Terms of business, can claim company use old terms on current claim

Hello all,
4 years ago I contracted with a claims company working on my behalf.
Successfully completed and I happily paid the Invoice for services performed.

Towards the end of last year they contacted me by a flier to make me aware that it may be possible to investigate a catalogue account.

This was NEVER part of any previous contract with them, this is new business.
So, long and short is that we have received a cheque and a separate Invoice from claims company.

Trouble is that they are quoting 30% as was the terms in 2015.
But right now their terms of business quote 20%.

Are they correct in doing this?

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Have you signed a new contract? If so, then 20% is indeed the maximum fee. However, are you perhaps not taking account of the VAT and tax on your interest?
  • Thanks for the reply.
    As stated, this is new business from last year. They are quoting terms from 2015 which I signed and that's ok. But this newest Invoice is for work done in the last 6 months and was never investigated before.
    I remember signing terms last year but I cannot find them. They have scanned me the terms from 2015
    The VAT and tax is accounted for and I am being charged 30% of the sum received.

Thanks
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Perhaps 20% is for new clients?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • But not new claims?
    Interesting thought

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Jed_01 wrote: »
    They are quoting terms from 2015 which I signed and that's ok.
    Clearly this is not a new contract then.

You'll have to pay the 30% fee, just as you agreed a few years ago. Why didn't they "find" this PPI back in 2015?
    Perhaps 20% is for new clients?
    Not new clients, just new contracts...
  • Thanks for the reply,
    Was catalogue claims a thing 4 years ago? Not for me. This is new business from 6 months ago.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Was catalogue claims a thing 4 years ago? Not for me. This is new business from 6 months ago.
    Four years ago you signed a legally binding contract for the firm in question to represent you in any and all PPI complaints. There are no "catalogue claims", what you did was simply complain about another PPI policy using this company to represent you (send the letter containing your complaint in reality:eek: ).

Obviously, the original contract from 2015 still applies and it is not "new business" at all.
    I remember signing terms last year
    That would be why you are being charged the 30% then, you obviously signed these (again) before the 20% cap on CMC fees was put in place.

If you remain unconvinced, you might want to seek clarification from the Legal Ombudsman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure