Child Maintenance Calculator for Monthly

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of guidance here, my ex-partner and I have an amicable relationship and have been separated for 2 years now, when we split we completed a family-based arrangement and although figures changed just over 12 months ago as I got into a new relationship I need to complete a new calculation as my pension % increases next month,

My query is solely on how much I have to pay to her based on the Gov calculator.

With the new figures, it states £53 a week, but as I pay monthly is it fair to assume that I use this weekly figure and multiply it by 52, for weeks in a year and then divide it by 12 to get the total; or do I just multiply that amount by 4? There's a difference between the two and I don't want to upset my ex by saying actually we've had the figures wrong as I've always calculated with the higher amount, "X" x 52 / 12.

I don't see any information regarding this so I'm hoping others with similar experience can clarify.

Many Thanks!

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd say either multiply by 52 and divide by 12 or give her 13 4-weekly payments. Let her choose, if both are acceptable to you.
  • pmduk wrote: »
    I'd say either multiply by 52 and divide by 12 or give her 13 4-weekly payments. Let her choose, if both are acceptable to you.

Thanks for the response, I didn't think of that other option.
  • newbutold
    newbutold Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Bare in mind that 13 x 4 weekly payments would mean you paying her twice in one month in a year period.

My partner pays his ex monthly on direct pay worked out via CMS. They calculate the amount payable with a weekly figure and then use the x52 divide by 12 sum to procedure the figure he is to pay her each month.
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me :D
  • newbutold wrote: »
    Bare in mind that 13 x 4 weekly payments would mean you paying her twice in one month in a year period.

My partner pays his ex monthly on direct pay worked out via CMS. They calculate the amount payable with a weekly figure and then use the x52 divide by 12 sum to procedure the figure he is to pay her each month.

I was more after other people's experience with CMS, as I then understand the system better.

I'll be most likely going with the 12 payments rather than 13, as it's financially better that way.
  • newbutold
    newbutold Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was more after other people's experience with CMS, as I then understand the system better.

I'll be most likely going with the 12 payments rather than 13, as it's financially better that way.

The CMS will workout what child maintenance is payable per week based on your earnings. If you wish to pay it monthly, they use the times 52, divide by 12 calculation to give you your monthly figure.

On direct pay they work out a new payment schedule for you every 12 months, using your previous 12 months earnings.
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me :D
  • newbutold wrote: »
    The CMS will workout what child maintenance is payable per week based on your earnings. If you wish to pay it monthly, they use the times 52, divide by 12 calculation to give you your monthly figure.

On direct pay they work out a new payment schedule for you every 12 months, using your previous 12 months earnings.

Thanks for confirming. I've now based my figures on the above.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    newbutold wrote: »

That might be useful for the ex, at eg, summer holidays, back-to-school or Christmas, providing the OP has budgeted for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure