MSE news story: Habitat, Moben and others collapse: your rights

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 June 2011 at 11:11PM
    Actually unemployment is down under this government http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=12 and it started just before they got in and a little rise and its falling again
    But if this trend of established businesses going bust continues then there is a distinct danger of unemployment rising again and growth disappearing. Don't forget the plan is for the private sector to mop up the unemployment forecast for the public sector.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • geordieracer
    geordieracer Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    But if this trend of established businesses going bust continues then there is a distinct danger of unemployment rising again and growth disappearing. Don't forget the plan is for the private sector to mop up the unemployment forecast for the public sector.

Of which there is an unturn of employment in other areas - manufacturing is just one of them. Im pretty sure that shops that have been struggling for the last year are not the ones who have been helping to get unemployment down.
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

But the initial shakeout of businesses would be those that no longer have a sustainable business, ie someone mentioned going to Ikea rather than Habitat (even though for a few years until 2009 Habitat was owned by the Kamprad family - the founders of Ikea who couldn't turn it around).

And one of the most high profile casualties in the recession Woolworths, where the original US parent company, F W Woolworths in the US effectively sold their Woolworths stores and backed into 'Footlocker' in the mid nineties and survives, whereas Woolworths UK & Woolworths Germany that continued with their own versions of the Woolworths model in their separate companies both went into liquidation in 2009.
  • smala01
    smala01 Posts: 154 Forumite
    I bought a kitchen today (not from Moben) that lists each unit, plynth and door as a separate line item ALL under £100 each.

Considering Section 75 - would this be viewed as a £3000 kitchen (good for section 75 protection) or a collection of separate "items" each under £100 (Bad for section 75 protection) ?

I hadnt considered this implication and am considering going back tomorrow to have him hand write a recipt "1 X kitchen @ £3K" :)

Smala01
  • smala01
    smala01 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Also noticed that the bill is writen out to the lady of the house, but paid on my credit card!!

Schoolboy error - i have no Section 75 protection at all.

Let this be a warning to others!!

Thanksfully i can go instore tomorrow to have this recitfied, others might not be so lucky

Smala01
  • donquine
    donquine Posts: 695 Forumite
    I'm fairly sure I have a giftcard for Habitat lying around somewhere - anyone know if Habitat are still honouring giftcards, or should I just throw mine in the bin?
  • dazza.mk
    dazza.mk Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    smala01 wrote: »
    Also noticed that the bill is writen out to the lady of the house, but paid on my credit card!!

Schoolboy error - i have no Section 75 protection at all.

Let this be a warning to others!!

Thanksfully i can go instore tomorrow to have this recitfied, others might not be so lucky

Smala01

It doesn't matter who the bill is written out to, the only thing that matters in that instance is was the payment made on your card , or on 'the lady of the house's additional card on your account? If the former no problem, the later falls into a 'grey area' where I think the FInancial Ombudsman says you wouldn't be covered.

As long as it is paid on your card the Section 75 legal relationship exists (that is ignoring the £100 an item issue)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    donquine wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure I have a giftcard for Habitat lying around somewhere - anyone know if Habitat are still honouring giftcards, or should I just throw mine in the bin?

why not ask in store or call them,
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2011 at 10:21AM
    dazza.mk wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who the bill is written out to, the only thing that matters in that instance is was the payment made on your card , or on 'the lady of the house's additional card on your account? If the former no problem, the later falls into a 'grey area' where I think the FInancial Ombudsman says you wouldn't be covered.

As long as it is paid on your card the Section 75 legal relationship exists (that is ignoring the £100 an item issue)

Probably. If the "lady" had the contractual relationship to buy the kitchen (ie made an offer to buy the kitchen which was accepted by the shop) and smala01 then appears on the scene to pay on his card then no s75 cover. But this is actually rare (even if the bill is written out that way). In most practical cases, the person who is presenting the card is making the purchase. Ie even if the "lady" placed the order, this wouldn't be accepted until smala01 gets his card out.

If the bill is written out afterwards, then it is after the fact and rather irrelevant. If, on the other hand, it was an order signed by the "lady" in advance and accepted as binding, then it's more tricky.

The key thing is that smala01 must have a contractual relationship with the merchant to buy the kitchen in order for s75 to join the CC.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi somethingelse,

When posting on behalf of a company you need the permission of MSE to do so. I'll quote the most relevant section of the Forum FAQs below for you...

Forum_Team wrote:

forum_faqs_small_bubble.gifHow do I get a right of reply on what's been said about my company?

If you're from a company, have seen a post you feel is defamatory or offensive and would like the right of reply please email the Forum Team at [EMAIL='forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com']forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL] to ask.

A member of the MSE Team will carry out checks to confirm that you are authorised to represent the company in question.

Provided you have authority to represent your company, you may either be asked to give a statement, which one of the MSE Team will post on your behalf in reply, or be given permission to post directly on the specific thread.

Where permission has been given for you to post directly on a thread, a note from the MSE Team will appear on the thread confirming this.

If someone has posted claiming to be from a company but this has not been followed by a MSE Team note confirming authorisation please use the warning triangle in the bottom right of the post to report it, or email the link to [EMAIL='forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com']forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

There is one, single exception to this rule. If you're from a company and have a discount code you'd like to offer MoneySavers this rule is waived in the Great Want to Offer MoneySavers a Discount? Hunt. You can post your discount once only, on that thread but nowhere else on the forum and shouldn't post about your company anywhere else on the forum.

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport