What happens if I can’t pay landline/broadband?

sportsarb
sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Title basically says it all but despite googling it, where it gives answers regarding mobile phones aplenty, there wasn’t too much of any use.

Obviously I know they would cease providing the service, and that’s fair, but it’s more the ‘after’ I am thinking of.

Once I’ve defaulted on the contract, what do they have the right to ask of me? Will they seek just the amount of the outstanding bill? All the ETC for the rest of the contract?

I’ve contacted BT to talk to them about things and I’m waiting on them coming back to me. I also looked at the contract but wasn’t able to make much sense of things.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ETC for the full contract .
    Plus may well trash your credit record and pass debt on.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The trouble with cancelling early is that they're quite within there rights to charge the ETC's until the end of the contract. This will be less than what you would pay in total if keeping it but of course you would need to pay it in one go.

I have seen mention of some company (can't remember which) offering to take a one of (relatively low) payment to cancel it in exceptional circumstances. Wait for them to come back to you though before doing anything else.
  • sportsarb
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    ETC for the full contract .
    Plus may well trash your credit record and pass debt on.

They don't show up on my credit record, at least with Experian, will this be recorded in bad times if they don't record it for the last 8 years I have paid every bill on time?
    The trouble with cancelling early is that they're quite within there rights to charge the ETC's until the end of the contract. This will be less than what you would pay in total if keeping it but of course you would need to pay it in one go.

I have seen mention of some company (can't remember which) offering to take a one of (relatively low) payment to cancel it in exceptional circumstances. Wait for them to come back to you though before doing anything else.

I won't do anything before hearing back from BT, I've explained my circumstances to them in full, and they might come back with some understanding though I won't fault them if they stick to the letter of the contract.

Technically, I wouldn't be cancelling, I don't wish to be in the position I will end up in. It would be an 'ability to pay' scenario. By contacting them ahead of time I am hoping they will either release me from the contract or at least partially allow me to opt out of some of the services I don't need at all like TV.

I'm on a discounted plan, I'd even be willing to pay the full price for the months already used, if they were to let me out of the contract. They still own the hardware which other than being dusty, works perfectly, so I would send that back to them.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hardware has no real value .
    Just wait for BT and if no go i would try a BT complaint just to see if it got anywhere .
  • sportsarb
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Hardware has no real value .
    Just wait for BT and if no go i would try a BT complaint just to see if it got anywhere .

Well, the hardware has some value to them, just none to me. All I was saying with that statement is that I haven't tried to do one on them by pawning the hardware etc.

The way I have gone about it already is to raise a complaint because, other than snail mail, it's the only way to put everything across in a way where you don't get interrupted. Also, there is some heavy content in what I said, and dropping that on front line customer service wouldn't have served much purpose as their hands are usually tied in what they can say and offer.

Going through the complaints avenue, I save everyone some time and annoyance, because it would have ended up happening anyway.
  • sportsarb
    BT have just shot ahead by a mile in the ‘best customer service I have ever received’ stakes.

I’m still going to be in a contract with them but much more manageable. Still need to save elsewhere but BT have been amazing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure