Pre or Post brexit?

Options
I am about to setup a couple of S&S ISAs and am wondering if it's better now or after the 29th?

I appreciate nobody has a crystal ball and it depends on the companies that form the fund but is there likely to be much of a shift after the 29th or is it not worth worrying about?

Comments

• A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sanch3z_77 wrote: »
    I am about to setup a couple of S&S ISAs and am wondering if it's better now or after the 29th?

I appreciate nobody has a crystal ball and it depends on the companies that form the fund but is there likely to be much of a shift after the 29th or is it not worth worrying about?

What do you think is going to happen on the 29th? If we default out without a deal then the pound will plummet making non-UK investments made in GBP more expensive.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Any UK market impact from Brexit should be practically an irrelevance to adequately-diversified (i.e. global) portfolios that are planned to be held for a sensibly lengthy timescale....
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    First of all there's a difference between setting up an ISA and investing, and second without knowing what investments you will make it's a crystal ball on top of a crystal ball but unless they are very niche UK only companies the only difference will be the exchange rate after that date which is yet another crystal ball.
    Also you need to understand that even if we leave the EU on 29th there's a delay of another year or so before we "really" leave and that's if we don't get a delay which is seemingly increasingly likely.
    Your investment strategy should be robust / diverse enough that Brexit is an irrelevance. Indeed it would be difficult to have a strategy in which it wasn't irrelevant anyway.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

What is this Brexit you talk about? I mean if we were leaving on 29th March, you would think we would have
    a) had a referendum
    b) had a number of years negotiating an exit

And based on that, the markets would be reacting to events over that period. Not a line in the sand date. (which is currently being scuffed over and redrawn further up the beach)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sanch3z_77
    sanch3z_77 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I didn't really think before I posted, reading the comments back it makes total sense.

Thanks for taking the time coming back to me. Appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure