Solar ... In the news

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/09/energy-firms-buy-electricity-from-household-rooftop-solar-panels

So not until January 2020, long enough to cause the collapse of all the small installers following the 94% drop in installations (or whatever much lower percentage it settles down at).
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,988 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 June 2019 at 8:17PM
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/09/energy-firms-buy-electricity-from-household-rooftop-solar-panels

So not until January 2020, long enough to cause the collapse of all the small installers following the 94% drop in installations (or whatever much lower percentage it settles down at).

Surely any installs now should still qualify for whatever scheme comes in in Jan even if there are no payments until next year. I would have thought those already on fit should also be allowed to switch to selling to the grid if the economics were better.
    I think....
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    michaels wrote: »
    Surely any installs now should still qualify from whatever scheme comes in in Jan even if there are no payments until next year. I would have thought those already on fit should also be allowed to switch to selling to the grid if the economics were better.
    Correct on both counts.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 June 2019 at 1:25PM
    I was watching some news on You-tube, and mention was made of this recently announced giant Spanish PV farm.

The point that was made was the price, €300m for 590MW, so a cost of approx 50c/kWp - edit 50c/Wp. Incredible, and getting better all the time.

Europe’s largest solar plant unveiled amid Spanish renewable rebirth
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I was watching some news on You-tube, and mention was made of this recently announced giant Spanish PV farm.

The point that was made was the price, €300m for 590MW, so a cost of approx 50c/kWp. Incredible, and getting better all the time.

Europe’s largest solar plant unveiled amid Spanish renewable rebirth
    Shouldn't that be €500/kWp....or 50c/Wp?
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • pile-o-stone
    pile-o-stone Posts: 396 Forumite
    michaels wrote: »
    There is mention that households with PV will pay more for their electricity in future.

Does anyone have any info re this?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/dec/18/energy-bills-ofgem-national-grid

The issue is that people with solar are not paying their fair share for the maintenance of the grid due to their low energy bills. I wonder if people lowering their bills by fitting low energy consumer goods and using washing lines will also be hit? I guess not as it's not as easy to find them. This reminds me of the government push for us to all have diesel cars, which are then targeted as public enemy number one. We are then all encouraged to fit solar and we'll then be punished for doing it.

In the end I think we'll end up with a BT/landline type of situation where there is a fixed fee on everyone's bill for maintaining the grid.

I do wonder though if people with electric cars will be expected to pay more for their electric line rental.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,988 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The issue is that people with solar are not paying their fair share for the maintenance of the grid due to their low energy bills. I wonder if people lowering their bills by fitting low energy consumer goods and using washing lines will also be hit? I guess not as it's not as easy to find them. This reminds me of the government push for us to all have diesel cars, which are then targeted as public enemy number one. We are then all encouraged to fit solar and we'll then be punished for doing it.

In the end I think we'll end up with a BT/landline type of situation where there is a fixed fee on everyone's bill for maintaining the grid.

I do wonder though if people with electric cars will be expected to pay more for their electric line rental.

Economically it makes sense to separate fixed and variable costs but that is very unpopular on fairness grounds as poor low users appear to pay much more and on environmental grounds as margins cost unit pricing may well encourage greater use.

They will need to tax electric cars somehow to make up for the loss of fuel duty.
    I think....
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

Hi

... "... situation where there is a fixed fee on everyone's bill for maintaining the grid." ?? .... but that's the reasoning behind the argument for maintaining the standing charge, yet the industry doesn't really seem to understand as evidenced by the wide variance in standing charges, not only between suppliers, but also between offerings from the same supplier ...

If the standing charge represented a 'honest' view of the fixed cost element within a bill then there'd be little variance, so as the issue is one caused & supported by Ofgem in the billing 'simplification' changes a few years ago (the ones where all customers were considered too stupid to understand basic tiered tariffs but not too stupid to necessitate the most straightforward & transparent solution - No Standing Charge!) it's really down to the regulator under their own mandate to ensure that the fixed cost billing elements don't include profit or any variable costs ... but, in line with their history of ongoing incompetence, they don't ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The issue is that people with solar are not paying their fair share for the maintenance of the grid due to their low energy bills.

If they are using the grid less, then why should they pay the same as a high user.

Less leccy - less payments, surely that is 'paying their fair share.'
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    They're replacing the substation near me which I can see from my office window as I type. This is following the outage last week and the use of a generator [less my export contribution :-) ]. If they need to upgrade, for whatever reason, why should I as a low user be obliged to pay an equal amount for upgrades when it is heavier users (or that new housing estate down the road) that are causing the need for investment?

As an Ebico customer at the moment with zero standing charge I'm quite aware of Zeupater's point, and pay a quite shocking rate per unit which underlines how low users are penalised. The per unit comparison figures the companies are obliged to publish are really quite useless based as they are on some notional average user.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback