PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vacuum Cleaners - Cordless or Corded?

Options
Which do you prefer? I have an original GTECH but its not picking up very well now. I think corded vacuums are more powerful but I've got used to the convenience of cordless now, what are your views?

Comments

• TravellingAbuela
    Options
    I too have an aging GTech but fortunately it's still picking up ok. When I do need to replace it I will certainly go for another cordless, much easier and lighter. I suppose if I had pets casting lots of hairs everywhere it might be a different story!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just bought a gtech and it,s great but not as good as the cordless dyson it was replacing.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2019 at 9:53AM
    Options
    I bought a cordless last year, after a very serious scientist friend said to me without a trace of irony 'A cordless vacuum is life-changing'! I can see her point :rotfl:
    I bought a Vax, it's not as powerful as my corded Miele and is better on hard surfaces than carpet, but the ability to just pick it up and vacuum up odd bits is fabulous. It has a removable handheld section and that's transformed cleaning the stairs from a tedious chore to a five-minute job.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Cordless- I'll never go back to corded.

I've got two GTechs, one upstairs and one downstairs plus a wee handheld too. It's so easy to whisk one out to do quick jobs, light to move around and easy to empty.

I think it's each to their own.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have an aeg rapido and love it for a quick whizz round every day (more than once a day normally, Cats) but have a cheap drag around vacuum (£30) that I can use for getting the hose into those awkward places. We've got all hard/wooden floors and painted stairs so dust and hair shows up lots and this way it's easier to run round the entire house in a few minutes.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have a Dyson V6 Fluffy and it is rubbish. It is quick and convenient I will give you that but it has barely any suction, it can't pick up large crumbs or those bits of grit that get walked in, it either just nudges them around or picks them up spins them in the rollers and spits them back out. We have a dog and it can't get his hair off the carpets, I have to use my hands to ball it up, the nozzle for crevices is next to useless, it has no suction to get into the edges of carpets and around furniture where dust collects. My house just doesn't feel deep down clean anymore so I have to drag my old dyson in from the garage once a week and use that, it still does a better job even though it was replaced because it wasn't as good as it once was.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Throwing robot vac in the mix. I have had Roombas for about 10 years. I detest the fact I have stairs in my house so have a little corded handheld car vac type to do them with. I have dogs and the Roomba copes well with hair from dogs and females with long hair on both carpet and hard floors. After about 5 years my robot needs a new part and for now I'm back to using the old Henry from the loft but I can't wait for the part to arrive.
  • madlyn
    madlyn Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have 2 and both are Dyson's.
    I use the cordless every couple of days for a quick wizz round then once a month I do a deep thorough vacume with the corded.
    SPC 037
  • DollyDabbler
    Options
    I recently replaced my Dyson with a Shark. Really impressed with the lift away function, made cleaning the stairs easy. Also the lightweight pole makes it easy to get rid of lurking cobwebs.
  • happydays89
    happydays89 Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    I have a shark, it’s great.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business