Northern Rock PPI Claim

I’m looking at putting a claim into NR and I’d like to ask some real beginners questions.

I was sold PPI by NR themselves on 2 houses / policies way back in the late 80’s and mid 90’s.

Using the NRAM site or the MSE claim page do I have to submit 2 applications, one for each policy or would one suffice ?
Unfortunately I can not find any policy numbers.

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Youll be lucky if they have any records left.
    Also, are you sure it was PPI and not MIG?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • I believe it was PPI. No harm in trying I guess. I remember being told that the endowment would pay off my mortgage too. :cry:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Simmmy wrote: »
    I believe it was PPI. No harm in trying I guess. I remember being told that the endowment would pay off my mortgage too. :cry:

NR only ever sold monthly premium MPPI. So, if there was a monthly payment to it, then it could be PPI.

If it was a single premium added at the start then its not PPI but probably MIG.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • BlackDouglas
    BlackDouglas Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I am pretty sure that I paid PPI on my Northern Rock mortgage, which I repaid in February 2019. I've applied through NRAM for information on what I paid, but will have to wait another 6 weeks to hear one way or the other. The very last sentence in my letter confirming repayment of my mortgage states that "Payment Protection Insurance is underwritten by Pinnacle Household Insurance plc."

Has anyone else had a similar experience and if so, how did they get on with their claim?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Some people will have had successful complaints. Others will not.

The outcome of your complaint will depend on your mis sale reasons.
  • dunstonh
    I am pretty sure that I paid PPI on my Northern Rock mortgage, which I repaid in February 2019.
    Most NRAM MPPI was paid by a separate direct debit direct to the insurer. Not built into the mortgage. So, you should know outright. Not be pretty sure.

Technically, most NR mortgages were put in place by estate agents, brokers, advisers. So, if you used one of them, then NR wouldnt have sold you PPI.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • BlackDouglas
    BlackDouglas Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I was sold the mortgage directly by Northern Rock. I moved from Newcastle to Bolton in 1983 and I went to them because that was where I had my first mortgage. We were only offered this one package which was quite a complicated mortgage involving part of the repayments going to a Friendly Society (Manchester Oddfellows). This was supposed to mature at the end of the mortgage term and pay off the capital on the loan (the rest of the repayments were interest). It was only sold to a few thousand people before the government put an end to whatever loophole they were using that made this arrangement advantageous. The Oddfellows thing matured with a sum which didn't meet the full value of the loan, but NR agreed to treat it as if it had. (I suspect there was a strong possibility of a mis-selling claim if they hadn't done that). I also strongly suspect that there was PPI in there too, particularly because of the last sentence in the letter confirming repayment of my mortgage.
  • dunstonh
    I also strongly suspect that there was PPI in there too, particularly because of the last sentence in the letter confirming repayment of my mortgage.

The 80s mortgages did have the functionality to include insurances within the mortgage. If you held on to any of your annual statements, you would see it on the statement as a transaction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure