Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChrisK.....
    • By ChrisK..... 14th Mar 19, 7:00 AM
    • 488Posts
    • 201Thanks
    ChrisK.....
    What a sheet system the PS4 is!! Installing a patch takes hours and could be done over night. I've b
    • 14th Mar 19, 7:00 AM
    What a sheet system the PS4 is!! Installing a patch takes hours and could be done over night. I've b 14th Mar 19 at 7:00 AM
    What a sheet system the PS4 is!! Installing a patch takes hours and could be done over night. I've been playing FO76 without the patch since the game came out so there's no hurry to install it RIGHT NOW just as I want to play, when it could happen after when I'm in bed. Sony need to sort this sheet and let you choose to play without install of huuuuuuuuuuuuge patches that take a lifetime and could done anytime
Page 1
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 14th Mar 19, 10:38 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:38 AM
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:38 AM
    I quite like the PS4.

But yeah, the nag screens about how stuff won't work properly without the latest versions are annoying, but as you said, you can ignore them and play "offline" while the updates merrily beaver away in the background. And then leave it to install after you finish playing, ready for the next time.

And yes, you can set it up to do all that overnight, but it means leaving it on standby with your internet turned on at all times, and if there is a power dip while it's in standby it will give you screenfulls of very grumpy messages teaching you all about how to turn it off properly next time.

But it's not PS4's fault, I hear the X-bone has similar issues.

If you don't want any nags about patches, then disconnect it from the internet completely, and it won't know the patch is there.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 14th Mar 19, 3:08 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 14th Mar 19, 3:08 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 3:08 PM
    Fallout 76 is an online only game therefore you are not allowed to play unless the game is fully patched, it's the same for any other online only game on the PS4, Xbox One, PC etc. For games that don't require to be online systems will give you the option to stay offline and apply the patch another time.
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 14th Mar 19, 5:08 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    • 14th Mar 19, 5:08 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 5:08 PM
    So just turn it on, set it going, go for a walk, come back and it's downloaded, what's the fuss?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Mar 19, 5:16 PM
    • 18,548 Posts
    • 47,093 Thanks
    elsien
    • 14th Mar 19, 5:16 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 5:16 PM
    About as long as your thread titles then?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 14th Mar 19, 6:28 PM
    • 28,593 Posts
    • 15,819 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    • 14th Mar 19, 6:28 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 6:28 PM
    I dont think a patch has ever took more than 2 hours maximum on mine. Perhaps its your internet connection.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Mar 19, 10:03 PM
    • 18,492 Posts
    • 11,389 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:03 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 10:03 PM
    I dont think a patch has ever took more than 2 hours maximum on mine. Perhaps its your internet connection.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Yes, not everyone has access to high speed broadband.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 14th Mar 19, 11:11 PM
    • 28,593 Posts
    • 15,819 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    • 14th Mar 19, 11:11 PM
    • 14th Mar 19, 11:11 PM
    Yes, not everyone has access to high speed broadband.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Yes or their service may be iffy. To check, a free online speed check is worth doing.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 15th Mar 19, 6:58 AM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Nilrem
    • 15th Mar 19, 6:58 AM
    • 15th Mar 19, 6:58 AM
    Fallout 76 is an online only game therefore you are not allowed to play unless the game is fully patched, it's the same for any other online only game on the PS4, Xbox One, PC etc. For games that don't require to be online systems will give you the option to stay offline and apply the patch another time.
    Originally posted by Johnmcl7
    Yup

Any online game, especially mmo types will have this, they simply will not allow you to play with outdated clients as a lot of the time the updates are to stop things like cheating.

Anyone who has played PC games, especially multiplayer online ones will be very familiar with this, as some games, especially MMO's can have big monthly patches and frequent security/anti cheat patches (which depending on how the game has been made can mean a 1mb patch requires you download a 1gb file because the patch system can't just change a single file).

The only reason it's starting to be noticed with consoles is because in the last few years more console games have had updates (some to the point where you might as well have not bought a physical copy of the game in the first place), as they now all come with storage and the ability to update so devs are more willing to ship buggy/incomplete games knowing they can just issue a patch on release day :/
    It used to be one of the big advantages consoles had was no patching/put the game in and go, but that has long since passed.
    • ChrisK.....
    • By ChrisK..... 15th Mar 19, 12:19 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    ChrisK.....
    8 hour download. I play for about an hour before work so that won't work

So just turn it on, set it going, go for a walk, come back and it's downloaded, what's the fuss?
    Originally posted by Paul_DNAP
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 15th Mar 19, 12:37 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    marcarm
    I'm assuming that you set the PS4 to rest mode, and your settings are that so it downloads updates and installs automatically?

I have never had to wait for an update unless it's a game I've just bought and it's the first time I've played it.

You need to set it so that the PS4 is able to connect to the net when in rest mode.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/games/installing--downloading---updating/how-to-set-up-auto-update-download-on-your-playstation-4/
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 15th Mar 19, 4:39 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    8 hour download. I play for about an hour before work so that won't work
    Originally posted by ChrisK.....

You're going to have to leave it on while at work then, or configure rest mode to do it.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 15th Mar 19, 6:27 PM
    • 28,593 Posts
    • 15,819 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I'm assuming that you set the PS4 to rest mode, and your settings are that so it downloads updates and installs automatically?

I have never had to wait for an update unless it's a game I've just bought and it's the first time I've played it.

You need to set it so that the PS4 is able to connect to the net when in rest mode.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/games/installing--downloading---updating/how-to-set-up-auto-update-download-on-your-playstation-4/
    Originally posted by marcarm
    I dont have mine set like that but havent had an update take 8 hours. I think solving why they take that long is what they need because they shouldnt take that long.
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 18th Mar 19, 10:05 AM
    • 413 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    I dont have mine set like that but havent had an update take 8 hours. I think solving why they take that long is what they need because they shouldnt take that long.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie

I was assuming that the 8 hours was a melodramatic exaggeration, but if it isn't then yes, there is a seriously poor performance of the ISP. Unless they are still on dial up?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 18th Mar 19, 9:34 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 3,594 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Don't blame Sony, blame the software companies who think 70GB "patches" are acceptable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,653Posts Today

8,412Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Should the contactless payment limit be increased? If so, to what? Pls vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/xpGaKlS5Mr

• No its completely wrong. Your contract is with the shop that you bought it off. The staff at o2 should be better? https://t.co/GXVXHvPkZv

• PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• Follow Martin