Travel credit cards

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    EugeneB wrote: »
    I think information about cash withdrawals on Halifax Clarity credit card is wrong/misleading.

I tried that and it appears that you need not only to pay in the amount you withdrawn but all purchases before that. (I guess because APR on both spending and withdrawals are the same then don't have to accept your payment for withdrawals first.)
    No - only statemented purchases. Payments always go towards statemented purchases (ie those that were on your last monthly statement or previous ones) before unstatemented purchases (ie those since your last statement date). Credit cards have to work this way if you think about it.

But unstatemented cash advances are paid before unstatemented purchases. As long at it's hit the account, sometimes it takes a day or 2 to hit the account.

The easy way to use the Clarity is to go on holiday, and clear the whole balance when you get back.

The more complicated way is to just clear the previous statement balance plus any cash advances when you get back.

The extreme MSE way is to pay the cash advance while on holiday, having first checked that the withdrawal has hit the account, and at the same time paying off any balance on the previous statement.

For a short holiday, it really isn't worth messing about with the last method, I just clear the cash & previous statement balance when I get back, on my last holiday it cost me about 30p in interest.
  • I want to make a point of recommending Nationwide as well.

My wife and I pay £10 / month for the Nationwde Flexplus to receive ful world travel insurance (with ski cover), 2nd year warranty extension for appliances, breakdown cover, mobile phone cover (including accidental damage).

We also get ATM withdrawals, world-wide, with no fee and no loading.

We both applied for a (free) credit card to sit alongside this account, the Nationwide Select - this gives us both world wide purchases with no fee and no loading.

For £10 / month, this amount of cover and service is exceptional in my opinion.

We both operate personal bank accounts with Halifax, which then pays us both £5 / month.

A simple, free, rule abiding set-up.
  • zagfles
    robertoegg wrote: »
    I want to make a point of recommending Nationwide as well.

My wife and I pay £10 / month for the Nationwde Flexplus to receive ful world travel insurance (with ski cover), 2nd year warranty extension for appliances, breakdown cover, mobile phone cover (including accidental damage).

We also get ATM withdrawals, world-wide, with no fee and no loading.

We both applied for a (free) credit card to sit alongside this account, the Nationwide Select - this gives us both world wide purchases with no fee and no loading.

For £10 / month, this amount of cover and service is exceptional in my opinion.

We both operate personal bank accounts with Halifax, which then pays us both £5 / month.

A simple, free, rule abiding set-up.
    Yes the FlexPlus is a good account but as you have Halifax accounts it's well worth getting the Clarity as well, since it gives you a backup, sometimes cards get blocked even if you tell them you're going abroad. Also you get £5 a month on the Clarity as well as long as you meet the bank account paying in criteria.
  • lfc84
    lfc84 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some feedback about the Creation credit card.

I made a purchase online on Sunday evening 20 Dec 20:50 GMT

It has come through on the card as follows:

20/12/2015 FOREIGN FEE SAVINGS £ 25.01 CR
    20/12/2015 PAYPAL £ 861.36 DR

The purchase was for an item costiing EUR 1150.

So 1150 / 836.35 = 1.375022418843785

The rate here: https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/ with settlement date 21 Dec 2015 is 1.375023

I would have thought the Creation credit card would have used the rate as per the settlement date of Friday 18 Dec 2015 which was 1.383121.

You cannot select settelement days Saturday or Sunday
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Presumably that's the Creation Everyday card?

Who did the conversion, Creation or PayPal?
  • zagfles
    lfc84 wrote: »
    Some feedback about the Creation credit card.

I made a purchase online on Sunday evening 20 Dec 20:50 GMT

It has come through on the card as follows:

20/12/2015 FOREIGN FEE SAVINGS £ 25.01 CR
    20/12/2015 PAYPAL £ 861.36 DR
    What a stupid way of displaying it! They charge a fee in the rate then refund that charge! The Clarity and Nationwide just convert at the MasterCard/VISA rate without any messing around charging and refunding.

The purchase was for an item costiing EUR 1150.

So 1150 / 836.35 = 1.375022418843785

The rate here: https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/ with settlement date 21 Dec 2015 is 1.375023

I would have thought the Creation credit card would have used the rate as per the settlement date of Friday 18 Dec 2015 which was 1.383121.

You cannot select settelement days Saturday or Sunday
    IME it's usually the next working day but it can vary.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    lfc84 wrote: »

No, the settlement date will be a working day or two after the date of transaction, with conversion at the MasterCard rate on that settlement date.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • lfc84
    lfc84 Posts: 336 Forumite
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Presumably that's the Creation Everyday card?

Who did the conversion, Creation or PayPal?

Yes, it's the Creation Everyday card

I selected to be billed in EUR on the paypal site - which happened. Creation then did the exchange.
  • greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January 2016 at 3:20PM
    Poor credit but high salary, just got the Creation card at 21.9% with £1000 limit. Good enough for my upcoming trip as we won't spend even a quarter of that and will have savings beforehand to cover it.

I did consider the Revolut card but it's nice to have this available if we need something like car hire.
  • stevenpc
    stevenpc Posts: 139 Forumite
    just got the creation everyday card 12.9% limit £3000
    im well pleased will only use it abroad 2 trips planed has anyone preloaded this card before going away as would like to do that and use it to withdraw cash ??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback