Free EHIC Discussion

Options

Comments

• davebr1
    davebr1 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    kevquinn wrote: »
    Thought a bit more - Google may be willing to modify the use of EHIC in adwords as the scammers are currently doing to deceive people. While it may not be illegal

google is a business, google make money from these sites.

Unfortunately its not illegal. Its not a scam, as you get the EHIC. You may feel tricked and cheated, but these sites do what is necessary to abide by the regulations set.
  • Borderlad
    Options
    There is another forum on MSE at EHIC Refund
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    There are lots of different threads on here about EHIC - just use the search facility for 'EHIC'.
  • Luk101
    Options
    Dear all,

I recently applied for renewal of EHIC.
    It cost me £23.50!
    URL concerned is:

3Ws followed by apply-ehic.org/index.php

Sorry, can't post links. LOL

Applied for a refund, no answer as yet.
    Bye
    :mad:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Didn't you notice this statement in the 4th paragraph of the home page?
    A small service charge is applicable for the corroboration facility that we offer. The European Health network is not affiliated or partnered with the NHSBA in anyway. You can apply independently, without administration charges at the NHSBSA website at www.ehic.org.uk

When did you apply and when did you ask for a refund?

Website says:
    Cancellations and refunds

During an event of a cancellation or a refund, there shall be no cancellations or refunds for applications that have already been processed and completed. You shall be charged even in the event that you do not wish to proceed any further with our process. While you avail our service, you will not be entitled at any point of the service, unless we are at fault for a seven day “deciding” period in accordance with the consumer protection act and distance selling regulations 2000 as you surrender it under our terms of conditions of use of our service.
  • whizzybee
    whizzybee Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    I am really glad I watched the show last week, Im off to Crete next week and just assumed my EHIC was in my purse. Lo and behold, it wasnt! So after some frantic hunting and a messy room later, I found it and I distinctly remember renewing it when I went to Finland last year. Valid until 2017 and did not pay a penny for it. Back in my purse now, especially as my housemate has just got back from her travels and had to spend time in a Spanish hospital as she had an ear infection, luckily she had her card and insurance!
  • jonac
    jonac Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Do not use europeanhealthcar.org.uk to get your EHIC. I needed one quickly and got screwed. £23.50! I'll live with it, but I just don't want anyone else to be shafted.
  • Hefster101
    Options
    All I can say is get one for everyone you're travelling with, and most importantly KEEP IT IN YOUR WALLET OR PURSE AT ALL TIMES whilst on away/on holiday. We've just got back last week from the Costa Del Sol, Spain, and my girlfriend had a very serious asthma attack half way through the holiday, it was so serious her breathing became so shallow that she couldn't talk, or even walk about. We called 112, patched through to an interpretor as my Spanish was only very basic, the ambulance came, we showed the paramedics her card, they were extremely efficient and friendly, took us to the nearest emergency room with me following in the car. Gave her the necessary treatment first in the ambulance and then at the emergency room, which was entirely free and no waiting. Totally invaluable, it saved her life.
  • brownpop
    Options
    We made the mistake of Googling EHIC and using the top one. They charged £17.99 and didn't even send a card. We emailed to chase it up and got a prompt reply asking for more details as we were applying for a child, but still no card!! I emailed requesting a refund but haven't received a reply. Is there any way we can get our money back? I've now applied again via the official site from your link and it was so easy. Theses unofficial people, who I suppose claim to be brokers seem like criminals to me, because they take your money, for no product and they can't make it any easier than the free site. Surely something can be done to shut them down!!??
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    brownpop wrote: »
    We made the mistake of Googling EHIC and using the top one. They charged £17.99 and didn't even send a card. We emailed to chase it up and got a prompt reply asking for more details as we were applying for a child, but still no card!! I emailed requesting a refund but haven't received a reply. Is there any way we can get our money back? I've now applied again via the official site from your link and it was so easy. Theses unofficial people, who I suppose claim to be brokers seem like criminals to me, because they take your money, for no product and they can't make it any easier than the free site. Surely something can be done to shut them down!!??

What site was it? I just googled EHIC and the first result is the official website, the second is moneysavingexpert, the third is the post office and the fourth is a broker who doesn't charge for online applications.

The only broker who charges was at position 9, and the web address is obviously not an official government site - http://www.nhs-e111-ehic.org.uk/ - no government agency would use such a convoluted address!

As to why they still exist, it's because they do nothing illegal. If you want to pay someone to apply for a free service then that's your prerogative.

I really don't understand how so many people who claim they are savvy see a random website that charges for it and just blindly assume that it's now charged for. In regards to you getting a refund, you'll have to look at the terms of the site you used - many of them have started refunding people on request.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback