MCE motorcycle insurance very poor!!

Options
Today I contacted MCE motorcycle insurance to do a change of vehicle, I was stunned at what they want to charge for the change.
I started my policy on the 2nd March 2019 then owning a KTM 1190 adventure, I am changing to a new 1290 adventure, I knew this would result in a increase but boy what an increase!
My original policy cost £159.97, to change would cost me an extra £102.07 this is made up of £61.57 increase for the bike and an administration charge of £40.50! This is approximately two thirds of the cost of my original insurance policy!
I then carried out a new quote on a comparison web site and a new quote from MCE was £201.46, this is an increase of £30.05 on top of my current policy for the new bike.
I then asked what I would receive if I cancelled my policy, this is even worse! I was told I would get a refund of £38.54, this means that it would cost me £121.43 for 17 days of insurance cover!
I asked to speak to a supervisor/manager and was told they wouldn’t come to the phone and would only repeat what I’ve already been told.
This would of been my third year with MCE but never again, beware of their charges, there is no loyalty and just want your money!

Comments

• bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2019 at 11:57AM
    Options
    So basically, you didn’t read the terms and conditions they sent you when you took out the policy?

All their charges are laid out in there and every new customer is given a copy.

Can’t see how any of this is their fault.

And there is NEVER any loyalty from companies to their customers, anyone who thinks there is and is loyal to a company themselves is naïve at best but most likely a fool.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Those charges were in the terms and conditions when you signed up.

Most companies charge these days for changes
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I suspect that you found MCE on a comparison site and went with them because they were cheap. This is the lesson that cheaper is usually far from best and often isn't cheaper in the long run.

If you are buying based on the lowest quote then you have to accept that, when there is any opportunity to gain extra revenue from things like admin charges etc, you will get fleeced as the broker is trying to recover their losses from under-selling in the first place. You will also find that the service is poorer when you need it the most - i.e. in the case of a claim. You are far better off going for a slightly higher cost upfront from a broker with better customer service. You will appreciate it when you need to make any changes and particularly if you have to submit a claim. I was with CN for a few years and am currently with Bennetts. Both have provided reasonable service in my experience.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who buys insurance, then decides to change the vehicle just 17 days later, without having even briefly considered whether there'll be admin fees to change the policy...?

It's a very cheap policy. £160 premium for a big 1200cc bike... Admin costs are always a larger percentage for cheap premiums.
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    MCE are cheap for a reason. As well covered above.

I used to be with Principal, but when I changed bikes they were no longer competitive, so refunded the remaining premium without charging an admin fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure