Amazon Selling

Comments

• MrBrindle wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread.

There's a bloke who lives not too far away from me, that his friends say has made £200,000+ in the past year selling via FBA on Amazon. I wouldn't be surprised by the cars on their driveway.

I'm not going to mention the product, but he only has a small line of them, and is the only seller on amazon with that brand of product. The interesting bit is that he actually sells courses for nearly £1000 on how to become an amazon seller..........

Is making that much money really plausible, and is paying that much for a course reasonable or just taking advantage of people??

There are some people making serious money, maybe they are smart, maybe they got lucky with the right product/supplier.

There is more competition now than ever, whether it be smaller companies, sellers in China or massive companies, it's harder and harder to find a corner to sit in without be disturbed and have your margins slashed but some people manage it well.

Your friends friend maybe earning 200 a year, or maybe their cars are leased and they turnover 200K a year which can end up being a hell of a lot less after all the costs and tax.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'll throw out a suggestion, in case anyone is interested.

I recently bought some Renuwell furniture restorer. It came very highly recommended, and it works well. I gather it's quite well known by antiques dealers. The stuff is not that expensive, but it's a German brand, and the only sellers are based in Germany. The result was that it cost me £7 for the bottle of stuff and £12 for postage from Germany.

It might be worth buying a couple of bottles and seeing whether you can sell it on Amazon or ebay. If it sells you could contact the manufacturer to import a couple of dozen, and so on. I doubt you'll make a fortune, but you might make a few bob.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00462D6PO/
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    MrBrindle wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread.

There's a bloke who lives not too far away from me, that his friends say has made £200,000+ in the past year selling via FBA on Amazon. I wouldn't be surprised by the cars on their driveway.

I'm not going to mention the product, but he only has a small line of them, and is the only seller on amazon with that brand of product. The interesting bit is that he actually sells courses for nearly £1000 on how to become an amazon seller..........

Is making that much money really plausible, and is paying that much for a course reasonable or just taking advantage of people??
    I often wonder why anyone who does well selling on Amazon would want to have another business selling lessons in how to sell on Amazon. It often smells of bs to me.

The old ads in newspapers that were get rich quick schemes were invariably a pyramid scheme of other people placing ads for a get rich quick scheme. It just went round in circles with nothing ever being sold.
  • GDB2222 wrote: »
    I'll throw out a suggestion, in case anyone is interested.

I recently bought some Renuwell furniture restorer. It came very highly recommended, and it works well. I gather it's quite well known by antiques dealers. The stuff is not that expensive, but it's a German brand, and the only sellers are based in Germany. The result was that it cost me £7 for the bottle of stuff and £12 for postage from Germany.

It might be worth buying a couple of bottles and seeing whether you can sell it on Amazon or ebay. If it sells you could contact the manufacturer to import a couple of dozen, and so on. I doubt you'll make a fortune, but you might make a few bob.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00462D6PO/

766,315 sales ranking means an estimated zero sale a month according to a random ranking calculator.

I think you'd have to put money in advertising the product.
  • RFW wrote: »
    I often wonder why anyone who does well selling on Amazon would want to have another business selling lessons in how to sell on Amazon. It often smells of bs to me.

The old ads in newspapers that were get rich quick schemes were invariably a pyramid scheme of other people placing ads for a get rich quick scheme. It just went round in circles with nothing ever being sold.

I guess the knowledge that some of us have from selling online could be worth something to some people.

I don't think the get rich quick thing applies but looking around appears to be are plenty of businesses which don't seem to fulfil their true potential.

A local business (nothing to do with online) paid a tidy sum of money for a consultant to come, watch what they do and then write a report on where they could improve.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    766,315 sales ranking means an estimated zero sale a month according to a random ranking calculator.

I think you'd have to put money in advertising the product.

I was very put off buying it because of the high postage - roughly twice the cost of the product. I nearly didn't buy it, despite it being hi9ghly recommended. A UK seller could charge much less.

The product has around 500 reviews on the German Amazon website, so it obviously sells well there. And, it's popular with antiques dealers in the UK. I'm not sure where they buy it from.

Anyway, I just mentioned it as the sort of niche product that may sell.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thats the problem the UK antiques dealers probably buy it for less than £7 a bottle inc postage.

Posting the stuff maybe a pain depending on the packaging, if its a strong box it may just need a wrap, you may need spill proof packaging.

Purchased a battery a while back, double thick bagged and in the inner bag had absorbant matting and the bags then had foam corners and the battery boxed. All bumps up your costs.

Lots of people have large turnovers but how much profit? Asked a mate how much something cost to make and he didnt know. How can you sell something without knowing what each item costs you?

Was he making a profit or not? He would not know.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• RFW

Posting the stuff maybe a pain depending on the packaging, if its a strong box it may just need a wrap, you may need spill proof packaging.

Purchased a battery a while back, double thick bagged and in the inner bag had absorbant matting and the bags then had foam corners and the battery boxed. All bumps up your costs.

Lots of people have large turnovers but how much profit? Asked a mate how much something cost to make and he didnt know. How can you sell something without knowing what each item costs you?

Was he making a profit or not? He would not know.
    True on the cost of product not being everything. I have products made and then packed for sale. The packing costs about the same as the product. With some products Amazon earn more out of it than I do but I'm still making a good profit that sells well.
  • gf24
    gf24 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Have you ever heard of nine university 2.0? I watched a 2 stream from them today & trying to find out if anyone here has used them..

nineuniversity. com
  • RFW
    I liked the disclaimer on that site.

DISCLAIMER: The sales figures stated above are my personal sales figures and that of some of our favorite students. Please understand our results are not typical, I’m not implying you’ll duplicate them (or do anything for that matter). I have the benefit of doing Amazon FBA for 2+ years, and have an established following as a result. The average person who follows any “how to” information gets little to no results. I’m using these references for example purposes only. Your results will vary and depend on many factors including but not limited to your background, experience, and work ethic. All business entails risk as well as massive and consistent effort and action. If you're not willing to accept that, this is not for you. Honestly, if you are reading this disclaimer and wondering whether this is a “scam” of some sort, you probably aren’t ready to be an entrepreneur. We have NEVER said that Amazon FBA doesn’t require work. Sure, we can make it much easier for you, but you MUST put in the work or NOTHING will happen, that’s the ONLY guarantee we will make.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure