Free website question

Hi everyone hopefully I’m in the right forum. I wanted to know if there are any free websites out there that don’t charge to maintain? I know wix allows you to design it for free, but is it free to keep ?

I’m wanting to start a very simple home business and looking for an easy cheap website to naivigate and easy to maintain?

Comments

• mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    Hi everyone hopefully I’m in the right forum. I wanted to know if there are any free websites out there that don’t charge to maintain? I know wix allows you to design it for free, but is it free to keep ?

I’m wanting to start a very simple home business and looking for an easy cheap website to naivigate and easy to maintain?

There are a few things to bear in mind here - "free" sites such as Wix will only give you so much and are really for self promotion or text/image based sites; ie you cant really "do" anything on them. Wix is looked on very dimly by professional web developers!

You might well also want a domain name - which would help people find your website easier.
    WordPress is free (but you can buy themes and add ons should you wish)

Something to bear in mind is a company might charge you for hosting, but if you are serious about running a home business it is actually quite a small outlay, you can get hosting from a company for cheaper then a London Pint per month and its going to be far more tailored to what you need then a Wix site.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Answer above covers it really. The Wix, 1&1 and such products all make their money on the monthly fees and add ons and, in my experinece, you end up paying more in the long run for a worse result that something that is professionally done.

Wordpress.com will let you set up something basic in a similar way to Wix for free but you do have adds and, again, there are charges for certain add ons. tumblr.com is another free online option though its more 'blog' based.
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    Is wix free though after the set up ? Or do they start to charge..

Wordpress is more of a blogging sight.
    I’m wanting to offer yoga Pilates , personal training and home sitting style business...

What website would you recommend, low cost and easy to maintain?
  • mikep22
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    Is wix free though after the set up ? Or do they start to charge..

Wordpress is more of a blogging sight.
    I’m wanting to offer yoga Pilates , personal training and home sitting style business...

What website would you recommend, low cost and easy to maintain?

Err, no. Wordpress is one of the most widely used content management systems used today. Although it does have its own website, Wordpress is nothing like Wix. People have used it for blogging (as with pretty much every CMS out there) but it is far more then that.

Wix is free to start up and you get own own domain name - and the free version will likely have adverts for Wix in various places. Its a live advert for them, essentially.

Something like a Wix could well do the job for you. But as with anything that is free, there are trade offs. It will lack customisation tools, you will have a domain name which will probably include the name 'Wix' and therefore people will be less likely to find it on a search engine, remember it, and it will look unprofessional.

As for what I would suggest, it is at this point I will say you need to do your research. but before any of that - you need to decide what you want from the website - this should drive your choice of host and platform. It is one of the most annoying things as a web developer I have - people want a website but dont stop to think about what they want from it, and therefore dont get the result they want.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    Thank you , perfect advice and information. I’ll do my research ��
  • lee989
    lee989 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Professional developer here. Stumbled across your thread so thought i'd stick my ore in. I tend to work on more complex projects but often get enquiries for this kind of thing. Here's the advice i'd normally give people.

Totally free website builders are useless. They won't look professional, and you'll quickly hit some kind of limitation that will require you to pay to upgrade. Oh and you will be stuck with an ugly domain name as they don't give free domain registration.

If you just want a standard website (homepage, gallery, contact form, e.c.t) go with Wix. There was a time is was horrible, but actually I recommend it to everyone these days. The designs are nice, clean and professional.

If you want to sell and take payments on your site then you need an e-commerce platform. Here be dragons. Don't mess around with this one, go with a well known provider. Squarespace is my recommendation.

DIY/Wordpress ? Honestly don't bother.

The thing is about all of these options, is they are a small piece of the puzzle. A website alone won't help you. You need to drive traffic towards it. Businesses spend thousands every week doing just that either by advertising or for SEO work.

If i'm sticking my ore in, here's some business advice. Forget the website, focus on your product. If you need to be able to sell online register with Etsy or whoever. Otherwise setup a Facebook Business Page. You get instant access to a large audience for free. Focus on the important things, a website won't make you money.
  • Smb3088 wrote: »

Apart from the wix there are a different website that helps you to make your website. But for a certain time period, you are to have your website on their platform. Wordpress is the best solution to have a permanent website.
  • mikep22
    If your niche is related to Yoga I would suggest going with Yola is a better option as mentioned above WordPress most widely used content management systems etc Almost 30% of websites built on Wordpress. Make a free website builder with free hosting and a free website address.

English lessons are also widely available on all platforms.

Yola and Yoga have absolutely no link whatsoever, so I am unsure of the recommendation rationale here.

I would highly recommend not using a free website address. The idea is for people to find your website, if your website address is some long elongated name such as yola,com/name/name/name.html - nobody is going to find your site. Also domain names are really cheap unless you are going for something very mainstream - you are talking maybe £4,5,6,7 a year in some instances. If your company cannot afford that then you might aswell give up from the start to be honest.
  • PookyW
    PookyW Posts: 12 Forumite
    I've developed websites for a long time. I'm not keen on how wix is built from an SEO perspective so if you're looking to rank organically ie. get traffic in google's search results naturally without paying for it, I wouldn't recommend wix personally.
    Wordpress is a very good solution but like most solutions it can be implemented properly or not. One of the biggest mistakes people make is to build a wordpress site and bloat it with a gazillion plugins, huge images, etc so it loads slow. But if you use it properly, Wordpress is my go-to and I recommend it to all my SME clients.
  • xGogsx
    xGogsx Posts: 10 Forumite
    Agree with everyone else saying don't go with a free option. If you're serious about your business, invest a little bit of money in it. A domain name only costs about £10 a year, and web hosting will only be a few quid a month. It'll pay for itself in no time compared to whatever you'll come up with from a free website builder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure