PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

tenant - are these issues for the landlord to solve?

Options
Hey

just moved into a wee flat, its lovely and we're still unpacking everything at the moment

The bathroom is nice but there's a couple of things that are quite noticeable and I'm wondering whether its worth chasing up the landlord with or just making a note of it and leaving it

It's an enclosed bathroom so there's no window - there's a vent/fan on the wall but it doesn't turn on at all, and we're not sure if its meant to(ie extractor fan) is this an issue? Pic of it below;
Z42zFX0.jpg

The sink has a leak and has a bottle underneath it to collect water as it drips, should the landlord get this repaired?
Zc7myRo.jpg

The flooring is a black tile but seems to be lacking grout, the edges are sharp and dirt falls down the sides v easily - I think this just needs a simple grout job but would this be my problem or the landlords?
8xXvn3j.jpg

The bath seems to have 'fallen' because its come completely away from the sealant around it and there's a considerable gap between it (pic explains it better) I can see this becoming a problem as we shower because the water will go down the sides of the walls and flood the floor. This is the main issue I have with the bathroom
bq8EzBX.jpg

ty in advance

:money:

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes - it is for the LL to solve
  • Cairez
    Cairez Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Yes - it is for the LL to solve

everything I've mentioned?
  • M_Python
    M_Python Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Are any of the problems noted on the inventory?

If not, they should probably be added.
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    Where is the property- if it is in Scotland you will have more rights
    baldly going on...
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would keep a copy of these pictures with the correct date and time - also take pictures of every room
    Send copies to the landlord asking for the problems to be fixed in a recommended time frame.
    Send the letter to the landlord by registered mail - signature required - keep for your records.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Write (yes a letter to the address'for serving noices') politely, listing the issues and requesting a timescale for fixing.

If you've been asked to sign an inventory, edit it first (and keep a copy!) to show the issues.

* fan - yes should work esp if no other bathroom ventilation. Usually they are linked to the light. Turn light on, fan comes on. But there may also be a master switch somewhere so look around. It may be outside the bathroom? in airing cupboard?
    * leaking sink needs fixing
    * grout is not essential. It's a poor finish but LL does not need to fix. Though you can ask. Make sure it's on the inventory though so you don't get blamed when you leave
    * bath sealant. as grout above though I'd highlight the risk of damp to the LL
  • Cairez
    Options
    M_Python wrote: »
    Are any of the problems noted on the inventory?

If not, they should probably be added.

They are, and I've emailed the landlord already about them so there's a paper trail - I'm just wary of receiving push back for asking for repairs, is there anything I can quote that would mean she's legally bound to repair stuff?

for example The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 says the landlord is responsible;

a) to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling, including drains, gutters and external pipes,

b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for the supply of water, gas, electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences) but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity, and

c) to keep in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for space heating and heating water .
  • Cairez
    Options
    Where is the property- if it is in Scotland you will have more rights

england sadly :(
  • danlewi2
    danlewi2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    just be polite and courteous - goes alot further than quoting the law at them.
  • Cairez
    edited 19 March 2019 at 3:33PM
    Options
    danlewi2 wrote: »
    just be polite and courteous - goes alot further than quoting the law at them.

oh of course, I sent an email introducing myself and brought up these issues as I was 'worried' - its her bathroom after all

i'll see how she responds and go from there - its not my first rental rodeo, I went round and checked the inventory and added things that had been missing from it and I've sent copies to the estate agents as well, gotta keep that paper trail :)

i'm asking for advice this time round because in our previous flat (which was in scotland) we would bring up the issues to the estate agents who would contact the landlord on our behalf and (eventually) it would get fixed

this time im contacting the landlord directly and im wary that she may be difficult to deal with - im a big worrier!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure