What is there to do and see in and about Glasgow?

Comments

• Lally
    Lally Posts: 795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You must go here, it is in the West End beside Glasgow University. You can then wander round to Byres Road for some lunch.

http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/venue/index.cfm?venueid=4
  • If you are interested in history or geology go to Victoria Park in Glasgow where there are fossilised tree stumps from when Scotland was a tropical paradise.
    The House for an Art Lover is fabulous.If you like Charles Rennie MacKintosh then how about out a tour of the Glasgow School of Art.
    Kelvinside art gallery and Museum.
    Check out what concerts are on at SECC and The Carling Academy.There are usually matinee performances too so can make the most of your visit by going to a concert in the afternoon and a restaurant in the evening.
    The West Brewery is a traditional German brewery and restaurant in Glasgow selling traditional german food and their own beer.
    There is also a Russian Restaurant with displays of traditional crafts and art and on a sunday there is live Russian folk music.
    For a sunday breakfast or lunch try "Cherubinas" at the end of the Great Western Road.Its a relaxed little Italian cafe.Very small, very popular, very cheap, well worth a visit.
    Wander around the old cobbled areas behind Byres Road for some excellent restaurants and surprising architecture.
    Sit on the steps of the Opera House at the top of Argyll Street(Might have my street names mixed up but you will find it) and enjoy the street performers.Just keep your eyes open, Glasgow at the weekend can be full of nice surprises by way of street performers.Keep a special look out for the pavement artists from the Glasgow School of Art(usually just during the better weather)
    MY ONE BIG TIP FOR VISITING GLASGOW IS TO LOOK UP OFTEN.THE ARCHITECTURE IS AMAZING AND LARGELY GOES UNNOTICED WITH ALL THE HUSTLE AND BUSTLE BELOW.
    Or you could always go to IKEA.Visit Glasgow and take a little piece of Sweden home with you too.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    To add to shelovestobuystuff,s eulogy, for a cheap afternoon with kids, go to Queens park n the Southside, it has a pond and a rather nifty hothouse with lizards and snakes and spiders (in glass cases) and lots of different birds in cages. During the summer they have parrot shows nd stuff, or get yourselves to pollock park, home of the Burrel collection and police training dogs shows and police horse shows and all manner of things in the summer months. If you decide to take the train to these places and it,s a weekend, get a family funday ticket, kids travel free all over Strathclyde. What more can you ask
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I,m finding out new things all the time. In pollockshields theres a place called the "hidden gardens" this is part of the Tramway theatre. On Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th there will be a plant sale, on Saturday 16th June they are having a birhday party, refreshments, kite flying music ect. If you live in Pollockshields there will be a big clean up event on 24th June, turn up between 11am and 3pm on the day to get involved rewarded by a barbecue . Theres also a cafe, picnic area, opened Tuesday-Saturday 10am-8pm
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • Dida_2
    Dida_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi

If you are going shopping go to Princess Square in Glasgow
    If you like Greek Food - There is Antonios on Sauchiehall St in Glasgow City Centre
    Site Seeing- Loch Lomond, Milport great for a cheap day out and cycle aroung the island and St Andrews is lovely on a nice day

If you are staying in Glasgow use the Underground to get around and buy a weekly or a day ticket
  • Another one I have just recently discoved for myself is Bellahouston park,the childrens playpark is more like an art exhibit and there are massive sculptures dotted arround.Within Bellahouston park you will also find the "House for an Art Lover" designed by Charles Rennie MacKintosh,there is fabulous restaurant too(pricey and arty food so take a picnic if going with a family)
  • any help with cheapish clean hotel in glasgow - really ned it to be central to shops/museums /sights 1st time in glasgow coming soon so any help appreciated. thanks
  • any help with cheapish clean hotel in glasgow - really ned it to be central to shops/museums /sights 1st time in glasgow coming soon so any help appreciated. thanks
    Look up the ALBION HOTEL or the AMBASSADOR HOTEL, both around Great Western Road area so really cental but of the main streets in a Victorian style area.
    Better still enquire about halls of residence rooms to rent at universities,these are usually the cheapest accomodation during the summer holidays and used by mainly families so not as rowdy as you would expect.
    If there are more people going with you and you are going for a few days or a week or so you would definately be cheaper renting a place,look up hoseasons or blakes for cottages and townhouses to rent by the weekend or week.
  • Belair
    Belair Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just back from a long weekend in Glasgow. It was my first visit and the first of many! We had a ball, the people are very friendly, especially the taxi drivers. Stayed in Campanile Hotel as we had tickets for the Quo concert. The SEC is a 2 minute walk away and an amazing venue. Very clean hotel with comfortable beds. Double room £104 for 2 nights, breakfast extra charge at 6.95, dinner was nothing special.

Glasgow centre is wall to wall shops. Fantastic shops, you would need 2 weeks to go round them all.
    John Lewis has 85 shops :eek:
    For cheap and plentiful tasty food, visit Lauders pub on Sauchihall street. Roast beef dinner and a vodka and tonic was 4.99.:beer:

I can't wait to "Haste ye back" :T
  • orangelily8
    orangelily8 Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Jo4 wrote: »
    We are going to Glasgow and are wondering what there is to see and do especially on a Sunday? BTW we will have a car so we can travel. Is there any where we should definitely go or any where we should try to stay away from? Any good places for eating at a reasonable price and any where to get a nice meal as we will be celebrating our wedding anniversary when we are over?

Looking forward to your suggestions!
    The Counting House in George Sq is a nice wee witherspoons with a great menu at a good price, fantastic view of the main square in Glasgow too !!
    I AM WHAT I AM ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport