPage
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    katie4 wrote: »
    would anybody be able to help me check our home please?

looking at the sold prices and bands, our street is a mix of band A and B.

We are band B (3 bed two storey) our neighbour is also band B but theirs is a 4 bed (2 storey) and their neighbour also band B is also a 4 bed 3 storey house

The houses on the opposite side are all band A 3 beds and they all have gardens twice the size to the houses on our side where we only have small back yards

we are number 11 - bandings http://cti.voa.gov.uk/cti/InitS.asp?lcn=0

sale prices https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=POSTCODE%5E1445640&searchLocation=CF37+2NP&referrer=landingPage

Duplicate thread
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • pingusback
    Options
    Local Borough Council: Solihull
    Council Tax Band Before:Band E
    Council Tax Band After:Band D
    Amount refunded:£2.900
    (£1200 in cash, £1700 by rebate)

A very easy process:
    1 Checking the bands of the property around me on the government website.
    2, A phone call to the VOA
    3. An E-mail to the VOA, setting out my case
    4. 5 weeks later, a letter from the VOA confirming the re-band and stating the effective date was 1997
    5. No contact from Solihull MBC. so a phone call to them. They advised that my Bank account had been credited with £1200... the rest would be rebated.

I still have issues with Solihull MBC over their lack of communication & failure to provide a detailed breakdown of the refund. I'm currently corresponding with them.

Thank you Martin!! & MSE
  • Angie371
    Angie371 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I enquired about our council tax about 5 years ago and was told it was definitely correct. I did some research and asked for a rebanding in March this year. I had a letter back saying that we were in the correct band. I asked the valuation officer to call me. She had our house listed as a 3 bedroom instead of a 2 bedroom. There were houses opposite us that were exactly the same on a Band A whereas we were a Band B. I had to get our original plans from the council back to 1937. I have been checking the VOA site daily. Yesterday it changed us from a B to an A. We should be due about £3000 back. We have lived here since 1998.

If you feel it is wrong keep persevering!

Thank you to Martin and the team.

:j:money::j:T:T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport