PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

PipneyJane
PipneyJane Posts: 4,050 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 14 February 2019 at 1:15PM in Old style MoneySaving
Welcome to the 2019 Fashion On The Ration Challenge. The 2018 thread was very successful and can be found here. Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, several of us are continuing our "Fashion on the Ration" challenge into 2019.

Even after last year’s challenge, I still have an overflowing wardrobe. Half of my coupons went on yarn, so rather than decreasing my yarn stash it grew considerably. My aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

2013+01+07+rationing-values-times.png

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
Pyjamas - 8 coupons
Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
Nightdress - 6 coupons
Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
  • 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
  • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw atthe Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
  • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
  • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
  • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
  • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
  • Ditto trousers
  • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
  • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
  • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
  • Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.

I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,

Comments

• I'm in - managed to stay just within my 66 coupons last year, and hoping to do at least as well this year. Thanks PipneyJane, I found this very inspiring.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 31 December 2018 at 7:21PM
    I’m in too please :)
    I haven’t taken part before, but own far too many clothes and always end up wearing the same few things so definitely don’t need more!

Am hoping not to need to buy anything except tights (for work) - will assume these will be 2 coupons per pair the same as stockings?
    and a new pair of walking shoes/trainers
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • I'm in too, please! I do need to weed out & revamp my wardrobe; I rarely buy new clothes, I'm a proud secondhand diva, but yarn & fabric may just pull me down. My last buy of 2018 was a set of silk thermals, which I counted as "combinations" although silk might be seen as somewhat luxurious! I may need to buy a couple of new bras, having lost a bit of weight lately, but everything else is still serviceable. If boring!

One of the "events" I do with my "vintage" stall is 40s/50s-based and some of my customers actually do their best to live in period 24/7, though obviously they dress "normally" for work etc. I've sold ration books, wartime diaries & patterns to the most delightful people, and I admire their mindset even if I'm more of a 70s type myself! I suspect doing the challenge will give me more of an insight into how they live, too.
    Angie - GC April 24 £356.14/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Oh, hurrah, I'm in, I'm in!

In 2018, to my shame, I ended up buying SO much from the black market... it was ghastly. I appeared to have NO sense of common decency or honesty!

In 2019, I hope to concentrate on properly using up fabric and yarn I already have, and maybe re-making or adapting clothes I already have. I'd like to overhaul the good quality clothes I never wear and let them go to a charity shop, clean and pressed and ready for someone else to enjoy. Or go to the textile-rag bin at the tip!

I would like to manage three things in 2019:

- stay within 66 coupons
    - avoid the Black Market spivs!
    - end up in a year's time, with fewer clothes than I have this minute!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    This sounds wonderful!

I 'd love to join in if possible.
    My January plan is to have a wardrobe clearout, and invest in some cotton tops for layering/wearing under my dungarees at 5 coupons a piece (my staple wardrobe is dungarees) i'm also hoping to create a pattern based on an existing pair and see my own. Picked up a large piece of fabric last year for a donation to use as my practice attempt. So will add that to my January plan.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,050 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm in too, please! I do need to weed out & revamp my wardrobe; I rarely buy new clothes, I'm a proud secondhand diva, but yarn & fabric may just pull me down. My last buy of 2018 was a set of silk thermals, which I counted as "combinations" although silk might be seen as somewhat luxurious! I may need to buy a couple of new bras, having lost a bit of weight lately, but everything else is still serviceable. If boring!

One of the "events" I do with my "vintage" stall is 40s/50s-based and some of my customers actually do their best to live in period 24/7, though obviously they dress "normally" for work etc. I've sold ration books, wartime diaries & patterns to the most delightful people, and I admire their mindset even if I'm more of a 70s type myself! I suspect doing the challenge will give me more of an insight into how they live, too.

Please tell me all about that event, Thriftwizard, and the items you sell. I would love to be a fly on the wall, to watch what goes on.
    I’m in too please :)
    I haven’t taken part before, but own far too many clothes and always end up wearing the same few things so definitely don’t need more!

Am hoping not to need to buy anything except tights (for work) - will assume these will be 2 coupons per pair the same as stockings?
    and a new pair of walking shoes/trainers

Yes, equate tights with “stockings” at 2 coupons a pair. That is rather expensive, so have you tried the “freezer trick” to help them last longer? There’s a theory that freezing nylon changes the bonds between the molecules, making them stronger; it is recommended to place your new stockings in the freezer for the night before wearing them.
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    This sounds wonderful!

I 'd love to join in if possible.
    My January plan is to have a wardrobe clearout, and invest in some cotton tops for layering/wearing under my dungarees at 5 coupons a piece (my staple wardrobe is dungarees) i'm also hoping to create a pattern based on an existing pair and see my own. Picked up a large piece of fabric last year for a donation to use as my practice attempt. So will add that to my January plan.

Welcome. Good luck with your plan for making dungarees. Please show us the results.

Don’t forget that January is a good time to go hunting in charity shops for clothes and sporting goods, because so many people have a clearout. You may find your tops there. Donated clothes are coupon free. (Personally, I’m planning to spend a lunchtime or two “on the hunt”.)

Beyond not buying any yarn unless it’s needed to complete a project, all my 2019 clothing plans are knitting related. January is often called “selfish knitting month” because people start on projects for themselves. However, for me, it’ll be “finish up month”. I want to complete the five jumpers that just need sewing up/buttons/collars knitted/ends woven in (one finished yesterday); the cardigan that needs ribbon and press-studs sewn on and potentially needs shoulder pads (I made the armholes too big); and fix the Acer cardigan which I completed, sewed up and wore twice before realising that one front is an entire pattern repeat longer than the other(!). To fix it, I have to frog the collar and one front band, unpick a sleeve and the shoulder seam. These items are on record now; so I hope to be able to show you the results before February.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    On I must have neglected to read that about donated goods!
    Majority of my tops come from charity shops. Trousers/dungarees I usually buy as I'm vertically challenged so rarely find the right fit.

I loom knit myself and I've got a couple of projects in mind to use up some stash including a wrap cardi shrug type thing and a blanket cardi as I was gifted an infinity loom so I can work on much larger pieces now.
    Sounds like you have some great projects close to completion PipneyJane!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • I've only just discovered this challenge...and I love it! :heart2: Can I join please?

I need to sort out my clothes for New Year, some things are very tatty and some things I have too many of. I think I'll go through it all and see what I need, and what I can 'afford' depending on rations.

Did anyone keep track of roughly how much 1 coupon costs, averaged over a year's rations?

What an excellent idea. Thanks PipneyJane. Hopefully this will save me some money so I can better tackle the debt in 2019. :T
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £260
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Please tell me all about that event, Thriftwizard, and the items you sell. I would love to be a fly on the wall, to watch what goes on.

It's the Vintage Nostalgia Festival in Wiltshire, in May/June. Terrible name, but a lovely family-oriented show that's grown up from a vintage car rally. I should be fit to do it again this year, provided my "mopping-up" & restoration treatment goes to plan. My stall is always based around fabric/patterns/lace/haberdashery/yarn/tools & old silk garments like saris & kimonos, but usually also includes paper ephemera - postcards, maps, old catalogues & magazines - and general lunacy like LPs, suitcases, old mops & other housewares, depending on venue/event/pitch size. In other words, I'm a magpie! But seem to have a bit of a knack for finding & sometimes renovating old things that other people would also like to own, at sensible prices.

Provided I actually do get there, I'll tell you all about it after the event & post some pics. Cross your fingers for good weather, but not too hot!
    Angie - GC April 24 £356.14/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Did anyone keep track of roughly how much 1 coupon costs, averaged over a year's rations?

Welcome! :)

I think any kind of costing is virtually impossible, because there's no allowance made for quality or materials or brand.... so my cheap £-4 Primark cotton top would be the same number of coupons as someone else's £100+ organic, hand-woven, designer top!

Even something simple like tights - most women wear cheap multipack tights from a supermarket or chainstore, but those of us cursed with long legs AND fat have to buy tights costing close to a tenner a pair (which is why i have only three pairs of tights, two of them quite a few years old...) so the same coupon-cost could be equivalent to a tenner or 50p...
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure