Couch to 5K support thread.

Comments

• indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I used the app and found it very helpful.

indesisiv, I never knew about the correlation but it explains why my longest runs have me running like a 'real' runner towards the end instead of my usual snail's pace!

I was referring to training volume rather than length of run.
    The reason things feel better at the end of a run is that you are warmed up. Before running 5k it takes my body nearly 5k to warmup. Then I start running easier and breathing less.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Hi all.
    I'm going to have a read through of the thread when I get time but I have found that the couch 2 5k app is great. And it's free which is even better.
    Sarah Millican talks me through my runs and I'm now on week 5.
    I run in the gym on the treadmill and them will do a class or maybe 5k on a bike after I do my run
    I've surprised myself by coping as I have arthritis in my hips and knees and was letting that stop me doing as much exercise as before.
    In week 1 I just about managed 1 minute runs. But because the app was telling me to I just kept going.
    Did the second week 5 run last night and was quite horrified to go from 5 min runs to 8 min runs but I did it!!!!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,599 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Narc0lepsy wrote: »
    What sort of things did you do to improve? I tried the C25K follow-on podcasts but have discovered that I seem to move my legs quickly but don't cover much ground, as jogging in time to their beats-per-minute felt really slow, as if I had to be hovered in the air before landing!

I know one of my time factors in my local run (Harlow) is affected by the fact that the start and first part of the course are uphill; we're not talking Peak District steepness, but if all your training is on the flat (mine is on an old airfield) it feels like a mountain. There are a couple of other 'inclines' on the course; one of which is short and steep so I've always walked up it because the first time I did the run it had been raining so it was slippery. If I can face the mild embarrassment, I should try walking the first part from the start then my running on the rest of the course should be better. That's my theory anyway.

Procrastinating but planning to run this week; Mon and Tues are my zumba days so hopefully Thurs/Fri/Sun although not necessarily all three.....
    It was a boot camp type thing so burpees, hill climbers, planks, running circuits/sprints. There was quite a steep hill in the park where the training was and we did have to run up and down that on a regular basis. Any slight incline kills me.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Can't believe that I just ran for 20 minutes non-stop!
    I struggled with 1 minute runs 5 weeks ago so I'm well-chuffed.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • rosie383 wrote: »
    Can't believe that I just ran for 20 minutes non-stop!
    I struggled with 1 minute runs 5 weeks ago so I'm well-chuffed.

Nice one! It's amazing how it gets you there, great programme.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • good on you, it gets easier
  • Finchy2018
    Finchy2018 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Has anyone just started? I have done c25k twice before, but had to stop running for. a few years due to some lung issues. I restarted last week, and will be doing W1R3 tonight, would be nice to chat to anyone at a similar stage!
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How did it go, Finchy? I did C25K a couple of years ago and still try to get converts but have to admit I'm not running as often now (never got back into my stride since an operation).

• Finchy2018
    Finchy2018 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    It's going well! Week 3 completed yesterday (oh my i should have gotten up earlier, it was so hot!) and start week 4 tomorrow !
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Finchy2018 wrote: »
    It's going well! Week 3 completed yesterday (oh my i should have gotten up earlier, it was so hot!) and start week 4 tomorrow !

Brilliant! This makes me think I should plan a run, though preferably not in the heat.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family