John Lewis Customer support

Options
This will probably sound like a weird request but.....
Does anyone know what my rights are if John Lewis have delivered items to me that I haven't ordered (I ordered one and they delivered five 🙄)? I contacted them and the initial response on the phone was great - that they would arrange to come and collect them. But then they emailed to say I should return them to a store myself.
They are bulky items and I have no intention of doing that. I’ve complained to them, and told them that they will have to come and pick them up, but haven’t had a response yet.
I haven’t been charged for them. so it’s just inconvenient. What happens if they refuse to collect them? Could I, for example, write to them and say that if they don’t collect within 14 days, I will dispose of them?
You’d think they’d be a bit more keen to get their stock back!

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are more knowledgeable folks on here than me, but I think that the legal timeline is 6 years, sorry!
  • Troi13
    Options
    Blimey! Glad I’ve got a loft to stick them in ��
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Six years is only a time limit for the statute of limitations and has nothing to do with is if you do things properly.

You are an "Involuntary Bailee". It basically means you have to look after the goods until you follow the correct procedure before you can dispose of them.

The goods will never belong to you and you can't just give them away. Good news though is that if you follow the correct procedure you get to charge storage costs.

Google the term and take it from there.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Try sending them an LBA setting out your storage charges .
    LBA letter before action via google
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It just sounds like they got their wires crossed.
    I can't believe they'd genuinely expect you to do this when the error was theirs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure