IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Parking eye, POPLA appeal rejected, next??

Comments

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    IMO, if the took this to court they are likely to crash and burn.

The principals are quite clear, (post number 3), and they have wilfully chosen to disregard them. What is a judge to make of such behaviour.

You might even have a chance with "unreasonable behaviour" costs. See CPR27.14(2)(g). Get you MP on board.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If this was at Chorley or Royal Preston then complain robustly to Sir Lindsay Hoyle MP for Chorley.

He's absolutely furious with Lancashire Teaching hospitals trust for contracting PE. He's also an excellent MP.
  • Elena196
    Elena196 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Thanks for all the great feedback about contacting PALS that sounds good, about getting them to order the fine to be cancelled. Only one thing , that may not be in my favour was I was running about 15 mins I think it was late for the appointment. That is partly why I paid for just one hour as normally appointments are less than an hour, so thought I'd have enough time with paying for an hour not more. The other thing is actually on the POPLA info it says Parking Eye must allow 10 mins before the charge time begins anyway, so one can decide about paying for parking and finding a space before paying. So in fact I was only 10 mins outside of that leeway time. Also the Doctor's letter states exactly what time we finished my session, and my exit on the Vehicle Number Plate Recognition showed I exited within 5 mins of that time. So I wasn't really expecting I'd get my full hour so thought an hour would be more than enough parking time. The doctors letter however never mentioned we started late anyway , he just said we over-ran our session and till only a few mins before I left. With all that in mind I guess I probably do have a good case. Only POPLA say I officially had a contract to pay the correct amount...but how could I run out and pay extra time in the middle of a therapy session! So is it worth me waiting for court summons and ignoring the £100 debt due by approximately the 20th March. I think contacting PALS like you said , if they could order it to be cancelled then that would be the best scenario. Like you say on Hospital parking where we are there to be helped it's rediculous! I will get onto PALS for my next step to complain. And I'm sure the doctor will back me up , even if he was a 'junior psychiatrist ' he is still a qualified Doctor!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,251
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Try a bit of paragraphing, make it easier for regulars to read your posts.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,572
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If I loose I could get a CCJ plus have to pay the fine, plus court costs plus daily interest charges on the overdue fine !
    Not true. No CCJ risk. If you lost, you'd pay about £175 and it would be over, no CCJ.

You really should have done what the NEWBIES thread tells you and complained to PALS first, not tried POPLA first. Wrong way round and now very difficult.

Stop looking for reasons not to complain to PALS and stop blaming yourself.

The Government Policy is crystal clear, we even gave you the quote from the policy (please read the entire Principles). This charge goes against the rules.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Elena196
    Hi it is Barnet Hospital.
  • Elena196
    Thanks I did read the specific paragraph on the PALS info thankful. I will contact them now. Why would I have to pay £175 if I lost ...is that court fees plus the £100 original fine? Also do you think as I went via POPLA first its too late now to get help from PALS? I'll try emailing and calling them today anyway...
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,426
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Elena196 wrote: »
    Hi it is Barnet Hospital.
    I just put Barnet Hospital into the forums search facility and it returned a list of fifty-eight threads on the Parking Board mentioning it.

See how others fared.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,251
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Why would I have to pay £175 if I lost
    Standard ParkingEye Claim - £100 original parking charge, £50 solicitor costs for making the claim (spurious, but no one seems to have persuaded a Judge to dismiss that element) and £25 court filing fee.
    Also do you think as I went via POPLA first its too late now to get help from PALS?
    Once PE have issued a claim, they are notorious for digging in their heels and ignoring instructions to cancel by the contract holder (Barnet Hospital) or their associates/agents (PALS). But, nonetheless, try PALS to see what they can do. If they can't perform the miracle, at least try to see if they will provide you with some degree of support in a letter, which, with the one given you by the doctor, will hopefully get a Judge to sort out this nonsense.

Barnet Hospital, unfortunately, has developed quite a poor reputation on this forum, and PePiPoo, for being especially unhelpful to those ensnared in PE's spider web, patients appear to be of no particular concern to the hospital once PE have their claws in them.

Here's one, long-running, PE/Barnet thread from PePiPoo, which eventually concluded in a discontinuation by PE. It's a lengthy read, but shows what can be achieved through determination and resilience. You can draw understanding from it for what you might need to do to fight this charge - and come out with your £100 safe in your pocket.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=120906
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,572
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Also do you think as I went via POPLA first its too late now to get help from PALS?
    We wouldn't have advised it if we thought that. We do this ALL the time.
    Thanks I did read the specific paragraph on the PALS info
    It's not 'PALS info', it's Government Policy. You need to be MUCH more robust when complaining to PALS than you might think and put them on the spot to explain WHY they are breaching Govt Policy.

Copy in your MP.

No phone calls.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure