Historical accounts? PPI and packaged bank accounts

Hi there,

I've just joined this site and feeling totally overwhelmed with debt... and this website! Hoping there are some friendly people who can offer me some advice.
I had an account with Natwest about 15 years ago but don't remember for certain the dates and have no old statements or records to access the account information. I tried contacting Natwest and they told me they don't hold information about historical accounts, so no help there.

There may have been PPI on this account, which I'd like to check, but I am absolutely certain that it was a packaged bank account. Is there a way of making a claim independently of a claims company even if I don't have any info??

Also, I went through a claims company about a more recent packaged bank account with Natwest, and my claim was declined twice, even though I distinctly remember being pressured into having the account over the phone. Is there anything more I can do?

Your thoughts and advice are gratefully received.

Mel

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    There may have been PPI on this account

Not sure NW did PPi on their current account. Never seen any mention of it.
    but I am absolutely certain that it was a packaged bank account. Is there a way of making a claim independently of a claims company even if I don't have any info??

It depends on whether there are records. If none, then no.
    Also, I went through a claims company about a more recent packaged bank account with Natwest, and my claim was declined twice, even though I distinctly remember being pressured into having the account over the phone. Is there anything more I can do?

Most PBA complaints fail. So, that was the likely outcome. However, once you have complained, you have 6 months to refer to the FOS if you disagree with the outcome. Once that has been done or the time passed, then its game over.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Although technically NatWest did offer a PPI to cover overdrafts this was not actively sold and had to be done by request - as such they are exceptionally rare.

With regards to the rejection, most banks will raise time bar on the basis that you ought reasonably have complained sooner if you were unhappy with the package account - they merely have to evidence that you either proactively made use of the benefits or were sent a statement reminding you to review the benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure