Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rorysdad
    • By rorysdad 11th Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 11Thanks
    rorysdad
    PIP and carers allowance
    • 11th Jan 19, 1:12 PM
    PIP and carers allowance 11th Jan 19 at 1:12 PM
    My wife has stage 4 cancer and for the past 9 months has been receiving twice weekly treatment in our home from nurses as she has a huge open wound caused by infection following surgery in April 2018.

The cancer was diagnosed in 2014. She has been receiving PIP since that diagnosis.

She notified PIP of the wound and they stopped her claim.

In their decision they effectively suggest that her condition cannot be that bad as she receives carers allowance for our special needs son.

What implications does this have for my wife and my son?

I thought that a PIP recipient was entitled to claim carers?

Rd
Page 1
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 11th Jan 19, 7:07 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 4,155 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:07 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:07 PM
    Has she challenged the decision

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/

If not - she should but please note the timescales

Might be a good idea to get some help from MacMillan. Especially if they have a benefits advisor in your area

https://finance.macmillan.org.uk/benefits/benefits-online

If she still qualifies for Carers Allowance then that should continue okay

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/carers-allowance/
    Last edited by NeilCr; 11-01-2019 at 7:10 PM.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 11th Jan 19, 7:15 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    tomtom256
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:15 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:15 PM
    PIP should not have been stopped purely because she claims Carers Allowance.

Many people and couples on PIP/DLA claim CA for each other and other people without issue.

I would challenge it and ask for the full decision in writing.
    • rorysdad
    • By rorysdad 12th Jan 19, 2:29 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rorysdad
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:29 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:29 PM
    Thanks for the reply. What the PIP people are saying in the Mandatory Reconsideration Notice is that where my wife says for instance that she cannot prepare meals, cannot walk more than 50 metres, cannot stand for long periods - then how come she can care for our son and receive Carers Allowance?

I have in fact been reading more on the above myself and what I have found is that you have to provide care for 35 hours per week and there is no legal definition of the word "care". So, providing "care" for 35 hours per week (5 hours per day) may not necessarily mean that you have to be preparing meals etc?

It could, for instance, be argued that "care" is being provided in *supervising* someone when they are getting dressed/undressed, when they bathe and generally being around to ensure that they come to no harm etc?????

RD
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 12th Jan 19, 2:42 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:42 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 2:42 PM
    It could, for instance, be argued that "care" is being provided in *supervising* someone when they are getting dressed/undressed, when they bathe and generally being around to ensure that they come to no harm etc?????RD
    Originally posted by rorysdad
    Spot on. Someone can qualify for DLA or PIP because they need supervision or prompting to do things. The carer therefore does not need to do things but needs to be around to provide warnings of risk or to call for emergency assistance. Obviously such supervision can be provided while sitting down.
    Last edited by calcotti; 12-01-2019 at 5:39 PM. Reason: typing correction
    • rorysdad
    • By rorysdad 12th Jan 19, 4:29 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rorysdad
    • 12th Jan 19, 4:29 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 4:29 PM
    We are getting a report from our GP about my wife's conditions which will form part of the PIP appeal and when I mentioned what PIP had said about the carer's allowance side of things our GP thought it was ridiculous and commented "Any good parent would provide care for their child, even if they had no limbs"!!

RD
    • rorysdad
    • By rorysdad 12th Jan 19, 4:32 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    rorysdad
    • 12th Jan 19, 4:32 PM
    Macmillan
    • 12th Jan 19, 4:32 PM
    Might be a good idea to get some help from MacMillan. Especially if they have a benefits advisor in your area

Macmillan have been no use whatsoever over the 4 years my wife has been suffering with cancer.

Everyone's experience is different but I know from reading posts on various cancer-related groups on Facebook that others have the same experience/opinion.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 12th Jan 19, 5:20 PM
    • 2,864 Posts
    • 4,155 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:20 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:20 PM

Macmillan have been no use whatsoever over the 4 years my wife has been suffering with cancer.

Everyone's experience is different but I know from reading posts on various cancer-related groups on Facebook that others have the same experience/opinion.
    Originally posted by rorysdad
    Sure.

We all have different experiences. Although FB groups, generally, are not representative of the whole.

I am still inclined to think it might be good for you to have some help with the MR. How long have you got to submit it? Could be worth a visit to CAB or similar
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

650Posts Today

6,335Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Early days but with 5,000 votes in... 28% think the PM should still be in role by April's end, 72% she shouldn't.? https://t.co/YXMthdN9tq

• Today's Twitter Poll: Should Theresa May still be Prime Minster at the end of April, and will she be?

• It's Friday, it's five to five and it's time for.... (not crackerjack). Me to sign off social media for the weeken? https://t.co/26qXQjBHfL

• Follow Martin