Wet Dog Food

Recently came into the care of 2 adult dogs and have been trying out the different wet dog foods. Started cheap but didn't look like they particularly liked it much so I've since been trying different brands, of tinned food I might add.

What wet dog food does everyone feed their dogs?

So far I've found Naturo seems the best, some of it smells like proper food. It is a bit more expensive though but not as much as the pouches and portions you can get. Not tried any of those yet.

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,855
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    Recently came into the care of 2 adult dogs and have been trying out the different wet dog foods. Started cheap but didn't look like they particularly liked it much so I've since been trying different brands, of tinned food I might add.

What wet dog food does everyone feed their dogs?

So far I've found Naturo seems the best, some of it smells like proper food. It is a bit more expensive though but not as much as the pouches and portions you can get. Not tried any of those yet.

I always used lilys kitchen until my vet told me recently that the best tinned food to give them is actually Chappie which surprised me but he said thats the only tinned food he would recommend.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sarah1972 wrote: »
    I always used lilys kitchen until my vet told me recently that the best tinned food to give them is actually Chappie which surprised me but he said thats the only tinned food he would recommend.

Coincidentally I just got some of that when I couldn't get to the shop that sells Naturo. It does have a "Recommended by Vets!" endorsement on the packaging. Its more fish based than other stuff and you can smell it but the dogs seem to like it well enough!
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,344
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Tinned Chappie isn't a great quality food, but it is a food that lots of dogs seem to be able to tolerate when they have sensitive stomachs and problems with other dog foods. I think that's where their 'recommended by vets' comes from. For whatever reason, it just seems to work well for many dogs (original version more so that any other varieties).

My dog only gets wet food as an extra with dried, but I use Butchers Tripe Mix. I've also seen Rocco (available on Zooplus) as a reasonably priced but decent quality wet food. Naturo is def good quality, and looking at the ingredients, the only one I wouldn't be adding some kind of mixer to.

It's not always about the ratings, but what suits your dog, however you can check out the ratings on all of these on sites like allaboutdogfood.co.uk.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,855
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    mac.d wrote: »
    Tinned Chappie isn't a great quality food, but it is a food that lots of dogs seem to be able to tolerate when they have sensitive stomachs and problems with other dog foods. I think that's where their 'recommended by vets' comes from. For whatever reason, it just seems to work well for many dogs (original version more so that any other varieties).

My dog only gets wet food as an extra with dried, but I use Butchers Tripe Mix. I've also seen Rocco (available on Zooplus) as a reasonably priced but decent quality wet food. Naturo is def good quality, and looking at the ingredients, the only one I wouldn't be adding some kind of mixer to.

It's not always about the ratings, but what suits your dog, however you can check out the ratings on all of these on sites like allaboutdogfood.co.uk.

I agree with all your comments to be honest although my vet said that’s it’s great quality for a dogs nutrional needs (not that I am convinced, and I tend to agree with you)

I do feed mine home cooked chicken and rice 3 days a week also
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • My dog does really well on Chappie, with a bit of Naturo mixed in. She is a breed that is prone to obesity (or prone to soft owners that allow obesity ha) so I'm hyper vigilant about her weight and Chappie is low in fat compared to lots of other wet foods, but seems bulky enough to fill her up, which is what is needed for her.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,250
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have tried our dog on various things, but he is now on Butcher's wet food and absolutely loves it.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport