Moving house-keeping the same energy supplier

Comments

• masisu
    masisu Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2019 at 4:13PM
    Managed to move in, and got rid of npower ��.
    Now the property has Electricity with British Gas and Gas with Ecotricity.
    Spoke to British Gas and they “convinced” me 3 days ago to go with them for both electricity and gas.
    Just looked in the email, and saw their tariffs:
    Gas : 18.924p/kWh; Standing charge: 22.673/day
    Elec : 4.267p/kWh; standing charge: 25.167/day
    Tariff fixed until 31st March 2021. Payment variable direct debit.
    My yearly consumption up to 31 August 2018(couldn’t check recent ones as npower closed my account) was:
    Electricity 1694kwh
    Gas 506kwh
    Used to live in 2 bed flat with electric shower now it’s 1 bed flat with shower from gas mains.
    Both tariffs seem a bit high. Any advice please?

PS: forgot to ask- is there any cooling period for changing your mind and going to another supplier? My email says : electricity supplied from 13th March, Gas from 4th April.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    masisu wrote: »
    Managed to move in, and got rid of npower ��.
    Now the property has Electricity with British Gas and Gas with Ecotricity.
    Spoke to British Gas and they “convinced” me 3 days ago to go with them for both electricity and gas.
    Just looked in the email, and saw their tariffs:
    Gas : 18.924p/kWh; Standing charge: 22.673/day
    Elec : 4.267p/kWh; standing charge: 25.167/day
    Tariff fixed until 31st March 2021. Payment variable direct debit.
    My yearly consumption up to 31 August 2018(couldn’t check recent ones as npower closed my account) was:
    Electricity 1694kwh
    Gas 506kwh
    Used to live in 2 bed flat with electric shower now it’s 1 bed flat with shower from gas mains.
    Both tariffs seem a bit high. Any advice please?

PS: forgot to ask- is there any cooling period for changing your mind and going to another supplier? My email says : electricity supplied from 13th March, Gas from 4th April.
    Firstly you have got the gas and electric tariffs the wrong way round but both are very high but fixed for quite a long time.

Are you sure the 506 gas is kWh not metered units.
    How do you heat the property?
  • masisu
    edited 19 March 2019 at 5:00PM
    Hey, yes you’re right my apologies. It’s this way:
    Electricity : 18.924p/kWh; Standing charge: 22.673/day
    Gas : 4.267p/kWh; standing charge: 25.167/day
    The 506kwh is definitely right figure, because I rarely use heating, except when my son comes over(2days/week).The heating is through normal gas boiler with radiators in each room. Same in the flat I’ve just moved in.
    Used to pay £38/month (for dual tariff on old flat)with npower, and they were up to increasing the prices on 1st April.
    Old flat was 56sqm, this one is 33sqm. Any more info please let me know
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    masisu wrote: »
    Electricity : 18.924p/kWh; Standing charge: 22.673/day
    Gas : 4.267p/kWh; standing charge: 25.167/day
    Did you shop around using the comparison websites? Those prices seem extremely high.

I started a dual fuel 2 year fix with EDF last month & am paying:-
    Electricity unit rate: 15.49p per kWh
    Daily standing charge: 20.48p per day
    Gas unit rate: 3.237p per kWh
    Daily standing charge: 20.48p per day
  • masisu
    Hi Nigelb. I did the MSE comparison, found quite few deals with £150 savings, all with cash back, and 2 from same supplier BritishGas with £99 cashback- all starting with £25 cashback after 3 months.
    But most, if not all, are on variable tariffs, and all ending on June 2020- most of the firms no feedback on MSE.
    Now what is the time limit (cooling off period) for changing my mind until?
    Property already supplied with electricity by British Gas, but gas by Ecotricity.
    Moved into property 13th March.
    Called British Gas on 16th March.
    Email from British Gas received on 18th March.
    Email states- Electricity start date 13th March; Gas start date 4th April.
  • @masisu
    Have you contacted Ecotricity to setup our gas account?
    When you move into any property YOU MUST sign up with the property's exisiting energy supplier and provide opening meter readings.
    Once they have setup your account then and only then are you free to apply to other energy providers.

So you need to call British Gas and tell them about the gas as you cannot swap to them until you have signed up to Ecotricity .

You have 14 days from starting any switch to cancel so you are well within the time to do so.

Please read this advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/moving-home-your-energy-supply/moving-home-dealing-with-your-energy-supply/
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You need to look at several comparison sites & even when they tell you that a particular tariff is the cheapest you need to check the actual tariff details e.g. standing charge & pence per kWh.
  • masisu
    Thank you guys.
    Rang Ecotricity same day as British Gas-16th March. They tried get me into a variable rate after the initial tariff, told them I’m used to paying £38/month for both. The lady on the phone couldn’t believe - she quote me around £65 lol. Obviously I said no- but never got an email or letter for confirmation, that I’m the new tenant for that flat. She said anyway it takes 2-3 weeks at least.
    Then British Gas (called them afterwards), said “we’ll make the switch for you from Ecltricity to us nice and smooth. You don’t have to do anything.
    So I guess I’ve got until 4th April to find myself another cheaper supplier and to ring British Gas and cancel their “deal”.
    Or am I wrong?
  • You have 14 days from starting any switch to cancel it without any exit fees.

So it depends on the date that the switch started which looks like it was the 16th from what you have said previously.
    In that case the latest date to cancel would be 30th March but better to do it earlier not later. Hate for you to miscalculate the real 14 day period and get locked in or have to pay early exit fees.

If you do cancel the British Gas fixed deal then remember you will be paying their standard variable tariff from the 13th March for electricity until you complete a switch elsewhere.
  • masisu
    Hi again. Thank you so much for all replies.
    I’m on the phone with British Gas as I type, mostly on hold for nearly 40min. They had to speak to 3 departments and still can’t cancel my switch yet- they said they might have to charge me exit fees too. !!!!!!, are these people that incompetent? I’ve already explained 4 times in the phone that switch was made in 16th. I’ll be really happy when I’ll dump em
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure