Iphone 7 is it normal to go down when off?

sillygoose
sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
Hi,

Work gave me an iphone 7 (new) but I rarely use. I put it in my bag a few days ago 100% charged and definitely shutdown.

Fired it up today and its at only 38%.. never had this with Android, when off they go weeks with little power loss.

Is this normal for an iphone 'off' isn't really ever off?

Thanks.
European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    battery shot?
  • sillygoose
    ballyblack wrote: »
    battery shot?

Already? only a few months from new. It doesn't last well when powered up either but I thought that was just life with an iphone.

Perhaps its duff.
  • techquest
    techquest Posts: 294 Forumite
    Try this:
    Home screen - Launch Settings
    Tap on Battery - battery usage should populate.
    Tap Show Detailed Usage button to get a breakdown of foreground and background power usage.
    Tap on Last 7 Days to look at power consumption over time.

You should be able to force any identified rouge app hogging the power to quit and get power consumption back to normal by the following:

Double click the Home button to bring up the fast app switcher.
    Swipe to the app you want to force quit.
    Touch the app card and flick up and off the screen
  • sillygoose
    techquest wrote: »
    Try this:
    Home screen - Launch Settings
    Tap on Battery - battery usage should populate.
    Tap Show Detailed Usage button to get a breakdown of foreground and background power usage.
    Tap on Last 7 Days to look at power consumption over time.

You should be able to force any identified rouge app hogging the power to quit and get power consumption back to normal by the following:

Double click the Home button to bring up the fast app switcher.
    Swipe to the app you want to force quit.
    Touch the app card and flick up and off the screen

Thanks ,that is useful to know. It doesn't show any real usage, its been off for about 10 days but was 100% at that point. As it was 'off' (properly not standby) I presume it couldn't log any usage.
    It just looks like a chronic self discharge fault I guess. Will look into sending it back. Cheers.
  • techquest
    Yes a good call, as it was off, not in standby, as you say then probably a battery problem which I know they had. If you can get them to replace that's the best course of action for sure.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Have you had a look under Battery Health, assuming you've not returned it already?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208387
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • There's gotta be a battery problem since it depleted even when the iPhone is shut down.
  • The iPhone still consumes some power when it is off, isn't it?
  • techquest
    ElenaGil wrote: »
    The iPhone still consumes some power when it is off, isn't it?

If the device is powered off, nothing is running that could account for a power drain. Some loss of power over time is normal but the drain mentioned by the op is extreme and can only be explained by a physical short in the phone causing it to consume the power.
  • If it’s on iOS 12 and it should be goto battery health in settings and that should tell you the condition of the battery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure