PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you looked at the Marriners site - I'm not allowed to post links as I count as a new user, but just google it (it has 2 rrs in it)

They do cotton but I'm not sure if the sort you are after

I gave up on the stocking stitch jumper and bought a pattern with an interesting mini cable and lacy pattern at the neckline and have finished the front and back. What I didn't realise is that the pattern is all up both sleeves, and is quite badly written - so much so that I had to contact the people who produced the pattern to try and sort it out. They corrected one part of it, but that has just created another problem - I think I have worked it out now, but it requires quite a bit of concentration!

I finished crocheting 3 baskets for DD's desk and then used the rest of the wool on 8 little innocent smoothie hats. I've sent them off now. I quite enjoyed doing them but it seems like a lot of effort to generate 25p!! I've also crocheted 2 preemie baby hats and knitted a wooly hat for a sailor. I then found a load of bits of wool under my bed that I didn't know I had, plus some small balls from the fronts of knitting magazines, so I am creating granny squares out of it all - I can make one sat in bed each evening. Once I have enough I will create what, in my head, is a blanket of great beauty, but as I'm not very good with combining colours will probably be a mish mash of random squares!

I've been quite ill the past couple of weeks with a lot of breathlessness which has meant spending quite a bit of time having to sit down, which is how I've managed to get so much crafting done! House is a mess and meals are a bit random though!

What is everyone else working on?
  • 2childmum2
    Options
    Also found an amazing knitting book with loads of different stitches and full of pictures for 50p at a charity shop. They actually had 2 to choose from!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    2childmum2 wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Marriners site - I'm not allowed to post links as I count as a new user, but just google it (it has 2 rrs in it)

They do cotton but I'm not sure if the sort you are after

I gave up on the stocking stitch jumper and bought a pattern with an interesting mini cable and lacy pattern at the neckline and have finished the front and back. What I didn't realise is that the pattern is all up both sleeves, and is quite badly written - so much so that I had to contact the people who produced the pattern to try and sort it out. They corrected one part of it, but that has just created another problem - I think I have worked it out now, but it requires quite a bit of concentration!

I finished crocheting 3 baskets for DD's desk and then used the rest of the wool on 8 little innocent smoothie hats. I've sent them off now. I quite enjoyed doing them but it seems like a lot of effort to generate 25p!! I've also crocheted 2 preemie baby hats and knitted a wooly hat for a sailor. I then found a load of bits of wool under my bed that I didn't know I had, plus some small balls from the fronts of knitting magazines, so I am creating granny squares out of it all - I can make one sat in bed each evening. Once I have enough I will create what, in my head, is a blanket of great beauty, but as I'm not very good with combining colours will probably be a mish mash of random squares!

I've been quite ill the past couple of weeks with a lot of breathlessness which has meant spending quite a bit of time having to sit down, which is how I've managed to get so much crafting done! House is a mess and meals are a bit random though!

What is everyone else working on?

Are you feeling better now? I hope so. If not, please go and see your GP.

What am I knitting? I've started the first sleeve of my Audrey in Unst cardigan and am a quarter of the way down the arm. (You pick up stitches at the armhole and knit down.) My plan is to make full-length sleeves, not the 3/4 ones per the pattern.

My handbag knitting project is a pair of (modified) Hedera socks, using leftover sock yarn purchased during my trip to New Zealand. (I bought 3x50g balls of a local New Zealand sock yarn.) I've already knitted one pair of socks from this yarn and am determined to use it all up. Here's a photo of the first pair:

5A63E589-DD90-4444-B6AE-1F476F674628.jpeg

That pair took 1.5 balls of yarn. Right now, I'm halfway through the foot of the first sock, having just finished the second ball of yarn, so hopefully will have enough to finish a full pair.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • CollieDog2
    Options
    pws52 wrote: »
    I am looking for ‘reasonably’ priced dish cloth cotton.....it seems to have gone up in price since the last time I bought some!

Any suggestions will be very welcome!

Thank you.

Just a suggestion, if you are knitting basic square dish cloths. Use two strands of crochet cotton and 2.5-3mm knitting needles. They are a bit scrubby and don't go as stretchy/limp as the heavier cottons you can buy.

I find crochet cotton quite often in thrift stores.
    Formerly Known as WonderCollie
  • 2childmum2
    Options
    I have been to the GP 3 times - the second time I was sent to A and E and spent the day in Resus with a suspected blood clot. Thankfully they didn't find anything, but I am coughing at getting breathless just walking up the stairs, and nothing seems to shift it. I just have to sit and knit/crochet!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    2childmum2 wrote: »
    I have been to the GP 3 times - the second time I was sent to A and E and spent the day in Resus with a suspected blood clot. Thankfully they didn't find anything, but I am coughing at getting breathless just walking up the stairs, and nothing seems to shift it. I just have to sit and knit/crochet!

I am really sorry to hear that. I really hope you feel better soon.

Your day in Resus wasn’t wasted, however. They’d have eliminated several other potential problems, too, while you were there.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    That pair took 1.5 balls of yarn. Right now, I'm halfway through the foot of the first sock, having just finished the second ball of yarn, so hopefully will have enough to finish a full pair.
    Just a suggestion, but if you can find the other end of that ball of yarn, you could start knitting the second sock before you finish the toe of that one, then if you run out you can do both toes in a different wool.

Or just do what my Mum did: I have one pair of socks where she'd obviously run out of wool on the second toe and finished in a different colour. :rotfl:

And finally, on the subject of knitting pairs of things, I sometimes weigh my yarn before starting, and then note what's left on the ball at various stages to gauge how far it's going!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    and what I'm knitting: I have finally finished the back, fronts and both sides of my mohair cardigan. 'Just' the bands and the pocket tops to do.

and I am a bit stumped. There's no diagram on the pattern of how it all fits together. I'm supposed to sew the side and sleeve seams, and then pick up stitches along the right front, right sleeve, back, left sleeve and left front. So far, so easy. But I can't work out how the sleeves fit: they are raglan, except there's a narrow strip at the top of each one which I think is meant to go along the back at the top. It may not help that I didn't actually cast off at the top of anything - obviously I can do that now, but I've got these sleeves with a wide rectangle at the top, with a narrow rectangle beyond that at one side. Hard to describe and I'm no use with pictures ...

Well, I've got a craft group on Monday, I shall take all the bits to that and consult one of my Expert Friends!
  • Happy_One
    Happy_One Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I can’t get my head round putting your cardigan together Savvy-Sue and I’m knitter of long standing, but at your craft group there will be someone who straight away will know just what to do. this is what I like about the clubs that I go to everyone is willing to help each other.
    Right now I’m on the ‘chicken run’ knitting the chicks that you put a little cream Easter egg into,want to get a load done for a fund raising coffee morning at one of the craft groups that I go to, have got a dozen here on the side waiting to be made up plus three finished ones that I’ve promised to people for a donation to the fund raising.
    At the same time and to have a change from yellow yarn! I’ve got a prem baby hat on the go to add to another collection for the neonatal ward at the local hospital, did four last week.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    DH says he may be able to help with the knitting. :rotfl: Actually he may, he's quite good at spatial puzzles.

And I've realised I can (and probably should) do the ribbing at the tops of the pockets before it all gets joined into one MASSIVE piece of work, and the button and buttonhole bands are supposed to be knitted separately and sewn on :( which is a bit tedious, but they will keep me quiet until Monday evening.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure