Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 17th Dec 18, 9:49 AM
    • 12,594Posts
    • 5,200Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Care/attendance allowance
    • 17th Dec 18, 9:49 AM
    Care/attendance allowance 17th Dec 18 at 9:49 AM
    I wonder if someone with knowledge of these things could give me a little guidance as I'm unsure if I can make a claim?

I have a long standing DLA award, low rate care/high rate mobility, I think this means that as I only get LR care we can't claim carers allowance.

That is a fair award but recently we have been hit hard as I have now, totally unrelated, been diagnosed with cancer. I don't know enough about the final outcome as still fighting for the right to have surgery but my pre existing conditions aren't helping.
    Point is I'm getting more dependant on help from my wife to the point that she has now been finished from work under ill health and I think is claiming Income support for the short term. I think this lasts for 12 months and we are 3 months into this.

Any can's and cants appreciated before we head off in the wrong direction.

Sympathy not needed, we all get caught in a shat storm at some point, and we have to accept and deal with it, just a little help when wading strange waters helps.

Thanks
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th Dec 18, 10:03 AM
    • 12,253 Posts
    • 14,078 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 17th Dec 18, 10:03 AM
    • 17th Dec 18, 10:03 AM
    If you believe that you have more care needs than before you should report your change of circumstances to the relevant department re: your DLA award. It is likely that you will be reassessed for PIP instead of DLA but you may then be awarded the standard living rate of PIP which would mean that your wife can apply for Carer's Allowance.

I am not sure of your circumstances before your wife started claiming a benefit in her own right. Were you claiming ESA?

Can you check whether it is Income Support that your wife is claiming? I suspect she is claiming contribution based ESA as you talk about it being only for a year.

Have you been added to her benefit claim?

You can try a benefit calculator like www.entitledto.co.uk to see what else you may be entitled to?

Have you children? Do you rent/own your home?

You may want to visit CAB to ask for a full benefits check or if you can answer my questions we may be able to suggest a way forward.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th Dec 18, 10:06 AM
    • 4,728 Posts
    • 4,427 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 17th Dec 18, 10:06 AM
    • 17th Dec 18, 10:06 AM
    You're right your wife won't be able to claim carers allowance if you're only claiming low rate care DLA. If you were under 65 on 8th April 2013 you'll eventually be invited to apply for PIP. At this point it will help to know if this will include yourself, without having to ask for your age of course.

It will also help to know exactly what benefits you're both claiming. Do you work?
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 17th Dec 18, 11:02 AM
    • 12,594 Posts
    • 5,200 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:02 AM
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:02 AM
    If you believe that you have more care needs than before you should report your change of circumstances to the relevant department re: your DLA award. It is likely that you will be reassessed for PIP instead of DLA but you may then be awarded the standard living rate of PIP which would mean that your wife can apply for Carer's Allowance.

This I understand, I and especially my wife want to avoid the stress of being reassessed at this time, you're right I should re apply but..........

I am not sure of your circumstances before your wife started claiming a benefit in her own right. Were you claiming ESA?

I retired early 10 years or so ago,but was still claiming ESA up to about a year ago when I reached 65.

Can you check whether it is Income Support that your wife is claiming? I suspect she is claiming contribution based ESA as you talk about it being only for a year.

Yes, that's what she gets

Have you been added to her benefit claim?

Not sure what you mean there but have claimed nothing in addition yet, this is me just trying to narrow down or rule out what we definitely can't apply for

You can try a benefit calculator like www.entitledto.co.uk to see what else you may be entitled to?

I get that, just value the expertise on here as a 1st point of call

Have you children? Do you rent/own your home?

Own home, no liabilities, kids grown up

You may want to visit CAB to ask for a full benefits check or if you can answer my questions we may be able to suggest a way forward.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo

Hope that answers

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

• cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 17th Dec 18, 11:05 AM
    • 12,594 Posts
    • 5,200 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:05 AM
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:05 AM
    You're right your wife won't be able to claim carers allowance if you're only claiming low rate care DLA. If you were under 65 on 8th April 2013 you'll eventually be invited to apply for PIP. At this point it will help to know if this will include yourself, without having to ask for your age of course.

It will also help to know exactly what benefits you're both claiming. Do you work?
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Answers as above poppy

• cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 17th Dec 18, 11:11 AM
    • 12,594 Posts
    • 5,200 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:11 AM
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:11 AM
    Totally aside from this the postman has just arrived, big manilla envelope which I thought ironically was the conversion to PIP forms.

Wrong, it seems I was claiming ESA from July 2013 up to Dec 2017 and the claim forms are ESA3 (IBR) suggesting I may have been entitled to Income based ESA for that period. Don't think it affects anything said here but .........

• NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 17th Dec 18, 11:29 AM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 4,147 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:29 AM
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:29 AM
    I'd strongly suggest getting in touch with MacMillan. They often have local benefits advisors who will be able to help you with all this. We have one in our area and he is very good

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/organising/benefits-and-financial-support/benefits-and-your-rights
    Last edited by NeilCr; 17-12-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th Dec 18, 11:47 AM
    • 4,728 Posts
    • 4,427 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:47 AM
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:47 AM
    Wrong, it seems I was claiming ESA from July 2013 up to Dec 2017 and the claim forms are ESA3 (IBR) suggesting I may have been entitled to Income based ESA for that period. Don't think it affects anything said here but .........
    Originally posted by cyclonebri1
    If your wife was working more than 24 hours per week at anytime during this time then you won't be entitled to any back dated money.

Fill it in and return it just in case because you never know. They're contacting everyone that transferred from IB regardless of their circumstances.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th Dec 18, 11:50 AM
    • 4,728 Posts
    • 4,427 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:50 AM
    • 17th Dec 18, 11:50 AM
    Is your wife receiving carers allowance for looking after someone else? I'm a little confused why she's claiming Income Support. How long has she claimed Income Support for? Also Income Support isn't time limited to 12 months. See link for details about Income Support.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Income-Support/Who-can-get-Income-Support

Are you 100% sure she's not claiming Contributions based ESA?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th Dec 18, 11:52 AM
    • 12,253 Posts
    • 14,078 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Yes, I agree that you need some support.

It is extremely difficult for us to help when we don't know all the facts.

Are you receiving a state pension?

I cannot understand how your wife is claiming Income Support as it is a means tested benefit and would be based on both your incomes. Also it has conditions attached to claiming and I cannot see (from what you have said) how she and you would meet these conditions. On what basis did she claim Income support?

As you are over 65 yrs old then it is possible that you and your wife are eligible for Pension Credit.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 17th Dec 18, 2:04 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    calcotti
    As you are over 65 yrs old then it is possible that you and your wife are eligible for Pension Credit.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    In respect of any means tested benefit entitlement that may exist Pension Credit would certainly be the easiest route (and is likely to be the most advantageous). https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/pension-credit/

If OP is of pension age Pension Credit will top up joint income to 248.80/week (will be less if any savings over 10,000). There is a calculator here https://www.gov.uk/pension-credit-calculator.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 17th Dec 18, 4:27 PM
    • 12,594 Posts
    • 5,200 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    If your wife was working more than 24 hours per week at anytime during this time then you won't be entitled to any back dated money.

Fill it in and return it just in case because you never know. They're contacting everyone that transferred from IB regardless of their circumstances.
    1st few seconds of reading the form header meant it got binned, savings rule any claim out. The personalised bits before the form gave no indication as to the nature of the letter so this is best forgot

• cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 17th Dec 18, 4:30 PM
    • 12,594 Posts
    • 5,200 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Is your wife receiving carers allowance for looking after someone else? I'm a little confused why she's claiming Income Support. How long has she claimed Income Support for? Also Income Support isn't time limited to 12 months. See link for details about Income Support.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Income-Support/Who-can-get-Income-Support

Are you 100% sure she's not claiming Contributions based ESA?

No I'm not, she may well be and thinking about it will be. Sorry, it does all get confusing. We have looked after ourselves very well so far so any means tested benefits are out.

• Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 17th Dec 18, 5:52 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 3,372 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    I'd strongly recommend getting advice from a Macmillan welfare adviser (per NeilCr).

1) To review whether a PIP claim (prompted by a request for a DLA change of circumstances) would be advantageous. This will be complicated because of your Mobility award:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    (Note that enhanced PIP Mob is limited to 20m rather than the 50m of high rate DLA).
    This is decision that requires informed and careful thought. It will be also influenced by your overall benefits situation.

2) For a benefits check and better off calculation (e.g is a Pension Credit claim possible).

I, like others, think your wife is not receiving IS but more likely contribution based ESA. However since you are not sure - you really need to:
    Take all relevant to a welfare benefit adviser and get accredited advice on your complicated benefit situation.

Are you receiving Council Tax reduction?
    What are your savings? If over 16k your wife cannot receive IS as this is a means tested benefit.
    Contribution based ESA is not means tested but depends on NI contributions.

Please contact Macmillan (or your local CAB), with all your details before taking any action to change your current benefits.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 17-12-2018 at 5:54 PM.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th Dec 18, 7:31 PM
    • 4,728 Posts
    • 4,427 Thanks
    poppy12345
    [QUOTE=cyclonebri1;75197662 so any means tested benefits are out.[/QUOTE]

As Income Support is a means tested benefit then she won't be claiming this. As has been said, it's most likely Contributions based ESA she's claiming.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Dec 18, 8:32 PM
    • 28,903 Posts
    • 17,505 Thanks
    xylophone
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72878372#post72878372

The OP was paying tax on his private pension and is now in receipt of his state pension as well.

He also mentioned (about eighteen months ago) that his wife would shortly be eligible for state pension.

It seems unlikely that they would be eligible for pension credit?
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 18th Dec 18, 8:30 AM
    • 12,594 Posts
    • 5,200 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Thanks for all the replies, and very perceptive Zylo, . My wife is caught in the trap than females born around 1954/55 all were, ie her state pension age shot up from 60 to 65 plus with little time to make new arrangements, she still has 12 months to go to SP date so anything in the meantime would help.

As said earlier I know the correct thing to do would be to get reassessed for pip but I'm not up for that at this time, more a case of letting sleeping dogs lie.

Anyway again thanks, all is taken on board and probably best to leave it at that,to all

• cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 11th Jan 19, 6:24 PM
    • 12,594 Posts
    • 5,200 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Thanks for observing my request to cool the thread but events have yet again overtaken me.

I didn't want to take the hassle of a DLA to PIP conversion but have now had to file a DS1500 form with the DWP. Effectively this means I'm claiming higher rate emergency care on PIP. Letter back today acknowledges the claim after GP sent the form in.

2 questions, a quick read states PIP only clamable up tp 65, I'm 66 and already on DLA, is that taken into account?

Also, this PIP claim is only for the care side of things, I get high rate mobility DLA at present, will that be challenged or reassessed or whatever??

Thank you.

• calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Jan 19, 6:38 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    calcotti
    You cannot normally claim PIP after state pension age. However if you are already getting DLA you are allowed to apply for PIP and can be awarded both daily living and mobility components. They will look at the whole award. With a DS1500 you are guaranteed the enhanced rate of daily living, whether or not you get the mobility component depends on how you are affected by your illness. In practice DWP seem to generally award enhanced rate mobility as well if a DS1500 has been submitted.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 12th Jan 19, 2:42 PM
    • 12,594 Posts
    • 5,200 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Thank you, I kind of assumed and hoped that would be the case

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

1,990Users online

Martin's Twitter