Universal credit dilemma

Good evening, I hope someone can help, i currently claim legacy benefits but have done an online calculation for universal credit, its coming out alot higher than what I currently receive....... brief outline, i am single and work 30 hours a week, earning 1300pa, i have one dependent who is 15, my son and a non dependent my daughter earning approx 600 per month
My rent is 675 per month for a 3 bed and band c council tax, could someone please shed some light as it looks like i would be approx 200 per month better off, i desperately want to change over as i dont like having money paid in on different dates each month. Pleasr help as unsure if my figures are correct
Thank you

Comments

• If you wait for managed migration (anytime from 2020-2023?) you will more than likely get transitional protection, however if you think you might be better off moving to UC i would suggest you get a benefits check done by CAB.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 March 2019 at 8:30AM
    One thing that may be making the difference is the contributions that your daughter is expected to make towards the rent. Under UC there is a flat rate of £72.16/month. Have a look at the last letter you had about housing benefit and see how much she is expected to contribute. It is likely to be higher than this/week so 4 to 5 times higher over a month. Does this match the difference the calculator is indicating?

I assume your legacy benefits are Tax Credits and housing benefit.

Council Tax Reduction would continue separately even if you claim UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • seaveiw
    seaveiw Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for your replies, I just had a quick look at my housing benefit snd it said non dependent reduction is 15 pounds per week, the universal credit calculator showed approx 200 more per month...... think I definitely need to go to the cab to get a detailed calculation as definitely dont want to be in the position of being committed to universal credit and have no way of knowing for sure what my entitlement will be. Thankfully I only have 2 more years of navigating the benefit system as my circumstances will be changing significantly. Thank you once again
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 March 2019 at 12:49AM
    seaveiw wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies, I just had a quick look at my housing benefit snd it said non dependent reduction is 15 pounds per week, the universal credit calculator showed approx 200 more per month......

Somethings wrong with that if you mean the UC non dependant deduction is £200 more. UC non dependant deduction is £72.16/month per non-dependant and you only have one so it shouldn’t be more than that. Nonetheless that is slightly more than the existing housing benefit deduction because your daughter's income is at the lowest housing benefit deduction rate which I overlooked when I posted my earlier comment.

In your opening post you say you earn £1,300 pa, did you mean £1,300 per month or £13,000 per annum?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure