running 5k and need help with technique

Options

Comments

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    So I have introduced some speed work and I'm also introducing some endurance work too, as well as increasing my overall weekly mileage. I'm hoping to see some results in 3 - 4 months. My ultimate goal is to do a sub 23 min run. Which I might be able to achieve, especially as I have been running with a slight hamstring injury ever since I started (I'm getting physio for it). When that injury clears up, I'm hoping for a reasonable improvement.

You look to have got a very good balance, I like to do 1 fast walk a week and 1 fairly long cycle rather than attempt to run 5 times a week.

Regarding walking, as humans are designed to walk about then walking per se isn't really exercise and has no real cardiovascular benefits unless you really increase the pace. For example on Monday I did an 11 mile potter around some footpaths and bridleways but pretty much an amble. That has no fitness benefit at all (Training Effect of 0.7 TE), whereas yesterday I walked 3 miles in just under 40 minutes averaging 4.5 mph pace. That gave a training effect of 2.1 ('moderate exercise effort') - so fast walkjng can at least keep cardiovascular levels in a holding pattern - you won't increase, but won't lose the levels gained by running either and there is very little risk of injury via walking vs. running.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 December 2018 at 2:43PM
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    You look to have got a very good balance, I like to do 1 fast walk a week and 1 fairly long cycle rather than attempt to run 5 times a week.

Regarding walking, as humans are designed to walk about then walking per se isn't really exercise and has no real cardiovascular benefits unless you really increase the pace. For example on Monday I did an 11 mile potter around some footpaths and bridleways but pretty much an amble. That has no fitness benefit at all (Training Effect of 0.7 TE), whereas yesterday I walked 3 miles in just under 40 minutes averaging 4.5 mph pace. That gave a training effect of 2.1 ('moderate exercise effort') - so fast walkjng can at least keep cardiovascular levels in a holding pattern - you won't increase, but won't lose the levels gained by running either and there is very little risk of injury via walking vs. running.

I think walking is seriously under rated as a form of exercise, I also walk (briskly) most of the days that I run too, I have a dog and he doesn't come with me on the parkruns, and I don't take him on my speed sessions either. I also do some (not a lot of) weight training and core exercises 2-3 times a week too. I struggle to swim regularly because to me it just seems like hassle having to get to the pool, change and avoid busy times.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to be doing something at least 3 times a week to maintain or improve your fitness... It doesn't have to be 5k just something that tires you. Less than that and you shouldn't expect progress.

If you're just starting back - persevere til you've been exercising regularly for 6 weeks... Then you could introduce some interval training. Series of short distance sprints followed by limited recovery periods - session by session gradually reduce the recovery periods between sprints. This will improve your cardio systems capacity and shorten recovery periods when needed (hills on your 5k route etc).

On a second reading I noticed you mentioned wheezing in your chest (or something like that) - make sure you don't have a virus or something - never train until something like that is fully out your system
  • mooch
    mooch Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    youtube "pose running" to get the optimal method for distance running. you need to practice but once you get it, running is so much more effortless and easier on your body.
  • bland
    bland Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had a similar problem so downloaded "Pace Control" on my mobile. It gives audible feedback on pace as I run. I set it to alert me every half km and then adjusted my pace to keep on track with what I wanted to achieve. Obviously you will need to lower your pace but having this will keep you on track during your 5km run.
  • davidgreams
    Options
    Just run more. You'll be amazed how quickly your cardiovascular endurance improves if you just stay dedicated. If you can only run a mile before you feel like death, then start with that. After a few sessions, you'll feel good at the end of that mile and then you can add more mileage for the next run.

Rinse and repeat. Listen to your body. Don't push yourself too hard too quickly. The biggest mistake I made when I started running was not warming up. The warm-up is imperative.
  • Pension_Geek
    Options
    Sounds like a pacing issue. What kind of warm-up do you do? I need minimum 2 miles for a parkrun.
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It could also be worth looking at "jeffing".

https://www.icanrunclub.co.uk/blog/2017/7/30/what-the-eff-is-jeffing
  • colejames
    colejames Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    The five kilometers go by pretty fast, but this is also why running a 5K can be done at a very fast pace. You will definitely be running above your anaerobic threshold. This means that the oxygen you take in is no longer sufficient to metabolize the increasing lactate, which leads to a buildup of lactate in your body. Depending on how long you continue to run, this buildup inevitably leads to a drop in performance and perhaps even to complete exhaustion. High-intensity interval training can help you train your lactate threshold. This allows you to run at high speeds for a longer period of time.
  • Askalaba
    Askalaba Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Can anyone explain cadence to me? I'm trying to understand how it will impact any progress I make.

Cadence is simply the number of steps you take per minute. The aim is to have a consistent cadence throughout the race as this suggests you're pacing yourself well.

Just to give you an idea my average cadence is usually 168 steps per minute (so just under 3 steps per second). I've got a 10k PB of 39 minutes so I'm relatively quick (but nothing compared to professional athletes :D). I'm also 6"3 so my strides are quite big.

Try to get a fitness tracker that measures cadence so that you can keep on top of it
    Absolutely love a good bargain. If anybody has any money saving tips please send them my way :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure