BT charging to cancel

13Kent
13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
My parents Sky tv bill had increased so they rang and got offered a good deal for tv phone and broadband including extras like films which was 1/3 less than they are paying BT for just phone and broadband.

They tried to cancel BT and were told they would have to pay about £450 to leave BT as they are under contract.

Is there anything they can do?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Either pay it, or wait until they are out of contract.
  • 13Kent
    I thought that might be the case, I'm a bit cross as they are pensioners and I don't think they were fully aware of what they were signing up to when they renewed their contract with BT - I've only just found out that they are paying £60 a month for their phone and broadband, and I don't think they realised they could get it a lot cheaper until Sky offered them £40 for phone broadband and TV. They don't use the internet for things like downloading films, they just check facebook and emails so they wouldn't have needed super fast unlimited broadband or anything like that :(
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They could probably have got it cheaper from BT .
    It would require negotiating under the threat of leaving BT .
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    They could probably have got it cheaper from BT .
    It would require negotiating under the threat of leaving BT .
    Which they couldn't really do due to the early cancellation charges. They really needed to tell Sky that they weren't able to move their phone and broadband and get back to the job at hand, ie trying to get their TV costs down.

But as regards people being given deals that they don't need, this is quite common. We recent,y dealt with my in-laws' renewal with TalkTalk. They asked us what their internet usage was, and we said it's just the odd email and light browsing (and I mean light - the computer probably only goes on once or twice a week for an hour or two). Their response was to offer an upgrade to super fast fibre broadband, !!!!!!. We ended up moving them to Now TV.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I meant in previous end of contract periods or price rises .
    Though could be they rolled out of contract to 30 day standard prices at that sort of price.#

BT advanced line rental + up to 52 meg BB + Max TV with BT Sport HD and i pay circa £36 PM after negotiation .
  • 13Kent
    They have still had a cheaper deal on their tv from sky than they were on before but they are losing out on the cheaper phone and broadband
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure