BB speed test conundrum

Gers
Gers Posts: 12,010 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
I live in a remote rural area with atrocious BB speeds. For a while now I've use an EE4G home router which has given me speeds of up to 60mb - briiliant stuff.

For family reaaons I'm spending a bit of time in the big city where I have been using the domestic BT fibre BB.

As I'm paying a monthly fee for the EE thing I've now brought it back down from the sticks (well, more sands than sticks) to get my moneys worth.

I've tested the speeds from it to find it's registering between 6 and 15mb.

Can this be correct? Does the box need to settle? Why would this be?

Thanks.

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    in some areas of the city 6mb is fast and i would be happy with 0.25 meg on my mobile. More often than not my mobile just times out.

Too many subscribers and too little bandwidth

3 by any chance?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Speed reading again That:D the girl is on EE.
    Gers it may be a question of positioning you EE box nearer the Window , but look at the EE coverage maps from their web site to see what they think.
    https://ee.co.uk/why-ee/mobile-coverage
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Gers
    Speed reading again That:D the girl is on EE.
    Gers it may be a question of positioning you EE box nearer the Window , but look at the EE coverage maps from their web site to see what they think.
    https://ee.co.uk/why-ee/mobile-coverage

"You’ll get excellent coverage indoors and outdoors on 4G-enabled devices."

I'll let the white box settle next to a window and try again tomorrow. Just seems odd!
  • debitcardmayhem
    It could be congestion, I guess you have swapped somewhere like Largs , for Sauchiehall St :beer:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Gers wrote: »
    I've tested the speeds from it to find it's registering between 6 and 15mb.

Can this be correct? Does the box need to settle? Why would this be?

Thanks.

Yes it is correct. The speed reduction is due to the number of people accessing the same cell tower you're connecting to. It isn't just mobile broadband on devices like yours but also mobile phones using that cell site. There's nothing you can do but accept it. You will find that in the wee hours of the morning, say 4am, that the speeds are much higher as most poeple are in bed asleep and not streaming music and video on their mobile phones.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 March 2019 at 11:58PM
    It could be congestion, I guess you have swapped somewhere like Largs , for Sauchiehall St :beer:
    "I've now brought it back down from the sticks (well, more sands than sticks)"

You're not suggesting Largs has sand are you?:)

" live in a remote rural area with atrocious BB speeds" was written. Largs is the centre of the universe for ice cream, debit! :rotfl::j

I would suggest it's more utter hebrides to Inverness and everyone is looking up traffic congestion on the Cally canal!
  • debitcardmayhem
    "I've now brought it back down from the sticks (well, more sands than sticks)"

You're not suggesting Largs has sand are you?:)

" live in a remote rural area with atrocious BB speeds" was written. Largs is the centre of the universe for ice cream, debit! :rotfl::j

I would suggest it's more utter hebrides to Inverness and everyone is looking up traffic congestion on the Cally canal!
    Italian ice-cream Rossis perhaps, builders sand is still sand, and for sticks read scaff poles. I guessed that she is a RANgers fan hence Glasgow :eek:
  • Gers
    :rotfl::rotfl:

Yes, a temporary move from the sea of the west coast (further up than Largs) to the big city of Glasgow.

The explanation of number of users makes sense! As I live in a field and have no close neighbours I'm the only one accessing whatever cell tower there is.

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport