Free EHIC Discussion

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Indian nationals who are resident in the UK are generally eligible for an EHIC

Indian nationals visiting the UK are not

Eligibility in the main is based on residence, not nationality
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know how long these cards take to come through?

I applied for one about three weeks ago and I'm hoping that it will arrive before I go away on holiday in mid July. Am I expecting too much?
  • ShockingPink
    ShockingPink Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    Does anyone know how long these cards take to come through?

I applied for one about three weeks ago and I'm hoping that it will arrive before I go away on holiday in mid July. Am I expecting too much?
    They're supposed to arrive within 7 working days. If I were you I'd contact them to check they have received your application.
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for that.
  • tiggerjj
    tiggerjj Posts: 259 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    If your card doesn't arrive in time dont worry, just give them a call, they can confirm they have your details and give you all the info, YOU WILL THEN BE COVERED they gave me a ref number and a phone number and said that was all i needed. didn't have to test it out mind! (lukcily)
  • Good Morning,

I realised that my E111 card had expired and did a search on the web for how to re-apply for a new one, possibly because I was in a rush, I didn't realise it wasn't an NHS website and clicked on a site (ehiconline.org)

I quickly entered all my family's details (NHS numbers, D.O.B, etc) and then noticed at the foot of the page it said something about £9.90 payment. I thought this was the norm and accepted. I filled in my address and was asked to log into PAYPAL to complete the transaction...which I did. I expected an email from NHS to say that my cards were on their way, instead I got an email from paypal with the following details:

You sent a payment of 9.90 GBP to beverly moore

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

Warning bells rang and I then was prompted by a colleage that this had been in the news and to be warned by bogus websites offering E111 cards. I've obviously contacted my bank and cancelled my card and advised Paypal. My main concern is that I've divulged all my family's personal information AND our address....I'm extremely worried that someone will invade our lives and try to get credit fraudulently or worse still come to the house.

What can I do to put my mind at rest?

Your urgent advice would be most appreciated.
  • expat_mike
    expat_mike Posts: 50 Forumite
    I don't recall seeing any mention of ex-pats here but I would draw their attention to the following.

Retired British ex-pats (not early retirees) living in another EU country as residents are entitled to an EHIC card for emergency treatment when travelling within the EU. This includes visiting the UK. As of May 1st this year, the issuing authority changed. Previously if your were retired (60 women, 65 men as of today) your country of residence issued the EHIC card but now your country of citizenship will issue the card, meaning that ex-pats living outside the UK have to apply to the UK for this card. This presupposes that you are eligible for reciprocal health care in that EU country.

If you are working and paying the equivalent of the UK NI contributions to another member state, your adopted country of residence will still issue you the EHIC card as you already have rights to their health care based on contributions made to them.

I hope this clarifies the situation but for retirees, don't expect any fast response from the DWP as last month they were still months behind schedule issuing these cards to ex-pats despite having at least 6 months notice of the changes.
  • expat_mike
    Don't hold your breath as it took the DWP over 3 months to issue me a EHIC card as they "lost" me in their system and I didn't exist.
  • expat_mike
    Can Indian national's apply for EHIC card. My parents from India are visiting me In UK and I would prefer some kind of medical cover.
    Nom UK nationals cannot apply for a EHIC card nor can they receive any free health care, at least not officially.
  • lyndhurst25
    lyndhurst25 Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2010 at 5:22PM
    Does anyone what the situation is regarding healthcare costs for UK residents visiting the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands? The EHIC isn't valid as they are outside the EC. I think that there used to be reciprocal agreements between the NHS and the health services on the islands but didn't Jersey pull out at one point?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback