EDF to hike energy prices AGAIN - dual fuel bills to rise by further 7.2%

2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Be careful of what we wish for as, imho, any cap on SVTs will result in an increase in fixed tariffs to compensate for the potential loss of profit.

Estimates (Corbyn 2015) suggested that re-nationalisation of the energy sector would cost us £185Bn. Further studies suggested that the figure would be in the range £62Bn to £105Bn for the top 9 energy companies at April 2016 share prices. I suspect that the private sector is here to stay whether we like them or hate them.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 April 2017 at 5:58PM
    I agree with molerat & metrobus. Fixed price Blue+ Price Protection, thanks to all those who cba to look for a better deal than Standard Tariff.

I have always prized the customer service from EDF as well as the fixed price offers. Their website is a model for others and the online chat is better than any others. I send a reading, get a bill within no more than 48 hours. During the very few, very minor problems I have had in 5 years, I have had efficient and courteous responses, with solutions, very quickly.

As for nationalisation of energy companies, what a joke! That would be one big, expensive mess and we would all end up with a bureaucratic nightmare of a service. All those who lived through nationalised industries know that means 'jobs for the boys' and innefficiencies piled upon poor service. Corbyn will never learn that this is the 21st century. His ideas are from somewhere around the turn of the 19th!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hengus wrote: »
    Be careful of what we wish for as, imho, any cap on SVTs will result in an increase in fixed tariffs to compensate for the potential loss of profit. . .
    Most MSEers have been saying this for years.

We are not wishing for re-nationalisation but the behaviour of the energy suppliers towards their customers in recent years might prompt foolish politicians into an ill-conceived knee-jerk reaction which will do no-one any good. Nationalisation is probably just the worst possible option.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • gazza007
    gazza007 Posts: 248 Forumite
    I am too on the EDF Simply fix May 17 which was a MSE Cheap Energy Club group offer.
    Nothing on offer this year for the club; what has happened?
  • Consumerist
    edited 18 April 2017 at 2:36PM
    gazza007 wrote: »
    I am too on the EDF Simply fix May 17 which was a MSE Cheap Energy Club group offer.
    Nothing on offer this year for the club; what has happened?
    It would seem that wholesale energy prices had been creeping up before the EU Referendum vote which then put a severe dent in the exchange rate. (Energy is apparently priced in US dollars).

The upshot is that future energy prices are far less predictable these days and it's my guess that the suppliers don't want to stick their necks out by cutting any cheap deals for large numbers of customers.
  • Consumerist
    edited 19 April 2017 at 7:04PM
    Check this week's MSE Newsletter or <online>.

Register interest in the switch by 23 April.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure