Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roy harper
    • By roy harper 11th Jan 19, 12:18 PM
    • 192Posts
    • 519Thanks
    roy harper
    Carers Premium
    • 11th Jan 19, 12:18 PM
    Carers Premium 11th Jan 19 at 12:18 PM
    Hi,
    I'm on ESA Support for severe depression.
    I also look after my disabled relative who is on Higher mobility PIP and ESA Support for years.
    I have been told by another relative that I could claim a Carers Premium.
    I am worried that if I make an application that my present situation will change for the worse. I worry I'll be moved to Universal Credit, (not currently in our area).
    I guess I'm looking for someone to say - just apply and you'll get a little more money for looking after your relative's physical needs.
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Jan 19, 2:30 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:30 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 2:30 PM
    To get the Carer Premium you would have to claim Carers Allowance. Once awarded you will get the Carer premium (36/week) included in your ESA but the Carers Allowance (64.60/week) is taken into account as income. You end up 36/week better off.

You need to clear that the care you are providing does not contradict the reasons you are getting your ESA.

If the person you care for lives alone and gets the Severe Disability premium (64.30/week) in their ESA award they will lose this if you claim Carer's Allowance.
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 11th Jan 19, 5:00 PM
    • 4,506 Posts
    • 4,928 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:00 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:00 PM
    Hi,
    I worry I'll be moved to Universal Credit, (not currently in our area).
    Originally posted by roy harper
    Full service UC is now live in all areas of the UK for new claims
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 11th Jan 19, 5:58 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 3,372 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:58 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:58 PM
    "I also look after my disabled relative who is on Higher mobility PIP and ESA Support for years."

For you to claim the carers premium on your ESA, he has to be in receipt of a PIP Daily Living award.
    Just an award of mobility will not enable you to apply for Carers Allowance.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • roy harper
    • By roy harper 11th Jan 19, 8:00 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    roy harper
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:00 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:00 PM
    Thank you for your helpful replies.
    My relative lives with me and is in receipt of the daily living component and highest disability rate.
    Please can you just confirm - if I go ahead will my Housing Benefit then change? I mean is the Carer's Premium treated as income??
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Jan 19, 8:14 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:14 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:14 PM
    Thank you for your helpful replies.
    My relative lives with me and is in receipt of the daily living component and highest disability rate.
    Please can you just confirm - if I go ahead will my Housing Benefit then change? I mean is the Carer's Premium treated as income??
    Originally posted by roy harper
    If you get income based ESA you are automatically entitled to maximum housing benefit for eligible rent. As you will still be receiving income based ESA there should be no change.
    • roy harper
    • By roy harper 11th Jan 19, 9:52 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    roy harper
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:52 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:52 PM
    Thank you so much everyone for taking the trouble to reply.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

52Posts Today

2,593Users online

Martin's Twitter