Flights with transfer - basic info needed for inexperienced traveller

2»

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 March 2019 at 5:10AM
    As a regular user of Amsterdam Schiphol for 40+ years for both flight connections and direct I can confidently say that 55 mins transfer time is plenty for both yourself and your luggage. The only thing that might hold you up a little, if it's busy, is the passport control for entering the Schengen area departures.

In case of any delay or schedule change etc, simply go to one of the many KLM service or transfer desks and they will take care of you. Between KLM and CSA (Czech) there will be five or six daily flights AMS-PRG so no worries.

Schiphol is very calm, efficient and integrated, unlike the large UK airports. On arrival your onward departure gate will be indicated on the info screens as you head towards the arrivals/transit area. If you put the KLM app on your phone it will also be useful, including for your boarding passes.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Seagull27 wrote: »
    So it's not the same airline throughout. Could that be problematic? In the event of a delay, which one looks after me?

No, it doesn't really make a difference. If you misconnect at AMS I would seek out one of the many KLM representatives present throughout the airport. They will be able to rebook and/or advice you.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    How about a train from Cardiff to Luton or LGW?
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Archergirl wrote: »
    How about a train from Cardiff to Luton or LGW?

That's likely to double their flight cost! Trains from Cardiff to London are expensive. (more than flights to Europe)

When I did my first stop over, I was nervous about the time, so spent almost 3 hours in Dubai airport! Was very bored and very tired! I would say for your first one, have it over an hour if possible (but not more than 2.5 hours unless there's a bar in the airport!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure